Sonivox Film Score Companion

cclarry

Sound on Sound review:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sonivox-film-score-companion

Summary

If you’re in the business of creating broad brush stroke orchestral mock-ups, Sonivox’s Film Score Companion collection will get you rocking straight out of the box. Recorded in a great concert hall acoustic and focusing on the most useful playing styles, its symphonic strings, brass and woodwinds sound classy and grandiose. A superior Steinway grand recorded in the same space covers all the bases from Rachmaninov to rock, while the Big Bang Cinematic Percussion instrument (which contains a wealth of African drums as well as orchestral percussion) does what it says on the tin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is someones demo of the strings that shows  how it sounds out of the box:

I have had it for a long time, but have had EWHO platinum for a longer time, so it always ends up with the later one. These strings has no vln1/vln2, just violins, but if you need it you can use the violins twice with different EQ/panning I guess.

I took some time to "fiddle" around with it, and with expression/modulation you can get a pretty realistic string sound. Favorites: pizz (when you hit hard there is "bartok pizz") and violin espressivo.

A no brainer, if you dont have any of the 400+$ libraries. Quick to use, perfect for mockups.

The sounds of the string, brass, and woodwind libraries, while old, sound remarkably good, and are a huge bargain for the price.  I'm not at my music computer at the moment, but I remember there being some nice bonus patches in there, like runs.    I particularly like the Woodwinds. 

The big problem is the lack of legato, and this puts them not in the same league of libraries of even Miroslav vintage, and makes them a lot less realistic than all the libraries that have been brought out in the last half a dozen years or more.  

Also, there are no mod wheel dynamics controls, ie  no change in timbre when the sounds get louder.  Some fake this by MIDI mapping volume and a bit of EQ high shelving to the mod wheel. 

But they are great starter libraries, and pros still use them to layer with their other libraries.   And this would be a great way to add strings to the background of a pop song.

The strings sold for $1 in early 2017, and the other two I got for $4.99 each I think.   I think I may have paid more than $19 just for Big Bang, so this is quite a deal to get all this and the 88 too.

I think Big Bang is a good deal, but it crashes DAWs, which SONiVOX knows about, but has never bothered to fix.  The workaround is to press the "Learn" button before playing any notes. 

• Like 1