Palm Muting Guitar

Kim

Hey,

newbie here and I hope this is the right sub-forum. I would like to know if it is possible to simulate a palm muted sound on a (electric) guitar VST + Audio FX "TH3". Does someone already have experience with it?

Depends on what you are looking for...
A Guitar VST like TH3 will process you playing palm mutes on your guitar (similar to using a guitar amp).  In this case you're not simulating pal mutes your playing them.

If you're looking for something that going to take already recorded guitar sounds and make them sound like palm-muted notes ...maybe, but the results would probably not be what you're looking for.  I mean you could probably craft an FX chain to do that but lot of effort for minimal payoff.
If you really want to go that route talk to your friend Google and you can find a thread or 2 describing the technique.

If you're looking for realistic sounding palm mutes and don't want to use a guitar to create them - there are a number of Kontakt libs that have sampled palm mutes.

Here's a freebie:
https://forums.envato.com/t/free-palm-muted-guitar-for-corporate-music/7644/4

Sample of sound:  test1.mp3

It will take a licensed version of Kontakt to use it though, and then you could TH3 (or a number of other plugins) to 'amp' it up.

Or here's one of Orange Tree Samples commercial libraries. If I recall correctly many of their guitar libraries include palm muted patches and can be used by the free Kontakt player.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply TheSteven.

The electric guitar VST I am using doesn't seem to offer sampled palm muted sounds, so I initally wanted to use FX to turn a "normal" sampled sound to a palm mute one. Yes, I did try using Google to simulate this, but the results are technical overwhelming for me, so I hoped maybe here someone can try to explain it to a dummy like me :)

Can you recommend a good free electric guitar VST that comes with normal and palm muted samples? Your examples above do require purchasing one thing or the other (either the VST itself or the medium that uses it) and I don't want to buy them yet, since I just started producing music.

These free sfz soundfonts have palm muted sounds.

https://unreal-instruments.wixsite.com/unreal-instruments/standard-guitar
https://unreal-instruments.wixsite.com/unreal-instruments/metal-gtx

You can use them loading in the sfz player called sforzando.
It's direct sound of electric guitar, so make sound up with using amp simulator like TH3.

Edited by HIBI
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

I installed sforzando and I am able to load it up into cakewalk with the soundfont you linked above. Now in sforzando I can switch between the "K-Switch"es giving me the option to change the play style like "sus_down" and "mute_down". 

My question is: How can I switch between them dynamically using cakewalk? Or maybe I need multiple instances of sforzando?

No need multiple instances. If loading KSOP patch, put midi notes of both melody and key-switch on in the PRV of the same instance. You can also use velocity version (VSOP patch).

Download these manuals (_EN.pdf is in English) and sample midi files below and check how to switch articulations.

Note: for use in Cakewalk, you need to shift one octave from Key-switch notation of the manual.
Ex. Sustain Down is "C1" in the manual  =>  "C2" in default setting Cakewalk

Edited by HIBI
  • Thanks 1

If you want to simulate Palm Muting with a VST Guitar this can be done very easily. Most VST Guitars will allow you to do this by turning down the Volume/Velocity on the actual notes in Piano Roll Window. 

For example, use eight notes, and control the Velocity of these notes in the piano roll window so the velocity is below 40 and you should start to hear the changes in texture to the notes.

You should also be able to control the Palm mute settings in the instrument settings.

Which VST instrument are you using for your guitar?

Thanks, Hibi. After reading the manuel and looking at the MIDI examples it worked.

Zaquira, I used an electric guitar VST coming with Finale 2014 using Aria Player. I believe it is part of the Garritan instruments.