Audio bounce to clip - worth doing?

AB77

Hi everyone.  I hope you are all well!!!

If I have a track with a bunch of clips on it (from many takes) - if I bounce to clip - so it no longer has separate clips - and then I save as a bundle for instance, the size of the file is reduced.

So, is it worth reducing the size of the file for any effective purpose (other than saving space)?  Does it make it run smoother - less impact on cpu, etc?  And is there any audio quality loss by making one whole track line - one clip???

Thank you,

AB

BOUNCE THAT SUCKER.

Sample rate is sample rate, and this is digital, no generation loss in making a copy so long as resolution remains constant.  If it ends up on a CD it will eventually be transcoded down to 44.1/16, and much lower for web friendly formats. 

And yes, less CPU load and storage load.  Once it is one big .wav it is a "a Large file contiguous read" from the storage (those are the best kind)  and will be smoother, and the CPU isn't having to keep track of X number of things.

Edited by StudioNSFW

It's worth keeping in mind, that a bundle file is not recommended for  the main storage format. It's handy, when you want to send files over or so, but it's a vulnerable format. If the bundle gets corrupted, the project is gone. Using .cwp you at least have all the audio left. 

Bounce to clips commits trims to the tracks bounced to clip. This is something I regularly use when I'm splitting up a 3-4 hour performance into individual tracks.

I do this by splitting all the tracks on either side of the song and then bouncing them all to clips. Now when I copy to a new project they are as small as can be.

If I don't do the bounce to clips step, the entire tracks (3-4 hours long) are copied to the new project but it only displays the one song. This makes the size of the wave files unnecessarily large. It also takes longer to paint wave-forms for the tracks.