Able to programme in, but unable to play in midi from virtual instrument track

david james

Question

Hi All,

I'm having a problem 'playing in' printing midi using the built in virtual instruments (the drums in this case) - despite being able to play (and hear) the virtual kit (using mouse), and being able to add midi to the track manually using the sequencer and piano roll.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

• I can add an 'instrument' track, bring up the kit, play it with the mouse (not using a dedicated midi controller), and hear it.
  • Doing so shows up in the instrument channel strip and master also.
  •  Arming the track, and hitting record seems to work, but if I play the kit, despite hearing it (similar to above), no midi is 'recorded' onto the track.
  • I can add midi to the track (manually) using the sequencer and piano roll, and through dragging and dropping loops in, which then show in the track, and can be played back and heard.
  • Auto-punch is not enabled, and "Allow MIDI Recording without an Armed Track" is enabled also.

I'm using Windows 7, a recently downloaded version of Cakewalk, and at the moment no specific audio equipment - just headphones/laptop speaker, and keyboard/mouse for input.

cakewalk_1.PNG

midi_preferences.PNG

preferences_midi2.PNG

preferences_midi3.PNG

2 answers to this question