Finding conversion from usb midi to 5pin midi

Keni

11 hours ago, Keni said:

It's very sad how this modern midi method has so badly created these interconnectivity issues where none existed before.

Sorry, Keni.  I really did not follow your original post, but when you say that you think MIDI and connectivity causes problems.... I have never had a problem, ever.  And I've been using MIDI equipment since 1985.  Lots of it.  USB and DIN 

I do think the problem is not the equipment.

Edited by Toddskins

4 minutes ago, Toddskins said:

Sorry, Keni.  I really did not follow your original post, but when you say that you think MIDI and connectivity causes problems.... I have never had a problem, ever.  And I've been using MIDI equipment since 1985.  Lots of it.

I do think the problem is not the equipment.

Not a problem Toddskins.

I appreciate your time and concern.

I have been using MIDI since it's inception and cv/gate for years before that too.

I'm specifically referring to the use of usbmidi exclusively on so many instruments. Fine for computer connectivity, but problematic in the keyboard/hardware world...

• Like 1

I use them the way you want to, all the time.

Suggestion:  Test each keyboard with your DAW.  You have one, yes?

You can discover readily if the keyboard is sending MIDI signals correctly (Check your Piano Roll View, or the MIDI Event view for more detail).  Check the loop on one keyboard at a time.  After you analyze the SEND signal into your DAW, see if the keyboard responds to the RECEIVE MIDI signal when you play the track back.  Various methods to ensure that your keyboard sends and receives properly.

Then do the same with the 2nd Keyboard.  Test the send and receive.

Both keyboards working?

Then getting one to control the other is no issue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toddskins said:

I use them the way you want to, all the time.

Suggestion:  Test each keyboard with your DAW.  You have one, yes?

You can discover readily if the keyboard is sending MIDI signals correctly (Check your Piano Roll View, or the MIDI Event view for more detail).  Check the loop on one keyboard at a time.  After you analyze the SEND signal into your DAW, see if the keyboard responds to the RECEIVE MIDI signal when you play the track back.  Various methods to ensure that your keyboard sends and receives properly.

Then do the same with the 2nd Keyboard.  Test the send and receive.

Both keyboards working?

Then getting one to control the other is no issue.

Thanks Toddskins...

I guess I'm still not explaining myself well here.

I am well versed in all these aspects. My problems here are a situation.

How do you connect a midi keyboard that only has usbmidi to a 5pin din Without A Computer?

A gadget is now required. There are a few. Not many.

next issue. I am in northern California. The friend I am trying to help lives in Florida without any internet of texting (pics could be traded).

He is extremely un-tech as a man and though intelligent, he does not have any tech intuition.

I had everything setup and working fine, but the keys on his cp33 died too many times to repair again. So he bought a new keyboard that he liked how it played. But turns out it is only a little home toy. It's sound is inferior. The output is only a headphone out and appears to only be giving him mono out to boot. It's the right type of cable but my experiences have shown me how often some brands won't fit correctly... He can't tell... I can’t see...

So I thought to use midi slaving the old keyboard for it's sound. He is not capable of dealing with using his pc as a hub and routing through it. So a direct connect 5pin to 5pin would have been a simple solution but usbmidi got invokved. Attempting to connect things turned out far too difficult all by itself as he isn’t even certain they are correctly plugged in....

shall I go on? I hope you’re seeing the picture more clearly now.

I got the cables and midi expander connected to the best of his ability and as new keyboard has no channel controls, i looked at the old keyboards midi receiving channel settings set to all.

After much frustrarion and lots of i/o and sound producing tests, the midi connection was not working. I can do no more here and left him with a recommendation to return the new keyboard and buy a better one..

He will either do that or use the current lo-fi mono sound for his project...

Thanks again...

• Like 2

I hear ya better now.

My next suggestion (is this friend past his teens?) is to persuade him to get a better MIDI controller.  Is he poor?

1) What cheap MIDI keyboard "toy" did he just get?  This will tell us all if he is looking for weighted, semi-weighted, or synth-like, and also how many keys it has.

2) Based on the answer to the above, will help us to understand something about his character and desire to play keyboards/synths.

3) If he's semi-serious, just tell him to whip out the credit card and go for it.  As so many on this site have spoken about their music history -- just buy what you like and do not worry about being a bit in debt.  We all got things paid off "somehow".  IF he is semi-serious about playing, tell him to tighten the belt.  How much could we be talking?

4) You, or he, just bought the MIDI Expander?  That right there was $70.  So it would have been better spent toward a much better MIDI controller.

All good here.  We actually love to see people splurge, get more serious than they were about playing, inspiring them to take some further  Music Theory courses, get into a Group or club via Craigslist or Meetup.com and start hanging with other like-minded "musicians".  

Just tell him to GO FOR IT.  :)

P.S.  There's always bargains out there for recently manufactured MIDI keyboards.  Can find really good equipment, used, for cheap.

Edited by Toddskins

P.S.S.  Seriously, recommend your friend listen to any of these songs (Send him the Youtube links).  The synth work in any of these songs will have him drooling with lust to replicate the sounds and play them.  They are just that good for motivation to play keys!   :)

E.L.P. – Lucky Man

Gary Numan – Cars

Genesis – Abacab

DEVO – Whip It

INXS – Don’t Change

Men Without Hats – Safety Dance

Peter Gabriel – SledgeHammer

Styx – Lorelei

The Cars – It’s All I Can Do

–       Let’s Go

–       Let The Good Times Roll

The Who – Baba O-Reilly