Latency only in cakewalk [Solved]

mats

I have an scarlett 2i4 2gen with buffer in 256 and i'm having horrible latency working with plugins and fx and my guitar plugged in, if i lower the buffer to 192 the sound becomes all distorted

this doesn't happen in studio one , i don't want to stop using cakewalk, but this and other silly problems are starting to annoy me a lot

Edited by matias

This happened to me a while back when I upgraded my Focusrite drivers.  It was down to conflicting settings in my AUD.INI.

With cakewalk NOT running, delete AUD.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  , then start Cakewalk. Cakewalk will generate a fresh AUD.INI

I'm running the 1st gen 2i2, 6i6 & 18i20 on three different machines, and although I normally use a buffer size of 64, I can get as low as 32 for tracking, or 16 for playback without effects.

Tracking guitar without latency when only using VST effects can be tricky though. Typically I record both the dry & effected signal using hardware effects to avoid any VST latency, then add the VST effects afterwards. However if this isn't an option, make sure all other effects are bypassed apart from your guitar effects when tracking.

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This happened to me a while back when I upgraded my Focusrite drivers.  It was down to conflicting settings in my AUD.INI.

With cakewalk NOT running, delete AUD.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  , then start Cakewalk. Cakewalk will generate a fresh AUD.INI

I'm running the 1st gen 2i2, 6i6 & 18i20 on three different machines, and although I normally use a buffer size of 64, I can get as low as 32 for tracking, or 16 for playback without effects.

Tracking guitar without latency when only using VST effects can be tricky though. Typically I record both the dry & effected signal using hardware effects to avoid any VST latency, then add the VST effects afterwards. However if this isn't an option, make sure all other effects are bypassed apart from your guitar effects when tracking.

deleted that and the latency is still bad, i also updated the focusrite drivers a time ago

but it can't be the vsts, in studio one with exactly the same project i don't have latency also if you have a good pc is enough to run a lot without problems

Not sure if this

12 minutes ago, matias said:

it can't be the vsts, in studio one with exactly the same project i don't have latency

rules out plug-ins. Bypassing all plug-ins is an easy test for PDC related issues.

To bypass all plug-ins in the project click the FX button in the Mix Module

May also want to experiment Live Input PDC override using the PDC button also in the Mix Module.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Not sure if this

rules out plug-ins. Bypassing all plug-ins is an easy test for PDC related issues.

To bypass all plug-ins in the project click the FX button in the Mix Module

May also want to experiment Live Input PDC override using the PDC button also in the Mix Module.

it improves with that! but there's still a little, also i can't lower the buffer because of the distorting sound, i found that this also happens in studio one and now when i try to lower it the blue screen of win10 appears =(

The difference between FX on and FX off is plug-in delay compensation needed to keep everything in sync based on the latency reported by plug-ins in the project.

Blue screens usually indicate a hardware or driver problem.

I have a similar issue with the exact same interface. Guitar Rig has pops and crackles, but this issue doesn't exist in other DAWs with the same buffer settings... :(
Really want this to work, because I like Cakewalk.

Something is definitely not right. I set the buffer ALL the way up to 1024 samples and still stutters, odd... I tried deleting the AUD file, but the issue persists.

Edited by DevDevy

9 hours ago, DevDevy said:

I have a similar issue with the exact same interface. Guitar Rig has pops and crackles, but this issue doesn't exist in other DAWs with the same buffer settings... :(
Really want this to work, because I like Cakewalk.

Something is definitely not right. I set the buffer ALL the way up to 1024 samples and still stutters, odd... I tried deleting the AUD file, but the issue persists.

What does latencymon report on your system's latency?

Bob Bone

3 hours ago, matias said:

i've rolled back to the old drivers and now there's not problem at all in anything, seems that the new drivers are garbage

if someone wants to do the same:

https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/32406/focusriteusbinstaller4.36.5-612.exe

3 hours ago, matias said:

i've rolled back to the old drivers and now there's not problem at all in anything, seems that the new drivers are garbage

if someone wants to do the same:

https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/32406/focusriteusbinstaller4.36.5-612.exe

I tried the link you provided and the driver didn't fix the issue for me.. I wonder if there was something else in the process you might've done?

Edited by DevDevy

1 hour ago, DevDevy said:

I tried the link you provided and the driver didn't fix the issue for me.. I wonder if there was something else in the process you might've done?

i just unistalled the drivers, deleted all the focusrite folders in program data and hidden common files, deleted the focusrite entries in the registry, cleaned registry and files with ccleaner, restarted and installed the old ones having the scarlet unplugged until the finish

21 hours ago, msmcleod said:

What is your ThreadSchedulingModel set to within Preferences->Audio->Configuration File ?

I've found that setting it to 2 gives me the best results.

it was in 1, i changed to 2, maybe this helps also

1 hour ago, Robert Bone said:

I again ask for latencymon's report on your system's latency analysis 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:10:04  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363 (x64)
Hardware:                                             MS-7A20, MSI, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A20)
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6850K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors:                                   12
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  32667 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   360 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   828.80
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   5.547194

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       825.30
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.765626

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              148.476667
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.031314
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.035688

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   267695
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              549.66250
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 445.75 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.129324
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.184646

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   1609442
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                9
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       5592
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          3815
Number of processes hit:                              7

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       25.778198
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                148.476667
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   2.567310
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      249742
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                549.66250
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   13.079530
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      1563519
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.026632
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                4.245833
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000169
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      177
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                110.446667
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.009359
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      906
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.480395
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                140.33750
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.127093
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      17479
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.105102
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                48.25750
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.002806
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      599
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.535044
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                181.369167
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.059272
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      8407
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.301995
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                75.785833
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.005654
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      1059
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.275538
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                109.240
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.021393
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      3995
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.899602
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                70.094167
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.002975
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      577
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.499495
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 8 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                146.240
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.026663
CPU 8 DPC count:                                      4841
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.506920
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                27.793333
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.013929
CPU 9 ISR count:                                      11937
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                111.440
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.009206
CPU 9 DPC count:                                      1083
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.306559
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                28.840
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.005482
CPU 10 ISR count:                                      5839
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                132.220
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.035959
CPU 10 DPC count:                                      6171
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.982393
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 11 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                72.780
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.004273
CPU 11 DPC count:                                      815

11 hours ago, DevDevy said:

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

I hope others know what svchost.exe hard page faults are caused by, as I am no guru on that. I also have 128 GB of memory, so just don't see those.

There are some folks in the forum community that can help get you squared away. I will do some digging into this too, to try to help.

4 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I hope others know what svchost.exe hard page faults are caused by, as I am no guru on that. I also have 128 GB of memory, so just don't see those.

There are some folks in the forum community that can help get you squared away. I will do some digging into this too, to try to help.

Yeah I'm not sure what's causing it, I tried looking through it but it seems like a 'could be anything' scenario.. But I still find the situation odd. The VST works without pops or crackles inside Reaper, FL Studio, AND Ableton. Why would Cakewalk be different?

23 minutes ago, DevDevy said:

Yeah I'm not sure what's causing it, I tried looking through it but it seems like a 'could be anything' scenario.. But I still find the situation odd. The VST works without pops or crackles inside Reaper, FL Studio, AND Ableton. Why would Cakewalk be different?

And THAT ("Why would Cake ...") is the million dollar question, and I must sadly say it gets asked way too often about our audio engine.

I notice that you have an NVidia driver. I never could get my NVidia card to not give me DPC that would not cause crackles. Especially when I had a Kontak or other visually animated GUI up. Of course, in my situation, it would happen in other DAWs as well. But I do know that Cakewalk does not handle 4K monitors well.

I also thought that this might be a clue in your Latency Mon report:

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

Have you checked those settings?

• Like 1