effect between guitar and amp on cakewalk?

hi guys, i recorded my guitar solo with my real guitar amp, distortion amp with my microphone in cakewalk ok...all is good there.
second: id like to add OD effect in cakewalk in the effect rack of that track ok?
so that OD effect would be like real OD pedal plugged in send return of my real guitar amp ok? (after)
but if i plug real OD pedal between my guitar and my real amp (before), that wouldnt sound same than after (send return) ok?
the question is: is there a way to put that OD vst like BEFORE my recorded distortion solo?
because if i had it in the normal fx bin, its always "after". 
sorry hard for me to explain lol. hope u understand lol. ty

To put it bluntly, no. It is already recorded. The only way to do something like this would to be similar to what they call "Reamping". You would send the output of your overdive or clean guitar to an input to your audio interface and record that and then add the effect. Then if your audio interface supports it you would send that recorded audio back out of your interface to your amp and record that on a track with your mic. Keep in mind that you have changed your signal from analog to digital back to analog and then to digital again. I do not think you would get the sound you was hoping for but I have never tried it. Plus you are adding latency to your signal too.

Edited by CoveCamper

Depending on your interface, consider giving a couple of tracks to a guitar and using a simple line level DI box to split the signal- first side from your instrument going straight to the interface with nothing in between, will let you get a clean signal for later experimentation, and the other side going to all yer stomp boxes,  effects rack, small kitchen appliances, etc and then on to the amp for monitoring and eardrum busting, with a proper mic and placement to capture  the kidney quiverin' tone emitting from it.  Much more flexible and frankly easier way to go than  re-amping which is more like using your AMP in the effects loop (sorta...).  Use two tracks, one DI, one a miced amp, and go to town.  In the mix you can now blend the level of the effect up and down in relation to the DI track and keep the fundementals , or you can push the DI track through whatever digital effects you want.  

I do keys (I mike the room) and bass the same way.  Especially Bass.  

Edited by StudioNSFW
clarification and color

6 hours ago, Pascal Auger said:

no, id like to add vst effect on cakewalk. the same way as between real guitar and amp. before amp.
because after amp it doesnt sound the same.  are u a guitar player?

Well, I noodle around on guitar. I know that an OD pedal sounds different before the preamp and after.

Edited by rsinger

2 hours ago, Pascal Auger said:

so if i already recorded my solo guit, and i add vst effect in the cakewalk track effect bin, like wah wah, it will sound crap? wah wah supposed to be before? uni vibe? OD? delay? phaser?
tx

Do you mean an automatic wah-wah....also known as an envelop generator?  Those must go very early in the effects chain because they rely on a sharp volume attack to modify the tone.   If the tone is steady, the effect can't work.

30 minutes ago, RobertWS said:

Do you mean an automatic wah-wah....also known as an envelop generator?  Those must go very early in the effects chain because they rely on a sharp volume attack to modify the tone.   If the tone is steady, the effect can't work.

vst wah wah with automation, like the one in amplitube.

The only way to do it is to record the guitar raw input (DI), add a stomp box then amp simulator. Free amp VSTs might get you close to the sound you like from your own amp. Very close will require an expensive amp simulator. Unless you just happen to use the same Fender, AC30 or Marshall that Cakewalk's TH-3 has.

15 hours ago, Pascal Auger said:

so if i already recorded my solo guit, and i add vst effect in the cakewalk track effect bin, like wah wah, it will sound crap? wah wah supposed to be before? uni vibe? OD? delay? phaser?
tx

That depends. In the world of HW and SW amp modellers and isolated speakers and so on you can add fx after the amp, after the speaker. OD may work, but it depends on the signal and the OD that's used. Wah may work, but will be different, but of course, you can put a wah before of after fuzz/OD in an analog signal chain. If you record only the sound of your amp and particularly if it's distorted you'll be limited to what you can do after that.

What you need is an ABY pedal - it basically splits your guitar signal into two, such as this:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fender-2-Switch-ABY-Pedal-/art-GIT0031549-000?campaign=GShopping/UK&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIht3uoI3j6AIVb4BQBh3MwAy2EAQYAiABEgJsDPD_BwE

Send one output to your amp (which is then connected to input 1 on your audio interface), then the other output to input 2 your audio interface.

You then record both signals.

You're now free to use your original amped version, or use the dry signal to add any VST effects to - you could even use both and blend the two.