accordion vst

The best search engine for DP programs is in Rapture Session/Pro

Before those synths were around, to find programs in DP and Rapture I used Windows.

Open C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs or C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture\Programs in Windows Explorer and search

I got several hits searching for acc in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs

• Thanks 1

There are a couple of accordions in the free Halion Sonic SE library which sound good.  

I used one of them layered with the Melodeon from the Kontakt library in a cover I made of Alan Parson's Nothing Left to Lose.

UPDATE: I think the accordions I referred to above may have been in the paid version of Halion Sonic 3. Apologies for any confusion as I upgraded from HS SE to HS3 then full Halion 6 and I thought I had recorded the song when I only had the free version. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 1:57 AM, ZincT said:

How does one obtain this library? I was about to download Halion Sonic SE to check it out, figuring I could groove on some more free sampled instruments a la Kontakt Player and SampleTank 4 CS, but there's this big exclamation mark with the notice "The free HALion Sonic SE download version does not contain any content." By which I assumed they meant no instruments, but I couldn't see how to download them separately, so I passed on Halion.

Right now they're failing to send me my registration code for their #stayhomeelements collection.

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

How does one obtain this library? I was about to download Halion Sonic SE to check it out, figuring I could groove on some more free sampled instruments a la Kontakt Player and SampleTank 4 CS, but there's this big exclamation mark with the notice "The free HALion Sonic SE download version does not contain any content." By which I assumed they meant no instruments, but I couldn't see how to download them separately, so I passed on Halion.

Right now they're failing to send me my registration code for their #stayhomeelements collection.

It's a while since I downloaded it but I'm pretty sure I used Steinberg Download Assistant - under VST Plugins and Instruments.

Maybe they have changed what comes with the free version now in which case apologies.

The problem I have is that since I got the free version a couple of years ago I have upgraded to Halion Sonic 3 (30Gb+ content) and then the full verson of Halion 6 so it's hard for me to tell what is free and what is paid for as when I load up SE I can see all of my content.

I found another non-Halion Accordion here but it's a 32bit VSTi and I haven't tried it although it has some good feedback --> http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Accordion&id=302 

Edited by ZincT

On 4/10/2020 at 10:48 AM, jerrydf said:

.. or - "Perfect Pitch" - an accordian* in a skip (dumpster) from 20 feet.

* could be substituted for banjo

Pffftt! Amateurs!

They're nothing compared to multiple bagpipes at 30,000 feet. Been there. Done that. Don't want to ever go through it again.

[LHR to AMS. Plane full of Scots on the way to a footie match vs. the Orange. Flight attendants disappeared.]

EDIT: BTW, the Orange won 6-0. And many of the Scots wound up staying in by-the-hour hotel rooms. No reservations. All major hotels sold out. Heck of a fun party after the match, though! Not one of them expected their side to win. Good thing.

Edited by John Maar
  • Haha 1

Aieee, Steinberg's site, Halion SE, #stayhomeelements, elicenser, that's hours of my life I'll never get back. I don't blame you, ZincT, it's my own desire to get something for "free."

I ended up with....a sample player/synth with apparently no samples or patches to play back, or it won't recognize the ones it does have, and still no licenses for the elements programs.

After I downloaded and installed Halion SE, it complained that I needed to license it using what is I guess their take on iLok, elicenser. So I figured out where the Halion installer had put that (not under the Steinberg folder) and requested a serial number a couple more times and finally got one. Went to authorize it and there's no softelicense in the elicenser, so I had to download their special "burn it down and start over" tool, finally I get everything installed and....it's Halion. There's a folder with VSTpresets in it, and the Steinberg Library Manager wakes up and registers them as such, but when I try to load them into Halion, as the Zombies said, don't you bother tryin' to find them, they're not there.

I was thinking I'd like to try their free notation editor,  Dorico, but I dunno if I want to even mess with Steinberg any more at this point. And lest anyone think that I'm just a leech who only sucks up free stuff, yes, I'm frugal, but I spend money at the companies whose freebies prove useful. Meldaproduction, for instance, has sold me several licenses after drawing me in with their free bundle, as have Boz and Hornet. I also try to play my part by promoting the free stuff that these companies release, to make sure that people know about it and are attracted to it. So I'm thinking that Steinberg is kinda failing in the freebie department if they want to attract us to purchase their other products as a result. I found my experience with Halion itself frustrating, the UI is cramped and confusing and the help was of no help. 3rd place to SampleTank and Kontakt Player.

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Aieee, Steinberg's site, Halion SE, #stayhomeelements, elicenser, that's hours of my life I'll never get back. I don't blame you, ZincT, it's my own desire to get something for "free."

I ended up with....a sample player/synth with apparently no samples or patches to play back, or it won't recognize the ones it does have, and still no licenses for the elements programs.

After I downloaded and installed Halion SE, it complained that I needed to license it using what is I guess their take on iLok, elicenser. So I figured out where the Halion installer had put that (not under the Steinberg folder) and requested a serial number a couple more times and finally got one. Went to authorize it and there's no softelicense in the elicenser, so I had to download their special "burn it down and start over" tool, finally I get everything installed and....it's Halion. There's a folder with VSTpresets in it, and the Steinberg Library Manager wakes up and registers them as such, but when I try to load them into Halion, as the Zombies said, don't you bother tryin' to find them, they're not there.

I was thinking I'd like to try their free notation editor,  Dorico, but I dunno if I want to even mess with Steinberg any more at this point. And lest anyone think that I'm just a leech who only sucks up free stuff, yes, I'm frugal, but I spend money at the companies whose freebies prove useful. Meldaproduction, for instance, has sold me several licenses after drawing me in with their free bundle, as have Boz and Hornet. I also try to play my part by promoting the free stuff that these companies release, to make sure that people know about it and are attracted to it. So I'm thinking that Steinberg is kinda failing in the freebie department if they want to attract us to purchase their other products as a result. I found my experience with Halion itself frustrating, the UI is cramped and confusing and the help was of no help. 3rd place to SampleTank and Kontakt Player.

Oh boy, Starship! I can see how the #stayhomelements process would be off putting to anyone considering a purchase.

Apologies again if I misled you and thanks for your understanding - I think it might just be my bad memory 👴 I could have sworn that I recorded the song where I used the accordions before I upgraded to HS3. Then again I also now realise that when I bought my Steinberg Audio interface it came with a copy of Cubase AI which also included some sound content and which I subsequently upgraded to Cubase Elements and then Cubase Pro (even more sound content) so maybe the accordions came with one of those. Who knows!🙄🤔🤣 I cannot even look back at my download backups as I deleted the HS SE stuff when I upgraded to HS3. 

Anyway, I found another free accordion (albeit a variant) - Button Accordion from Bolder Sounds and it's available in Kontakt 2 / Apple EXS24 / Digidesign Structure formats (full Kontakt required)...

https://www.boldersounds.com/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=22&products_id=64 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

I tried installing Halion free a few months back to get a free glockenspiel! Never did get the licencing to work and it really wasn't worth the hassle. I've found some decent accordions in the SampleTank 3 sounds in my trawl through them all. Not cheap /  free of course but there are quite a few decent other folkie instruments in there. Sadly no duduk though - I do have a few of those in imported ST 2 expansions but was hoping for a new one. I certainly don't need all their hundreds of drum kits and basses and more folkie instruments would have been nice instead

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

I tried installing Halion free a few months back to get a free glockenspiel! Never did get the licencing to work and it really wasn't worth the hassle. I've found some decent accordions in the SampleTank 3 sounds in my trawl through them all. Not cheap /  free of course but there are quite a few decent other folkie instruments in there. Sadly no duduk though - I do have a few of those in imported ST 2 expansions but was hoping for a new one. I certainly don't need all their hundreds of drum kits and basses and more folkie instruments would have been nice instead

Yes I still have and use some of those old ST2/3 libraries and got them cheaply (esoundz I think?). The World Instruments one includes accordions :) 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 3:08 AM, ZincT said:

Yes I still have and use some of those old ST2/3 libraries

Which all sound better, I bet. I was impressed when I got the decade-old ST2 libraries converted and working in ST4, how smoothly the features were migrated. Each SampleTank patch/instrument has the usual oscillator/filter/ADSR information, but also comes with information regarding their extensive effects rack. When I open the effects racks, they are populated and have settings, and since their FX have improved the instruments all sound better.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:13 AM, Starship Krupa said:

When I tried out the Cubase Elements 30-day trial a while back, it came with instrument content for Halion Sonic SE (a limited subset of the full Halion Sonic 3 content).

But I don't really see the point of having a "free" version of Halion Sonic SE without any content...

• Like 1

I think Steinberg wouldn't make such a big deal on their website about the download version of Halion Sonic SE not coming with any extra content if there weren't a version somewhere on dvd that does come with extra content. Or maybe they're just making sure people don't get it mixed up with Kontakt Player and SampleTank and sforzando, all of which burden the people who download them with dozens of demo instruments.

If that's the goal, maybe they could use some good ol' advertising slogans to help them stand out from the competition, to turn potential customers on to the benefit of downloading and installing their download manager and their licensing server and then downloading and installing and registering their virtual instrument at which point they will have a sample player with no samples. (I still haven't received any license code for the #stayhomeandwait promotion either)

"Download Halion Sonic SE now and find out why it's the favorite free sample player of people with metered Internet service."

"Halion Sonic SE by Steinberg. No stutter in your playback, no clutter in your download folder."

"When space on your SSD is at a premium, the choice is clear: Halion Sonic SE."

"Does your free sampler keep you up at night worrying how a company can remain solvent giving things away? For 'sound' sleep, the doctors at Steinberg prescribe Halion Sonic SE."

"Shhhteinberg!"

• Haha 2