What's a good mouse to buy?

Christian Jones

12 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I haven't used the 502, but should be a fine mouse as well

I've got a 502 and like it; I use it for gaming, DAW work, and occasional photo editing. If your budget stretches far enough, don't discount a graphics tablet either. It takes a bit to get used to, but could be more comfortable to use depending on what you're doing.

Brian, can the Logitech wireless mice be used wired as well (e.g. with a USB cable), or are they strictly wireless? Wireless is cool, but I don't want to have to buy batteries; for a mouse that I use at my desk, I can live with that compromise.

One thing I forgot to mention about the 502: the mouse wheel can tilt left/right, which is great where application support is available. However, the wheel itself has a smooth finish (rather than rubbery). It's got notches in it, so you get grip from that, but for the first few days my finger was sliding over the wheel (rather than turning it) until I got used to it.

Am I a weirdo that I really, really prefer a trackball? Takes up less room on a desktop than a mousepad, is always in the same spot when I reach for it, 4 buttons so "copy" and "paste" get their own... And back when I played games on a PeeCee - better accuracy for fragging.

I recommend the Kensingtom Expert Mouse trackball:

https://www.kensington.com/p/products/control/trackballs/expert-mouse-wired-trackball/

You can find them for around $60-$70 typically. 

Edited by StudioNSFW

6 hours ago, antler said:

However, the wheel itself has a smooth finish (rather than rubbery). It's got notches in it, so you get grip from that, but for the first few days my finger was sliding over the wheel (rather than turning it) until I got used to it.

That'd break the deal for me. I would hate that so thanks for mentioning. 

Also, for batteries you could use rechargeable batteries and you have to buy a charger probably under $20. 

Edited by Christian Jones

I've been trying to score a deal on a Logitech G602 since yesterday and these stupid @ss deals keep slipping away from me 😡 lol I was on Amazon about to score a new g602 this morning for a little over $25 when someone yanked it right out of my shopping cart before I could check out, it was the last one. Same thing happened on eBay where I sent a best offer and in the meantime someone bought it. F no I'm not paying $50 for one after coming so close to getting it for $25 lol. Now I have to wait a another deal and I don't wanna wait d@mn it this is 'merica! I want it last week!

But yeah I'm gonna score a Logitech g602, after checking it out and hearing about it here that's the mouse  

1 hour ago, StudioNSFW said:

Am I a weirdo that I really, really prefer a trackball? Takes up less room on a desktop than a mousepad, is always in the same spot when I reach for it, 4 buttons so "copy" and "paste" get their own... And back when I played games on a PeeCee - better accuracy for fragging.

I recommend the Kensingtom Expert Mouse trackball:

https://www.kensington.com/p/products/control/trackballs/expert-mouse-wired-trackball/

You can find them for around $60-$70 typically. 

Not that it says anything about you NOT being a weirdo (😁), but I think most of the recommendations above ARE for some kind of trackball (or thumb-ball).

I still have a few of the Expert Mouse trackballs in my PC bin.  These were our secret advantage when we were gaming.  We used them at work and got VERY good at quickly changing our aim.  In the Counter Strike league we were in, our two squads ended up being first and second before we quit.  The mods watched a lot of our videos because the n00bs were always accusing us of cheating. 🤣

mie_bravo_number_one.jpg

1 minute ago, Christian Jones said:

What are they usually talking about? Explain and be very detailed 

Well this of course.

What did you think I was alluding to?                                 😎