What's a good mouse to buy?

Christian Jones

My mouse is done. Usually I use the Logitech M100/B100, just a simple little mouse w/ two buttons and a scroll wheel. I don't game so I don't really like the idea of a bunch of buttons all over the mouse and prefer simplicity. But I don't know, maybe there's a cool mouse that works well for a daw I should look at. I like those mice that conform to the shape of your hand but usually those have buttons all over them and I don't know that they're worth the money for daw use. Are you guys using the same type of stripped-down mouse that I've been using are can you recommend something else? 

Someone wrote in a thread the other day that they discovered they had a multi button mouse with side buttons that they tied  to advancing forward and backwards by 1 measure.  Sounded like a good reason  to use one for  my workflow.  I'm the same as you - I keep it simple

image.png.0dcf240ec9f84c24df2d252b203182b8.png

I'm never going back to a "normal" mouse.  I've been programming for almost 50 years and have never had carpal tunnel.  I've been using either a Kensington Expert Mouse (a trackball) or the Logitech shown above for decades.

Never felt the need to go beyond a standard 2 button mouse w/ wheel.

When I worked on HP gear I liked the feel of their keyboards and mice.

Don't know who makes them but I bought a wired HP keyboard/mouse combo when I had my last machine built in 2014.

Still working fine.

21 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

I just can't get my mind using a trackball to edit audio which I do a ton of, I just don't think I would like one at all though I've never used one that I recall. 

Just imagine never having to pick up the mouse and move it over because you've run off the pad.

13 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

My mouse is done. Usually I use the Logitech M100/B100, just a simple little mouse w/ two buttons and a scroll wheel. I don't game so I don't really like the idea of a bunch of buttons all over the mouse and prefer simplicity. But I don't know, maybe there's a cool mouse that works well for a daw I should look at. I like those mice that conform to the shape of your hand but usually those have buttons all over them and I don't know that they're worth the money for daw use. Are you guys using the same type of stripped-down mouse that I've been using are can you recommend something else? 

I don't game either, but you might be doing yourself a disservice by not considering what having programmable buttons can do for your DAW workflow.

Do you click "t" to bring up the edit tool?   Well you can assign that or any other combination of buttons to something on the mouse.    Once you get used to it, chances are you won't want to use a simple mouse again.  

My go-to is the Logitech G602.   Never used once for gaming.

If you are used to a cord, the 402 is worth a look.(on sale at target for under $22)

Edited by Brian Walton

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

I don't game either, but you might be doing yourself a disservice by not considering what having programmable buttons can do for your DAW workflow.

Do you click "t" to bring up the edit tool?   Well you can assign that or any other combination of buttons to something on the mouse.    Once you get used to it, chances are you won't want to use a simple mouse again.  

My go-to is the Logitech G602.   Never used once for gaming.

If you are used to a cord, the 402 is worth a look.(on sale at target for under $22)

Those look good man. I'll research it but you're saying the 402 is as solid as the 602? Any thoughts on the 502 that's corded? You don't notice any latency or other issues with that wireless 602?

4 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Those look good man. I'll research it but you're saying the 402 is as solid as the 602? Any thoughts on the 502 that's corded? You don't notice any latency or other issues with that wireless 602?

Button placements are different, both are "solid " as far a s mice go.    

402 the button that is positioned where the thumb rests could be good or bad, just think about how you hold a mouse and what you might assign to that button.

The 602 all the buttons feel are out of the way, but there to use  with some dexterity.  

The 602 has two modes in term s of power consumption and latency.  Use rechargeable batteries.  But latency is not a concern at all especially in the high drain mode.  This isn't like old wireless tech.  It updates a ridiculous number of times a second and has a very high DPI which is also adjustable  (both of them do).  They use a special reciever that is not compatible with the "unifying" tech...the unifying tech ones do not have the same refresh rates.  

I haven't used the 502, but should be a fine mouse as well .    The 402 is a better value than what I've seen on the 502.  

I personally don't need the insane 16K DPI it has on tap, something I'd never use.    The weight system it has in it might be nice.  With a 602 it can run off of one or 2 AAs and so that is how I get a variation in weight that meets my needs.  402 as it does't take batteries will be light (more like your current mouse).  I personally like a little weight to the mouse, but that is all a matter of preference.  

I do own the 602, 402, and a number of other logitech mice.  

I have 602s for  Home/DAW/Photography/Video Editing as well as what I use for work Systems/Data.  You can program the buttons differently depending on which application you are using. , and save presets to load in the mouse one at a time or they can be stored on the computer.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, antler said:

Never tried one of these, and they're not cheap, but if you want a programmable mouse, check out this one:

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Mice/MMO-Role-Play-Mice/SCIMITAR-RGB-ELITE-Optical-MOBA-MMO-Gaming-Mouse/p/CH-9304211-EU

I've tired that one.  Your thumb is always on the buttons on the side, and with that many buttons in a cluster, it can be more challenging to get used to the exact placement of each without looking at it (i.e. hit the wrong button).     The 602 I mentioned almost treads on that territory and it has even less buttons - though they are out of the way if you do not want to use them and grip as a traditional mouse.   

That kind is very much a try to see if it actually works for you.   Logitch makes a similar layout as well.