Take Me As I Am

AndyB01

Prepare yourselves, this is a bit of a rough mix but as a designated key worker here in the UK (not in our fantastic NHS, I hasten to add), life's been a bit busy of late and will doubtlessly be so for a while to come. However I am not complaining, as there are many in a much worse situation than me - I'm glad to be working at all right now.

I do hope you're all keeping safe and well. This is my latest effort - another stock EzKeys track that I simply love so I haven't done much to it, only some very subtle changes - I will probably add a bass track but it doesn't need a lot more instrumentation wise I don' think. There are multiple timing issues on this - I think mainly down to the acoustic guitar track that I need to re-cut and the BGVs; I'm not sure about the long instrumental either and whether it's even in the right place or needed at all - so all critique welcome.

As for the back story on this one - it's complicated...

Andy

I echo the sentiments above regarding the "creative" side of the tune.
As to the mix, a few thoughts.
The kick: it seems to dominate the track on the Bose cans here, especially in the quiet sections.
AC Gtr: the 58 on this, where's the mic pointed? If you re-cut this, point the mic at the 12th fret;
and I'd put a high pass on it, pretty high maybe. Its kind of "lost" to my ears, needs some top end.
Solo: I think you could shorten that up a bit.
just remember, I'm a 3 minute single kinda guy, so take that with a grain of salt...

t

and thank you for your service!

• Great Idea 1

13 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Your lyrics are a creative take on a common theme.  Timing issues aren't that bad.  I think you might want to switch up the verses a little, a little break here and there would  help.  sorry for trying to change you. :D:D

Cheers David, you're right - it's a well-trodden theme for sure. I guess this is just my take, thanks for the listen and the suggestions re structure.

12 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Great vocal on this! I'm sure the art of mixery will flatten out the wrinkles in time, but it starts with cool lyrics and a pleasant voice to listen to, and this has both . . . I'm sorry you are essential! Stay safe!!!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom, no worries on being essential - better to be needed, than not - right? Appreciate the listen and the critique.

6 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

Cool song - I really enjoyed the lyrics and your lead vocal. Regarding the mix, if it were me, I would turn up the drums.

Ha, that's funny Douglas, cos I actually dialled down the drums before I did this mix - just shows - you never can tell how it's going to sound. Thanks for listening.

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I echo the sentiments above regarding the "creative" side of the tune.
As to the mix, a few thoughts.
The kick: it seems to dominate the track on the Bose cans here, especially in the quiet sections.
AC Gtr: the 58 on this, where's the mic pointed? If you re-cut this, point the mic at the 12th fret;
and I'd put a high pass on it, pretty high maybe. Its kind of "lost" to my ears, needs some top end.
Solo: I think you could shorten that up a bit.
just remember, I'm a 3 minute single kinda guy, so take that with a grain of salt...

t

and thank you for your service!

I'll have another listen to that kick part, swapping it for a different bass drum or beater might help, No mic on this guitar - it's a Taylor 314 DI'd via the Taylor ES2 on-board system with a touch of FX - high-pass is a good shout, I'll look at this. Agree on the instrumental - definitely one bar too long.

Appreciate the comments - really helpful stuff.

Andy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Taylor ES2 on-board system

Well no fan here of the ES1, it failed! on my Brazilian 814; but I have a few direct to board recordings
that have "plenty" of top end. ES2 has some eq control: right? Don't go overboard, but I'd want a little
more "presence", if you get my meaning. I'd have to check the specs (hey that rhymes, oh boy 😉 on the
Taylor 314-ce (x class), but should be plenty of "tone" there; its a Taylor!

t