Jump to content
Morten Saether

[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.04 Early Access 1

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

I just read your thread about it from last month, what a ruckus you had! 😱 What IS that Enhanced Keyboard Editing Mode anyway? (I read the manual but still don't really get it.)

If Cakewalk had had an on/off indicator for that mode, it would have been easier for you to troubleshoot.

(In fact, I believe Cakewalk needs more indicators for features that are a bit tucked away: when any track(s) are hidden, when auto preview and looping is enabled in the browser, for example.)

Edit: I just checked my own bindings: I've had "Solo all selected tracks" on Num 0 for years myself...

Essentially, Enhanced Keyboard Editing allows you to edit clips without a mouse.

One enabled you get a white cursor on the screen which you can move around using the num-pad arrow keys.  Various ctrl/alt/shift modifiers allow you to perform various operations just using the keyboard.

In some ways it is an overhang from the Cakewalk for DOS days, but it still has it's uses for people with Mackie MCU's - i.e. you can actually do clip editing just using the MCU.

It's also very useful if you're doing a lot of repetitive operations on clips that can't be easily covered by cal scripts - it can save you from constantly jumping back and forth from keyboard to mouse.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

(In fact, I believe Cakewalk needs more indicators for features that are a bit tucked away: when any track(s) are hidden, when auto preview and looping is enabled in the browser, for example.)

I totally agree with that!

Thanks for sharing in my pain! I guess you have time on your hands (don't we all!) to search that out 😉

The Enhanced Editing feature is for people using a particular hardware controller setup, I believe. Definitely not a majority user function, so very glad it has been taken out of harm's way!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@msmcleod Ah, interesting, thanks for the explanation! Good to know it's there... :)

@winkpain Yeah, yesterday I suddenly "found" a bunch of tracks I'd hidden in my project and then forgot about it... So in lack of better memory, an indicator would be nice. 😂 (My life consists of reminders...)

Sorry, ending the off-topic stuff here. 😊

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenLight said:

(In fact, I believe Cakewalk needs more indicators for features that are a bit tucked away: when any track(s) are hidden, when auto preview and looping is enabled in the browser, for example.)

Yes, please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 12:23 PM, msmcleod said:

The BitBridge processes may be the thing that is causing the hang - if you remove those plugins does the program exit normally?

If you do need to use 32 bit plugins, consider using JBridge rather than BitBridge. I've personally found this to be far more stable.

Thanks very much for the feedback mate.

Upon your advice I've swapped over to JBridge - although it took a little while to cross reference 32 bit plugins and change them to load.
It definitely feels like this has had a positive impact - Cakewalk now shows a consistent decrease in memory utilisation and gradually jbridge instances are closed. I'd say it now takes a minute to remove itself from task manager.

Is there any difference in latency and resource utilisation (CPU/Memory) between these in your experience?
I noticed that Cakewalk was up-to 25GB of RAM usage whilst closing! Although I do have some pretty big projects - 200 tracks with 4 instances of superior drummer and a few other VST's. I don't recall it previously getting quite that high although i've certainly gone up to 16GB.

Would you say this is expected behaviour given project size and resource usage?


Best wishes,
Matthew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple issues with the new Arranger function for me:

  • Right-clicking or clicking menu dots and choosing Rename does not function (Double clicking the name in the Arr. Inspector or pressing F2 DOES work, however)
  • Re-sizing a Section by grabbing boundary edge has odd behavior and doesn't re-size to my chosen point but is offset awkwardly by a measure, it seems

Both these issues displayed in attached video....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I'm seeing some little keybinding issues with EA 2020.04:


Inspector keyboard shortcuts:

Shift + I shows Clip Properties but doesn't hide it.

Ctrl  + Shift + I opens Track Properties but doesn't hide it.
(but it closes Clip Properties instead)

The other shortcuts for PC and Arranger Tab are fine.
 

Simple Instrument Tracks:

Using a keybinding for toggling "Input Echo" on/off doesn't visually reflect it's status in the Track View (but works in Console and Inspector View).

Maybe it's similar to one of the bug fixes you mentioned in the OP:

Bug fixes:

  • Instrument tracks mute MIDI channel when using ALT + M


which didn't work in 2020.01 but works now!

 

Thank you so far for this great update, very much appreciated!!
 

All the best,
Klaus
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new functions bring up a little  issue  that concerns Keyboard Shortcut managing.

To exemplify with this new Arranger function:

CW has this new function and it is assigned the default key binding of A in order to display the Arranger as well as in the Track View - View menu showing as "Arranger Show/Hide  A ".  However, I have historically had A bound to a different function in my custom bindings set up. A remains "co-bound" to the new default function as well as my custom one, but only my custom one functions. - This particular point is an over-arching issue with CW's allowance of multiple Key Bindings, which I see as an oversight. Multiple bindings shouldn't be allowed, especially with default bindings. This situation creates serious confusion as I've discussed elsewhere here

But more the point here, and a minor one, really, but...

If I then bind Arranger view to the newly available E, it will function but the Track View - View menu item still reads "Arranger Show/Hide  A "

 

I would ask either

  • update the menu item Key Binding reminder text, or
  • Don't allow custom (i.e. multiple)bindings on default bindings

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, winkpain said:

Couple issues with the new Arranger function for me:

  • Right-clicking or clicking menu dots and choosing Rename does not function (Double clicking the name in the Arr. Inspector or pressing F2 DOES work, however)
  • Re-sizing a Section by grabbing boundary edge has odd behavior and doesn't re-size to my chosen point but is offset awkwardly by a measure, it seems

Both these issues displayed in attached video...

That's odd - I have used both of these functions quite a  bit today and it has worked fine here. I just tried them both again and they work as expected.
Isn't the second one because your snap settings are set to 1 bar?

One thing I have found is that if you ALT-Mouse Wheel to zoom horizontally it doesn't work if your mouse is within the Arranger track. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZincT said:

That's odd - I have used both of these functions quite a  bit today and it has worked fine here. I just tried them both again and they work as expected.
Isn't the second one because your snap settings are set to 1 bar?

Yes, snap settings are set, as suggested for Arranger, to 1 bar. But one would assume that it would snap to the nearest measure boundary beneath the cursor, and not the measure after the nearest measure as you see it doing here.

And the Rename function simply doesn't work for me when right-clicking or menu dot clicking.

Dunno...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Inspector keyboard shortcuts:

Shift + I shows Clip Properties but doesn't hide it.

Ctrl  + Shift + I opens Track Properties but doesn't hide it.
(but it closes Clip Properties instead)

Yes, this is odd !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@winkpain,

>>Re-sizing a Section by grabbing boundary edge has odd behavior and doesn't re-size to my chosen point but is offset awkwardly by a measure,

 

You have snap to grid (1 measure) activated. Turn snap off and you should be able to resize the sections smoothly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Colin Nicholls said:

@winkpain,

>>Re-sizing a Section by grabbing boundary edge has odd behavior and doesn't re-size to my chosen point but is offset awkwardly by a measure,

 

You have snap to grid (1 measure) activated. Turn snap off and you should be able to resize the sections smoothly

Understood. But if I want to have snap enabled for measures, I just want it to snap correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I create a new section, is there any way to immediately type the name? I'm forever creating a section and then right-clicking and selecting "rename"

  • Great Idea 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Thanks very much for the feedback mate.

Upon your advice I've swapped over to JBridge - although it took a little while to cross reference 32 bit plugins and change them to load.
It definitely feels like this has had a positive impact - Cakewalk now shows a consistent decrease in memory utilisation and gradually jbridge instances are closed. I'd say it now takes a minute to remove itself from task manager.

Is there any difference in latency and resource utilisation (CPU/Memory) between these in your experience?
I noticed that Cakewalk was up-to 25GB of RAM usage whilst closing! Although I do have some pretty big projects - 200 tracks with 4 instances of superior drummer and a few other VST's. I don't recall it previously getting quite that high although i've certainly gone up to 16GB.

Would you say this is expected behaviour given project size and resource usage?


Best wishes,
Matthew

Its not expected. Something is likely consuming more memory than it should. Did you try removing some plugins and retesting it? Also make sure that you are not using scheduling model 3 since its still under development and there are some memory leaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, winkpain said:

Understood. But if I want to have snap enabled for measures, I just want it to snap correctly.

Hmm. On closer examination of your video, I think I see what you mean. This isn't happening for me - snap to measure seems to work for section resizing as I'd expect it to.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noel - I've done what I can to  update all video drivers. I can't seem to find any other way to witness a crash outside of the EA install. I've also performed a couple of restore points to see if anything recent could be causing this. It seems consistent that this crash only appears after the EA install. The prior versions utilizing both existing and new basic template projects doesn't produce this. The EA utilizing existing and new  basic template project loads produces the crash. Not sure what to try from this point.  I'm hoping that the official roll out will also allow rolling back to 2020-01 version if it doesn't work?  I've done probably 3 installs and 2 roll backs of the Early access install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Hmm. On closer examination of your video, I think I see what you mean. This isn't happening for me - snap to measure seems to work for section resizing as I'd expect it to.

I think it's with snap set to By instead of To that this happens.   At least trying to move the Section start point backwards in time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Yes, please!

As long as they're in a control bar module which I can hide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, winkpain said:

Couple issues with the new Arranger function for me:

  • Right-clicking or clicking menu dots and choosing Rename does not function (Double clicking the name in the Arr. Inspector or pressing F2 DOES work, however)
  • Re-sizing a Section by grabbing boundary edge has odd behavior and doesn't re-size to my chosen point but is offset awkwardly by a measure, it seems

Both these issues displayed in attached video....

I can reproduce the sizing issue - we'll get this fixed for the main release.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...