[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.04 Early Access 1

1 hour ago, Jan said:

So, if I have 2019.09, install 2020.04 and find out that something is not working, my only "official" option is to go back to 2020.01, which might have the same issue... I hope "rollback to what *I* had" is in the works :) Keep it up.

Every installer starting from this release will have a rollback to prior version. So you will only be able to go as far as 2020.01 by rolling back successively.
We don't  plan to have rollbacks to earlier than that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Every installer starting from this release will have a rollback to prior version. So you will only be able to go as far as 2020.01 by rolling back successively.
We don't  plan to have rollbacks to earlier than that.

Ah, I see, so assuming there'd be a 2020.03, 2020.05 - 2020.05 would let me rollback to 2020.03, then from 2020.03 I'd be able to rollback to 2020.01, correct?

1 hour ago, Jan said:

Ah, I see, so assuming there'd be a 2020.03, 2020.05 - 2020.05 would let me rollback to 2020.03, then from 2020.03 I'd be able to rollback to 2020.01, correct?

If you kept the previous releases' rollbacks, then this would theoretically work. There might be some minor differences related to content (presets and the like) by successively rolling back than if you had never installed the later updates, but the actual Cakewalk app will work per that given update after rolling back. The primary goal of having a rollback installer is that if we release an Early Access or other update that if you run into a blocking issue, there's a simple way to go back until we've been able to address the issue. In general we recommend sticking with the current version though. 👍

10 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

If you kept the previous releases' rollbacks, then this would theoretically work. There might be some minor differences related to content (presets and the like) by successively rolling back than if you had never installed the later updates, but the actual Cakewalk app will work per that given update after rolling back. The primary goal of having a rollback installer is that if we release an Early Access or other update that if you run into a blocking issue, there's a simple way to go back until we've been able to address the issue. In general we recommend sticking with the current version though. 👍

4 minutes ago, Feral State Sound said:

Sorry for the double post, I can't edit the previous one with my phone. Thank you for the roll-back option, I am sure that many people that is working on a tight deadline doesn't want to wait for a hotfix.

When working on tight deadline, I'd recommend staying away from EA's to begin with.

In fact, I'd say that most studio people don't upgrade at all during deadlines... I lagged 3-4 Cakewalk releases behind during an intense period, where stability was priority #1.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

When working on tight deadline, I'd recommend staying away from EA's to begin with.

In fact, I'd say that most studio people don't upgrade at all during deadlines... I lagged 3-4 Cakewalk releases behind during an intense period, where stability was priority #1.

It's worth checking out (or at least reading the release notes) as we go through updates. We're certainly striving to increase stability with updates.

Maybe if you've got a deadline "on Monday" you might want to hold off, but if you've got a couple months to go, it could be worth it to check out an EA. Maybe we fixed something that's been bugging you, or optimized performance on something. I actually used the early iterations of the Arranger to help write a song on a record I put out last month. 

The rollback is simply there just in case. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

It's worth checking out (or at least reading the release notes) as we go through updates. We're certainly striving to increase stability with updates.

Maybe if you've got a deadline "on Monday" you might want to hold off, but if you've got a couple months to go, it could be worth it to check out an EA. Maybe we fixed something that's been bugging you, or optimized performance on something. I actually used the early iterations of the Arranger to help write a song on a record I put out last month. 

That's the thing, to have a rollback feature "just in case" we need it. I tend to not update until I read your comments regarding stability and such but, now, I can update in a non destructive way.

I get people getting worried about updates esp with all the crazy stuff that has been happening with Window updates over the last year or so.

However one sanity check to keep in mind is that this is DAW software not an operating system with a million components and dependencies. When we update there are typically very a few things installed. The app exe, a few dll's and perhaps some content like this time. Rolling back is very safe and painless since all its doing is reverting a few files on the system. In theory a user would be able to do it manually for most updates by just reverting the contents of the Cakewalk Core folder in Program files.

i.e. its not something to worry about too much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I get people getting worried about updates

I hope you know that they are a minority. The best thing is what you do every month. Of course, every step forward can bring collateral issues, but you are always there listening to us to fix them.

Thanks a lot👍::.

Edited by MarianoGF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

First of all, I love what you guys do and am super grateful!

All I'm saying is that evaluating new things takes time even if everything goes perfectly. And, from time to time, small gremlins might also show up... after all, this IS software we're talking about. :) I work in IT, so maybe I'm just damaged... 😂

@Noel Borthwick @Jonathan Sasor Oh and I never got to thank you guys properly for Duplicate Clip! It was something I longed for for years. And now that it respects Snap By, I am in techno drum programming heaven! It's the best thing since sliced loops! 🎚️🎹😁 You guys rock!

Edited by GreenLight

@Noel BorthwickPossible minor bug on Arrangement Export as Audio.

I exported an arrangement which was named... 

Watch Out NewJH01-Arrangement 1.mp3

After making a few changes I decided to keep this one and add another arrangement and saved it as...

Watch Out NewJH01-Arrangement 2.mp3  (this was what I typed in the save as box).

The resulting file was named...

Watch Out NewJH01-Arrangement 2-Arrangement 1.mp3

20 minutes ago, ZincT said:

@Noel BorthwickPossible minor bug on Arrangement Export as Audio.

I exported an arrangement which was named... 

Watch Out NewJH01-Arrangement 1.mp3

After making a few changes I decided to keep this one and add another arrangement and saved it as...

Watch Out NewJH01-Arrangement 2.mp3  (this was what I typed in the save as box).

The resulting file was named...

Watch Out NewJH01-Arrangement 2-Arrangement 1.mp3

It appends what the name of the arrangement is after what you type for the file name. This is by design. That way if you export more than one arrangement at a time, you can tell them apart. 

• Thanks 1