[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.04 Early Access 1

I've been experimenting & there appear to be some serious issues with VST plugin parameter automation when the VST plugins are on a bus channel.

- Automation recorded via 'Automation Write  = enabled' & tweaking in the VST plugin UI, cannot be viewed in individual lanes by pressing the 'Automation Lanes = On' button.

- Automation recorded or entered manually is not played back (/sent) to the plugin, when the project is played.

Edited by foldaway

I'm not sure if this is a consistent problem with all users, but I still have the issue with Ripple Edit  mentioned with the 2020.1 release as discussed here...

Additional details are that when using the full PRV view and attempting to copy/paste, drag/copy, or duplicate notes with Ripple Edit engaged that status does not take effect - i.e. existing notes just get pasted on top of rather than sliding over, "ripple-style".  Performing the same edit (on the exact same notes on the same track) in the inline PRV (or with clips), however, the behavior is as expected with Ripple Edit functioning accordingly with notes sliding over accommodating the copy function.

@msmcleod  we had exchanged over this a bit. I wonder if it's still on the radar...

Edited by winkpain

On 4/14/2020 at 2:50 AM, Max Arwood said:

I have not noticed that with older projects. Are they edited with the track arranger? Or just opened and exported?

Max Arwood

No. I was working on two projects before updating to the new version, messed around with the arranger trying to find some good use for it, (which it has, If you do EDM. By the way, isn't the matrix similliar as the arranger?) but I haven't touch any of the settings. Just thrown some loops in and arrange it to my taste. A day later I'd open an old project (Week old.) and that happened. Tried about four times thinking I haven't selected any of the tracks, same story. Just the effects that you hear on the song -  Like all the channels were muted, that you only hear the effects on your bus channels . . . 😕. Luckily for me, the rollback setup came in handy.

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@RBH I tried to contact you today by PM but didn't get any response. To get further with this we need to do some diagnosis on your system since we cannot repro on any Windows 7 systems we have. It appears to be system specific. I was able to extract some further information from the minidump which appears to indicate that the crash is triggered by Intel IPP software that is used by Cakewalk. See the stack below. When does it crash for you -  On app startup itself, when opening a specific project or when opening a blank template?

This could be caused by incompatible components. Keep in mind that other vendors are also not testing Win7 so it could be something else indirectly triggering the crash. I realize that everyone has their own constraints but please stop using Win7 asap.

X64_APPLICATION_FAULT_NULL_POINTER_READ_INVALID_POINTER_READ_d3d11!CCreateDeviceCache::CUMDAdapterCache::Load+bc

Hi Noel - Thanks for that - I did respond to your PM.  The crash occurs after project load - and the project appears to load normally. It also crashes at blank project load - after loading. I'm currently rolled back to 2020-01. Glad to make whatever arraignments I can for your inquiry.

Is it possible that when you right click on the section bar in the arrangement track or the arrangement inspector that there can a "properties" entry at the bottom.

This can show things like duration (in H:M:S:F format)  Start and finish time (in H:M:S:F and M:B:T format). 

Hi guys,

Another bug - although might not be specific to this release.

When I save track templates I experience a significant spike in both CPU  and memory utilisation (~4GB) and the save can take up-to a minute, locking up the PC.

Whilst the projects that i'm running are large - the individual tracks may only be a single audio track routed to a few busses and so shouldn't be that intensive.

I've seen the Kontakt module come up whilst doing this which leads me to believe that it's trying to preemptively save the VST's, which aren't related to the actual track.  It also is worsened within projects with a larger number of VST's.

Loading these tracks into a different project is quick and doesn't bring in anything it shouldn't.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher

Hi, thanks to the Bakers to 2020.04 Early Access update! It looks awesome!

I also would like to comment EA is avoiding me to watch streaming media on sites like Youtube and Soundcloud, where playback doesn't occur. To stop this issue I'll have to logout Windows (and login it again).
By the way I had a similar issue with Sony Vegas Studio, but I found out that changing Windows audio settings to 48 KHz before using it and going back to 44 KHz after that would do the trick. But I guess that was another scenario!

Best regards

On 4/15/2020 at 2:56 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@RBH yes we plan on releasing rollback installers going forward with every release.

Will they rollback to the previous released version or the version that I had installed? For instance, I'm on 2019.09 ATM. If I install 2020.04 and decide to rollback will it rollback to 2020.01 (previous release) or 2019.09 (the one that I had)?

1 minute ago, Jan said:

Will they rollback to the previous released version or the version that I had installed? For instance, I'm on 2019.09 ATM. If I install 2020.04 and decide to rollback will it rollback to 2020.01 (previous release) or 2019.09 (the one that I had)?

Currently the rollback will only go to the immediately prior release.

@Noel Borthwick I did the roll back to 2020.01 update but the issue was still there! Sorry I didn't noticed that before!

In relation to the driver mode I'm using ASIO.

Also I'd like to add that I tweaked some options on Windows Sound Control Panel and that reduced the streaming sites issue, so the bug only occurs when CbB is open (if I shut it down streaming sites will work fine).

Best regards

8 hours ago, mgustavo said:

@Noel Borthwick I did the roll back to 2020.01 update but the issue was still there! Sorry I didn't noticed that before!

In relation to the driver mode I'm using ASIO.

Also I'd like to add that I tweaked some options on Windows Sound Control Panel and that reduced the streaming sites issue, so the bug only occurs when CbB is open (if I shut it down streaming sites will work fine).

Best regards

If you are using ASIO that is weird... I thought that you were using Wasapi shared mode and you have Cakewalk running at 44'1 while the rest of the programs at 48. Did you try with wasapi shared? 

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the feedback, but I guess the issue was related to an automatic Windows Update on this week!
While doing some tests I noticed Windows Defender was damaged, so I did another Windows Update and both WD and media sites issues are resolved!
@Noel Borthwick Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by mgustavo

5 minutes ago, mgustavo said:

Hi, thanks for the feedback, but I guess the issue was related to an automatic Windows Update on this week!
While doing some tests I noticed Windows Defender was damaged, so I did another Windows Update and both WD and media sites issues are resolved!
@Noel Borthwick Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks for the update. Thats bizarre. So now launching cakewalk doesn't impact audio from other apps?

15 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Currently the rollback will only go to the immediately prior release.

So, if I have 2019.09, install 2020.04 and find out that something is not working, my only "official" option is to go back to 2020.01, which might have the same issue... I hope "rollback to what *I* had" is in the works :) Keep it up.