[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.04 Early Access 1

10 minutes ago, Keni said:

OK... Sorry to be the first one not thrilled...

I'm very glad to have the discrete module presets. That will be handy...

The arranger track? Though it looks very powerful and well thought out, I currently don't feel it's something I wish to use. I feel that at the moment, I prefer the clarity of my project is what I expect it to be. Using the Arranger makes this not necessarily so. I don't want to add to my aging confusion. It's simple enough for me to create alternate song versions for different arrangement ideas if and when I might find that necessary. Fortunately for me this is not often the case.

So along these lines, I ask for a"small" adjustment to this new feature. I would like to be able to remove it from the track view. It currently forces my available screen real estate a tiny bit less horizontally which is very often a challenge...

Thanks...

Just press the "i" key (and then drag the cursor up on that section and it will no longer be there).

You seem to be missing the point of what it can do, and it is only visible if you engage it.

If you re-arrange to your liking there seems to be  a commit arrangement function which would then place things in the time line in the new order you specify, audio and midi.  

While I normally have what something will look like mapped out, or have a mentality of , I'll just re-do it.  This seems  very useful.  Now I just want something like a chord track where I can visually see chord changes that isn't tied to a tiny marker.

Edited by Brian Walton

57 minutes ago, Keni said:

The arranger track? Though it looks very powerful and well thought out, I currently don't feel it's something I wish to use. I feel that at the moment, I prefer the clarity of my project is what I expect it to be. Using the Arranger makes this not necessarily so. I don't want to add to my aging confusion. It's simple enough for me to create alternate song versions for different arrangement ideas if and when I might find that necessary. Fortunately for me this is not often the case.

There is another way to use the arranger, as a collection of non-overlapping informational markers.

Tracks may ignore arranger sections by setting the Arranger Exclude option in the track properties inspector.

If all tracks are excluded, the arranger sections are just colored markers that can serve as navigation aids that contain readable text about the section.

I wonder if a separate "marker track" is in CbB's future.

• Great Idea 2

19 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Re: Marker Lock

I lock a marker. I see the Marker Lock Indicator in the Markers view. What are the expected consequences of this? I can still move the marker in the Track View timeline, even though the marker is "locked". Is this a bug?

No, it does not prevent the marker from being manually moved. it changes the marker from using M:B:T to SMPTE time.

• Thanks 2

Is it just me or has anyone else felt this? I'm not certain as my memory is not what it was...

In the PRV I suddenly feel as if the ctrl-scroll command I've always used to scroll the PRV while editing has reversed directions?

I hope I'm mistaken but I keep doing it with muscle memory and I keep finding myself going the wrong way...

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Just press the "i" key (and then drag the cursor up on that section and it will no longer be there).

You seem to be missing the point of what it can do, and it is only visible if you engage it.

If you re-arrange to your liking there seems to be  a commit arrangement function which would then place things in the time line in the new order you specify, audio and midi.  

While I normally have what something will look like mapped out, or have a mentality of , I'll just re-do it.  This seems  very useful.  Now I just want something like a chord track where I can visually see chord changes that isn't tied to a tiny marker.

Thanks, but I do get it. I’m just not comfortable with it at the moment. That might change given time.

I'm not speaking of it's visibility in the Inspector. I’m talking about it's minimal appearance in the track view itself. It does not close and disappear at top of clips pane and the word with + below the now time above the track widgets. They infringe on the available height real estate for tracks. It’s always a challenge for me to have enough visibility as track counts increase.

I would like to be able to completely hide it when not in use where currently, it is always occupying some minimal space.

3 hours ago, scook said:

There is another way to use the arranger, as a collection of non-overlapping informational markers.

Tracks may ignore arranger sections by setting the Arranger Exclude option in the track properties inspector.

If all tracks are excluded, the arranger sections are just colored markers that can serve as navigation aids that contain readable text about the section.

I wonder if a separate "marker track" is in CbB's future.

It might be handy if the regions between markers in the timeline simply showed as color coded areas while allowing us to read thru all timeline info, but I hate sacrificing the screen real estate it is currently forcing.

3 hours ago, scook said:

There is an option to toggle the Arranger track it in the Track View View menu. It is bound to keyboard shortcut "A"

As usual! Steve to the rescue. Perfect! Exactly the solution I wanted!

6 hours ago, Keith Lane said:

Love the arranger, great to see song structure get some love. I'd like to be able to save and load arrangements so if I work on a 16 or a 32 bar loop, I can then load a pre existing arrangement and then start to fill a song from that as inspiration, would be nice to save and load markers too. Is this already there, and I'm just missing it ?

@Keith Lane you can save and load multiple arrangements within the same project. If you click the dropdown in the arrangements pane in the inspector you can create as many arrangements as you like. When you select one of them from the arrangements combo box it loads all the sections in that arrangement. Arrangements can duplicate or reference sections that exist in the section pool. 

arrangements.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay... No one else seeing this? This is starting to drive me crazy!

Was this intentional? It does appear that in PRV, ctrl-scroll-wheel is now scrolling in the opposite direction. Yes I posted it above but it seems no one else picking up on it? Is it me? Have my muscle memory tools reversed???

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keni said:

Okay... No one else seeing this? This is starting to drive me crazy!

Was this intentional? It does appear that in PRV, ctrl-scroll-wheel is now scrolling in the opposite direction. Yes I posted it above but it seems no one else picking up on it? Is it me? Have my muscle memory tools reversed???

The CTRL + wheel scroll direction got reversed as a side effect of another change. It's logged and on the list to fix before the final 2020.04 release

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

The CTRL + wheel scroll direction got reversed as a side effect of another change. It's logged and on the list to fix before the final 2020.04 release

Whew!

Thanks Jonathan! I know I'm going crazy but it’s a relief to know not that bad yet! 😎

• Like 3

On 4/11/2020 at 10:09 AM, RBH said:

I had a persistent fatal error after song load on a win 7 system.  Is there a link to where I can send a mini dump ?

cake 2020 04.PNG

Hi @RBH as shown in your screenshot the crash is in Direct3D. The dump's you sent verify this.

The crashes are not in Cakewalk code unfortunately. Looks like something is crashing your Direct 3d system. Its video related.

Unhandled exception at 0x000007FEEC8AE354 (d3d11.dll) in Awake_04112020_085330.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

Unhandled exception at 0x000007FEE973E354 (d3d11.dll) in Untitled_04112020_185511.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Keith Lane you can save and load multiple arrangements within the same project. If you click the dropdown in the arrangements pane in the inspector you can create as many arrangements as you like. When you select one of them from the arrangements combo box it loads all the sections in that arrangement. Arrangements can duplicate or reference sections that exist in the section pool. 

arrangements.png

The coolest and most useful feature added in recent history! Cakewalk originally wasn't primarily recording software (though it's great it can now do that too! I'd to see VCA faders one day though :p) but music creation software . This feature honours Cakewalk's original purpose. And while it's primarily for composers and song writers, producers can also chop up songs or pieces for television and film!

Edited by Davydh
  • Like 1

Hello.
I have a problem with the Repeater v.1.1.6 plugin. I have a version of the plugin from Slate Digital (maybe it does not differ from the original plugin from D16).
After loading this plug-in (or several plug-ins) after about 10 minutes, all parameters on the plug-in interface are frozen and cannot be changed. This happens in all Repeater plugins in the project. After rebooting Sonar and loading the project again, everything is fine, but after a short time the plug-in parameters freeze again.
In other DAWs, this is not a problem.
Has anyone had the same problem in Sonar?
I have Windows 10, Sonar version 2020.01.
Is version 2020.04 fixed this problem?

P.S.
I turned to the technical support D16. I was advised to clarify the plugin version (click the Options button while holding Ctrl key) and found that I have version 1.1.5!, although I installed version 1.1.6 on top of this version.
Now I uninstalled version 1.1.5, installed version 1.1.6 - everything works fine.

Edited by Maxim Vasilyev