[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.04 Early Access 1

4 hours ago, Keni said:

I'm curious how it's handling automation envelopes.

Anyone?

Section Drag Move / Copy operations move/copy absolutely everything - including track & clip envelopes.  If this isn't what you want, you can use Cut Special/Paste Special or Copy Special/Paste special to specify what you want, or the standard Cut/Copy/Paste which will work as before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Keni said:

Anyone?

I just tried it with some volume automation on a simple 16 bar 4 section EZKeys song that I made (see below).

Seems to work as expected. Note the first Section 5 copy (bar 18) was made before I did the automation envelope and the second copy (bar 22) after.

UPDATE: Also, just to be clear, in the arrangement below section 5 (with the fade in) is played twice which you probably wouldn't want in reality but you could just make another copy of the section without the automation for the second iteration. Also just ignore fade in up to the end of section 6 :) 

FYI in EzKeys I used its built-in transport to create the sections then dragged the MIDI into CbB and muted the MIDI in EzKeys.

I have also posted an mp3 of the arrangement so you can hear how the volume envelope is applied.

1696510469_ArrangeAuto.thumb.jpg.ee742e06c34401eb75de4df4b5ec65cd.jpg

Arranger Test-Arrangement 1.mp3

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

A few tips for using the arranger...

Selection: Clicking on a section toggles the selection of the events, so remember to look at whether the clip area is shaded or not before you move or resize them. If you're just going to be editing the sections themselves, turn off "Select Events with Sections" to avoid accidentally editing your clip data. 

Modifiers: Modifiers play a big part in section draw / drag operations... as a general rule, remember this: 

• CTRL copies 
  • ALT overwrites
  • SHIFT shifts stuff along

Clip boundaries: You'll get far more predictable results if your clips are split at, or line up with the section boundaries.

Cross-fades: If you're still moving blocks of audio around, it's probably too early in your project workflow to introduce cross-fades. Wait until your arrangement is finished, then worry about where you need to put cross-fades.

Committing Arrangements: Any VSTi's that generate content based on the current timeline, e.g. EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, JamStix, etc. will not be aware of your new song structure after committing an arrangement. Consider freezing these tracks before committing your arrangement.

• Thanks 3
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Keni said:

Anyone?

I haven't got to that point Kenni. But I have mixed audio with midi synths and it's working as I said, flawlessly. 

But you do raise a valid question. Later on I will give a try and get back to ya.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Committing Arrangements: Any VSTi's that generate content based on the current timeline, e.g. EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, JamStix, etc. will not be aware of your new song structure after committing an arrangement. Consider freezing these tracks before committing your arrangement.

Are you saying arranger doesn't work with midi? You have to render virtual instruments?

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Section Drag Move / Copy operations move/copy absolutely everything - including track & clip envelopes.  If this isn't what you want, you can use Cut Special/Paste Special or Copy Special/Paste special to specify what you want, or the standard Cut/Copy/Paste which will work as before.

Thanks Mark...

Just what I wanted to hear!

Good job!

39 minutes ago, Davydh said:

Are you saying arranger doesn't work with midi? You have to render virtual instruments?

Arranger is fully integrated with MIDI. What Mark mentioned has to do with certain generative VST instruments that have their own internal timeline (EzDrummer, etc) If you sequence something within the VST to play based on the original project timeline, of course the VST will playback using that timeline as a reference. So if you make an arrangement that splits up the original project into different sections the plugin will be unaware of this and will continue to play based on the original project timeline.

You have two ways to handle this:

• Don't use the plugin's internal timeline to sequence things
  • Freeze the plugin before rendering an arrangement

Note that arrangement preview will always work since it hasn't committed the arrangement yet.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Paul G said:

Cake Crew. 

Thanks so much for the PC presets!  Been waiting for that for a long time.

This is great that we have now presets for PC! The only thing I wonder is how can we copy the presets to another computer or back them up?

The roll back  worked great  :)  I understand that Win 7 isn't technically supported. -then again I'm not asking for support,  just looking to report - if it's welcome.  And thanks for the suggestion on driver updates.

Hello,
I have a problem with the arrangements. I created 3 sections with only Addictives Drums 2 like Vsti.
I organize the sections in one arrangement in ABCB.
In playback of the arrangement, the sound of the first section plays well and then cuts off just before the start of the second, playback continues but without sound even in normal playback mode.
I have to open the project again to find the sound.

Thanks for your help.