Newest version doesn't work on Windows 7?

Yes. I'm aware that Windows 7 is outdated. 

But, I don't remember seeing a warning that Windows 7 support would be dropped. This should have at least warranted an email, right? 

Can anyone tell me what the last version is that works with Windows 7 and how to update to that version? 

I tried to update to the latest and I get a warning that it's not supported.

• Like 1

Yes, CbB 2020.01 works on Win7.

As you have seen there is notice when installing on Win7. This is more effective than an email because delivery is guaranteed.

Development on Win7 stopped well before CbB and most testing has been on Win10 for about as long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a difference between "Does it work?" and "Is it supported?".  

The newest version DOES still work in Win 7, but Bandlab is not doing any QA or support against a vendor obsoleted and vendor unsupportted  OS.  So, someday it probably  really won't work.

Edited by StudioNSFW

That's what I was worried about. I could go ahead and install, but then end up where a critical function wouldn't work. So far, Windows 10 is great. I installed it a couple of years ago on this same computer, and it was a nightmare. Right now, it's running better than Windows 7, and I never thought I'd say that with my previous experience.

The reason i'm negative to win 10 is multitude.

Expand your thinking.

With CakewalkbyBandlab, which i like. is this movement towards an extremely small niche for a daw.

A daw that is to be not solely windows only, but windows with the version 10 only.

PS. To give back something positive i propose to the developers:

Fork the software.

Release todays version of CbB as free software. Remove the update and authentication from it and give it a slightly other name. Copy Reapers way with a notification in the center when started. But have it to be manually exited so people can take their own time to read it carefully.

The notification should state that it is released as is and are never going to be updated or supported. If they want updates and support they have to use CbB instead.

In that way you can continue to develop CbB as usual and still have win 7 and 8.1 users contribute to the community.

PPS. Music hardware seems to be of good quality. Folks take them out from their storage and fire them up without a problem 30 years later. People like that nowadays, reuse things and not throwing them away. But you need the old software to still be around to be able to use lot of the old hardware.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

@Kurre, I'm writing this on a 13 year old, entry level Dell laptop.  This laptop was one of the last Vista laptops and was eligible for upgrade to Windows 7 so it became one of the first Windows 7 laptops.  When the upgrade to Windows 10 was first announced several years ago the Microsoft update wizard blocked the upgrade stating the hardware was too old and not supported.  I tried again last month.  The update went through and the process was easy.   Since the Windows 10 update I've been impressed with Windows 10 and how well this laptop works. 

My point is if you have the ability to upgrade to Windows 10 I believe you should.  Windows 10 works better than Windows 7.

On a related note my vote for an alternate version of Cakewalk would be for a return of the 32 bit DAW.  Windows 10 can be installed 32 or 64 bit but 64 bit is the default install.  I believe the 32 bit DAW should be available as long as a 32 bit operating system is available.

15 hours ago, Kurre said:

Expand your thinking.

With CakewalkbyBandlab, which i like. is this movement towards an extremely small niche for a daw.

A daw that is to be not solely windows only, but windows with the version 10 only.

Fork the software.

Release todays version of CbB as free software. Remove the update and authentication from it and give it a slightly other name. Copy Reapers way with a notification in the center when started. But have it to be manually exited so people can take their own time to read it carefully.

The notification should state that it is released as is and are never going to be updated or supported. If they want updates and support they have to use CbB instead.

In that way you can continue to develop CbB as usual and still have win 7 and 8.1 users contribute to the community.

PPS. Music hardware seems to be of good quality. Folks take them out from their storage and fire them up without a problem 30 years later. People like that nowadays, reuse things and not throwing them away. But you need the old software to still be around to be able to use lot of the old hardware.

We primarily test with Windows 10 (which is what the the large majority of users are on), but we still 100% support Windows 8.1

We stopped officially supporting 7 because Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7. It drains resources when you have to work around functions that are not available in older versions of Windows. 

As is, we still do not prevent you from installing on Win 7. We just flag that to let users know that we're not going out of our way to fix any bugs that are specific to Windows 7. I mean, you could install CbB on Vista with the same message if you really wanted to, we just give you the heads up.

• Thanks 3

I'm thankful for the new rollback feature which i hope will function well.

This mean i should be able to continue using CbB as long as any eventual major problem can't be traced to the windows version.

Nice that someone care about me...gives me a warm fuzzy feeling...:x

Oh, and arranger too. What do i get on my real birthday? :)

Still, it's no waste to have better understanding of Reaper.

20 hours ago, Kurre said:

Expand your thinking.

Fork the software.

A big +1 here! 

I've been chewing on the upgrade to Win 10 but, in the middle of a big project is not time to change horses.  Even upgrading to the new release adds a new major feature (arranger) which means that there is a greater risk in upgrading in that projects will no longer open in my safety net, my paid for and damned expensive X3 install. I would be happy as a clam with a perpetual and frozen version of the software.  All software eventually suffers from scope creep as new features get bolted on and backward compatibility suffers.

Will I be forced to accept an upgrade eventually to re-activate?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

Even upgrading to the new release adds a new major feature (arranger) which means that there is a greater risk in upgrading in that projects will no longer open in my safety net, my paid for and damned expensive X3 install.

There has never been a guarantee of forward compatibility.

That said, projects created in 2020.04 using the arranger feature open in X3. Like all versions of SONAR, opening projects created in CbB will generate a warning message about the project being created with a newer project and the chance of missing features.

So far, the only features that completely prevent projects from opening in SONAR are patch points and aux tracks. Opening a project containing patch points or aux tracks in a version of SONAR that does not support the feature, such as X3, will fail.

I would be happy as a clam with a perpetual and frozen version of the software.

That would be X3 in your case

Will I be forced to accept an upgrade eventually to re-activate? 

Tough to predict the future but my guess is at some point a feature will be added using an MS library that won't load in older OSes. Much like what happened between X2 and X2a with multitouch support. X2 was the last version of SONAR which could be installed on XP because the libraries needed for X2a were not available for the OS.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 2:14 AM, Resonant Serpent said:

Thanks for the info Scook.

I solved my dilemma. It's still free to upgrade Windows 7, so I took the entire computer to Windows 10 and was able to install the latest version with no problem. It scanned my plugs and I was off and working. 

Where and how is it still free to upgrade to Win 10?

On 4/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, Kurre said:

I'm thankful for the new rollback feature which i hope will function well.

What is this feature?  I just searched the CbB PDF reference and found nothing.   An ability  to go back to the prior version?  Which menu is this feature listed in, if I'm getting this right?

Edited by Toddskins

59 minutes ago, scook said:

Currently a rollback installer is provided for the 2040.04 Early Access program only.

Ok, that was bad, very bad.

It was not made perfectly clear that it was a "new feature" solely for EA program.

1 minute ago, User 905133 said:

To me the following sentence (1) says nothing about the Rollback Installer being a feature (or a generalized feature) and (2) clearly states it is to be used to revert to the 2020.01 release. Also (3) the sentence is in the 2020.04 EA thread.

That was not what i read.

I don't know where you get the impression that i'm stupid.

An expanded thought.

The multinational giant MS forces you to make an account to install win10. It can be worked around but they made it hard to do so.

MS have also implied that win10 would have ads.

Do you think ads would not affect creative work?

Does updates and maintenance in the background never affect you when you're working at the pc?

Almost never isn't really a good answer.

• Meh 1