Cakewalk Needs Reboot

Johnbee58

I'm finding that if I exit Cakewalk by Bandlab and later have to relaunch it, it will not relaunch without a computer reboot.  I tried launching other programs in between but that seldom works.  There are times when I have to exit the DAW and return to it later in the same session.   Is there a reason for this and/or a solution?

Thanks

John B 😊

When that happens, open Task Manager and see if there is a zombie instance of the executable. "Zombie" is the term for a process that's still running but has no user interface and no way to interact with it. If you see cakewalk.exe in the task list, kill the process there and save having to reboot.

When this happens it's because CW has been unable to completely shut down because something external to CW (e.g. the audio driver) has become unresponsive.

• Like 1

Often a stuck plug-in, so test it with a project with no plug-ins.

If you can open a project with no plug-ins and close Cakewalk and then open it again, work your way back from there adding your favorite plug-ins until you find which one Cakewalk is choking on.

At that point, you may be able to switch to or from the VST3 or 2 version, contact support, etc. or at least rule out a plug-in as the source of your trouble.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 10:38 AM, bitflipper said:

When that happens, open Task Manager and see if there is a zombie instance of the executable. "Zombie" is the term for a process that's still running but has no user interface and no way to interact with it. If you see cakewalk.exe in the task list, kill the process there and save having to reboot.

When this happens it's because CW has been unable to completely shut down because something external to CW (e.g. the audio driver) has become unresponsive.

@bitflipper Your suggestion on using the Task Manager worked.  Halfway down the list I saw "Cakewalk Application".  I ended the task and CbB restarted with no more issues.

Thanks so much!  Thanks all for your suggestions.

😊JB