Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cclarry

30% off Ableton Live, Suite, Intro, and Upgrades:

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Anxiousmofo said:

And it somehow still manages to be outrageously expensive. $342 to go from 9 Standard to Suite?

No thanks.

Once you get in that boat the Suite upgrade is still expensive. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Once you get in that boat the Suite upgrade is still expensive. 

I will never understand their business model, but apparently it works for them, at least. 

So it goes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 9 standard and the upgrade for 10 standard is $160. I don't think it's worth 'cause I can't see the big difference apart from some minor cosmetic changes. I have loads of 3rd part plugins, instruments and libraries so the Suite content also does not appeal me. The only thing I'd like to have is Max for Live and the recently added components to interface with modular gear via DC coupled interfaces. But even for that $342 is waaay too expensive 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30% is is the biggest discount they offered in at least 6 years, their sales are always 20% or 25%.

 

$342 (non-sale price $489) is not simply "from 9 Standard to Suite", but "from Live 1 - 9 to 10 Suite", it is not only for Live 9 users.

 

Also, when Live 10 was on beta and for some time after the launch, Live 9 (or earlier) users could upgrade to 9 Standard or 9 Suite and get the Live 10 upgrade free, like from 9 Standard to 9 Suite (plus 10 Suite) for $249. 

 

1 hour ago, Anxiousmofo said:

I will never understand their business model, but apparently it works for them, at least. 

So it goes...

 


It is simple, Ableton upgrade prices are structured so everybody pays about the same prices for the same product tiers.

 

Getting Suite is not cheaper than getting Intro + upgrade to Suite, there is no "special deal" for paying more upfront.

 

You can skip versions to save $, but then you have to wait a looooong time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pottering said:

$342 (non-sale price $489) is not simply "from 9 Standard to Suite", but "from Live 1 - 9 to 10 Suite", it is not only for Live 9 users.

It is simple, Ableton upgrade prices are structured so everybody pays about the same prices for the same product tiers.

Getting Suite is not cheaper than getting Intro + upgrade to Suite, there is no "special deal" for paying more upfront.

Except that if you upgrade since version 1 you'd have paid looooooads more for the same product than a newcomer.  I'd say that this policy is geared towards getting new people on board. OTOH this discourages many people (Iike me) from upgrading. Arturia uses the same tactics and... well... I'm still on version 5 of the V Collection bundle. Maybe they could get more money by giving their loyal users a better deal.

Edited by Sergio
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pottering said:

30% is is the biggest discount they offered in at least 6 years, their sales are always 20% or 25%.

 

$342 (non-sale price $489) is not simply "from 9 Standard to Suite", but "from Live 1 - 9 to 10 Suite", it is not only for Live 9 users.

 

Also, when Live 10 was on beta and for some time after the launch, Live 9 (or earlier) users could upgrade to 9 Standard or 9 Suite and get the Live 10 upgrade free, like from 9 Standard to 9 Suite (plus 10 Suite) for $249. 

 

 


It is simple, Ableton upgrade prices are structured so everybody pays about the same prices for the same product tiers.

 

Getting Suite is not cheaper than getting Intro + upgrade to Suite, there is no "special deal" for paying more upfront.

 

You can skip versions to save $, but then you have to wait a looooong time.

What Sergio said.

Further, the fundamental issue is that, aside from being structured in an unfair way for loyal users, their offerings are intensely overpriced to begin with, and their sales are middling.  And they put most of their software development efforts into features for a companion hardware that costs another $799.

It's their business.  I just think they could have a LOT more business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sergio said:

Except that if you upgrade since version 1 you'd have paid looooooads more for the same product than a newcomer.  I'd say that this policy is geared towards getting new people on board. OTOH this discourages many people (Iike me) from upgrading. Arturia uses the same tactics and... well... I'm still on version 5 of the V Collection bundle. Maybe they could get more money by giving their loyal users a better deal.

 

You are quoting me out-of-context, gluing stuff that was meant as an answer to another user with stuff that was just info about Ableton sales.

 

I wrote "product TIERS", like Intro/Standard/Suite, not major numbered versions  like Live 9 or 10.

 

Ableton's upgrade model is the same as the vast majority of paid software out there. 

 

(Of the few that don't use that model, many use models people hate, like WUP and subscription models)

 

Besides audio software, I buy graphic design software, illustration software, video software, game design software, plus games and utilities.

 

The vast majority charge for upgrades just like Ableton, even the discounts are similar, 40-60% of full price.

 

Can't recall any software that gives a bigger discount the older version you have.

 

Can't recall ever seeing a table with separate upgrade prices for each separate older version.

 

Pretty much every software I've seen has a single upgrade price.

 

Some companies even stop offering upgrade paths to older versions after some years, you can only update recent versions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sergio said:

I have 9 standard and the upgrade for 10 standard is $160. I don't think it's worth 'cause I can't see the big difference apart from some minor cosmetic changes. I have loads of 3rd part plugins, instruments and libraries so the Suite content also does not appeal me. The only thing I'd like to have is Max for Live and the recently added components to interface with modular gear via DC coupled interfaces. But even for that $342 is waaay too expensive 🙄

The only reason I would upgrade from 9 std to 10 std is that 10 now supports VST3 IIRC. I'm hoping that means that they handle plugins better. I don't plan on upgrading for the prices they're asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Anxiousmofo said:

What Sergio said.

Further, the fundamental issue is that, aside from being structured in an unfair way for loyal users, their offerings are intensely overpriced to begin with, and their sales are middling.  And they put most of their software development efforts into features for a companion hardware that costs another $799.

It's their business.  I just think they could have a LOT more business.

 

So:

 

1- Ableton is bad because they don't give better deals to older loyal users (users from older versions, like Live 1, as described by you in previous comments).

 

2- Ableton is bad because they charge too much.

 

So you claim if they lower the price, then the older users that paid Ableton, let's say $1500, will feel great about new users getting Suite for $200?

 

I find that very unlikely.

 

I think if they lower the price, users will simply perceive Live as less valuable, and the older users will feel betrayed at the sudden shift in pricing policy.

 

Lowers resale/trade value too, even Bitwig users that are trying to sell their old Live copy would be pissed.

 

Your advice for Ableton doesn't contemplate the existence of the numerous Ableton haters out there, that will certainly do their "best" to put the worst possible spin on such a price change.

 

They will claim you shouldn't buy Live because it will soon go out of business, they will claim Live is not worth even that, that Ableton is "evil" for charging the reduced pricing, much less the older price, etc. etc.

 

The more I think about it, the crazier a shift in price policies looks to me, considering how successful Ableton was in the last few years, despite the emergence of new competitors and the lowered prices older competitors are offering.

 

In fact, the whole point of my first comment is that this 30% sale is already a pretty big shift in policy for them, a rare over-25% sale.

 

The free Packs they offered are a rare shift in policy too: 

 

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/ideas-offers-making-music-home/

 

It is the first time I saw a 30% sale since I started watching for them, 6 years ago (when I got Live 9 Intro), their sales are always 20% or 25%, usually 20%, and the first time I've seen them giveaway a paid Pack.

 

(I paid for that Pack actually, also paid for most of the Max For Cats devices in the new free Pack, it is good stuff)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, pottering said:

Can't recall any software that gives a bigger discount the older version you have.

Well... what I was suggesting is the exact opposite of this: it would be fair to have a bigger discount the more you paid before (at least to a limit).

And I'm not saying that everyone does this but, IMO,  rather they should.

And just as an example: Steinberg does. I'm not,  again, saying it's the perfect model but, at least, the incremental values encourage upgrading.

And, of course, I always wait for sales or good release discounts when I can.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a lot of people hate Steinberg's upgrade policy.

 

Seems they charge more the older your version is, basically forcing you to keep upgrading as soon as possible.

 

I also read that the best case scenario is $50 per upgrade, and those are yearly.

 

So $250 over 5 years.

 

$250 being almost the same price as the Standard to Standard and Suite to Suite upgrades (well, those are actually $160  and $209 now).

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can just talk about my experience. I'm in the current versions of Cubase and Wavelab but I'm one version behind Ableton and two versions behind Arturia.

Also you can postpone upgrading Steinberg and get at least one 0.5 version for free (if the new features are not essential for your work, of course).

I started Live on version 9, so I'm a relatively new user. But I started Arturia on version 3 and I must have paid almost $600 to have my current version 5.

A newcomer can get V Collection for $250 during sales.  That's why I stopped upgrading until the new features worth the total amount I'll be paying.

BTW, I praise Live and V Collection. They are great products, IMO. I just can't keep the pace with those two companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, since Ableton prices are stable, the incentive already is to upgrade in the first sale you see.

 

You are not saving much money by waiting, even with this rare 30% sale. 

 

Suite 9 to Suite 10 was $239 on launch, it is $209 now, just $30 for 2+ years of waiting (the beta started in late 2017).

 

Standard 9 to Suite 10 was $249 on launch,  2+ years later the price is $342, that's $93 MORE (and that's with this 30% sale).

 

And if you skip this 30% sale, probably only 20%-25% sales after that (assuming things go back to normal after Covid19).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pottering said:

Standard 9 to Suite 10 was $249 on launch

 

 

 

In my recollection, that was a blink-of-an-eye offer that was quickly adjusted upwards.

I would pay $249 for that upgrade if I presently had that kind of $, but that is the most I would ever pay and it is still not market competitive when most other DAW's have offered 50% off at least once recently.

Anyway, enjoy your excellent value or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I probably won't upgrade to the Suite any more.   They threw in a wavetable synth. Nothing else was updated for the suite to justify the over $200+ upgrade.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Standard 9 to Suite 10 for $249 offer lasted months, it was valid during the whole beta (the closed and the open ones), and I think it lasted for some weeks after the launch too.

They did that  offer ("buy/upgrade Live 9 and get Live 10 upgrade free") so people didn't stop buying Live 9 during the beta, after the first news about Live 10 was announced, a flash sale would not work for that purpose.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyways, it is not only a Ableton 30% sale,  there is the Max For Live Pack I already mentioned (Stray Cats Collection), another Pack of sounds (Spectral Textures),  and for people that don't use Live there is a very good book (Making Music: 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers) in  .pdf, .mobi, and .epub formats.

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/ideas-offers-making-music-home/

That book is really good, recommend everybody gets it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...