Copying tracks from one project to another doesn't honor clip groups

Josh Wolfer

Pretty simple. I did some ADR over a weekend and used my laptop. Now I want to merge these tracks into my main project in my DAW. 

I select the tracks from the source project, copy special, go to my main project and paste special. 

Everything comes over (although track folders and colors aren't honored), but every clip now belongs to the same clip group regardless of track or comp take. Major pain in the bottom. I tried enabling ripple editing, no love. 

I tried saving the ADR project as a cwt and then insert tracks from template file and it inserts the tracks and folders and colors... but no audio clips! gah. Maybe there is a trick to saving template files with audio included?

Screenshots attached of the clip group duping.

2.PNG

1.PNG

I don't know if this is the way it is supposed to work or not and I have not tried this myself. However. would it work if you copied and pasted the two tracks that are grouped together separate from the other two? That is to say. could you copy and past the tracks that are in the same clip group(s)? It would take more back and forth but might be easier then re-assigning the clip groups?

I did try that and it still breaks the clip groups. 

The other clips are in comp take lanes. They are expanded in my screenshots. No matter I do, all the clips across all take lanes lose their original groups and get mashed together into a single clip group.

Try dragging and dropping the ADR project from file system  (or the browser) into your working project. I did a quick test, and it didn't preserve folders or track colors, but it did preserve multiple clip groups.

It also created a couple superfluous MIDI tracks (one named 'Matrix Data Track) which I seem to recall hearing about previously, but maybe wouldn't happen in a project with no MIDI. Not big deal to delete them, anyway.

Here is a video of the behavior. 

I tried dragging the project into another from windows explorer to a new project: 

Well.. look at that. That actually preserved the clip groups. Sweet. At least there is a workaround. That however did collapse all take lanes into a single. So it's almost as equally annoying :D

And on top of that, it looks like you can't click on the individual clips to select them and move them to another take lane. Man, what is going on lately with these annoying issues. I don't care to take another video to explain, but I hope bandlab sees these things and fixes it.