Overloud TH-U rig libraries, Choptones Fried Lilbox (Friedman Smallbox 50) and LRS Eddied EL34 (EVH 5150 III)

cclarry

I'm tapped out for Rigs.  Just picked up the Mesa Petrucci pack and then more show up.  Not sustainable.  At least with groups like STL, the presets for their ToneHub are named and known.  I'm also annoyed that the earlier Rig Libraries didn't include amp-only models that worked better with 3rd party IRs.

21 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

I'm also annoyed that the earlier Rig Libraries didn't include amp-only models that worked better with 3rd party IRs.

Not sure what you mean. It is possible to disable cab in any rig and use only amp part of it. 

I've been hearing various comments about having true separation between the amp and cab part of the modeling.  Some of the new Rigs come as "amp only" where you add your own IR to the signal chain.  I can only assume doing this purposefully is better/more accurate than disabling part of the pre-baked signal chain in rigs that are not natively separate? 

Edited by Marc Cormier

5 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Piotr was talking about discounted bundles. Hopefully, Overloud will finally consider offering them to their customers.

Yep, an I am still hoping they will understand having so limited market they need to do it anyway... :) 

Unless they plan to post free RIG player...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

hearing various comments about having true separation between the amp and cab part of the modeling. 

Marc, call me naive but I am not trying to listen to comments too much. Prefer to listen how it sounds and if I like it or not ;)
To be honest I don't really care if it is 100 knobs plugin monster with zylion options or kind of presetish driven plugin as long as its sound is what I like.

And as Alisa has mentioned it is no problem to turn RIG cab simulation off and use external one.

Also if you have full THU you can use Cabinet IR or any free external plugin in chain after it.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.3391d99a2a1e3cec9490999e976c2532.jpg

Edited by Piotr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

I've been hearing various comments about having true separation between the amp and cab part of the modeling.  Some of the new Rigs come as "amp only" where you add your own IR to the signal chain.  I can only assume doing this purposefully is better/more accurate than disabling part of the pre-baked signal chain in rigs that are not natively separate? 

They've not been very vocal about their Rig technology, but if I understand it correctly, Overloud and other TH-U Rig libraries developers measure the signal both before and after cab/mic setups. Thus users can disable either part and create their own chains. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the comments!  I've used OwnHammer and Redwirez IRs to modify the sound with varying degrees of success like you outline in your post, Piotr.  I find it helps smooth some of the harshness in presets I've made and in others it takes too much energy out of the sound so I keep the original cab in the Rig.  Like you mention, Soundwise, I'm just not sure if there's a better version of the Rigs for use with IRs since they're creating amp-only presets but maybe we'll get more clarity from Overloud along the way...

It's all about the sound and I find something good in each of the libraries thus far - but rarely as they're designed in the presets, especially for higher-gain sounds.