RME weirdness to share with fellow RME Users

Gswitz

Hey Gswitz, I care about what you say ! 

Just I found lately my RME stopped clicking when I changed from Spdif to AES/EBU....just using a different connector/cable solved it for me.

Edited by Sheens

would check the settings, maybe there's an offset somewhere or a clocking situation, or any other setting for the midi input that causes clicks.

would eve try the 'pdc' button on/off in Sonar.

just to rule out if it's just not too much 'workload' in a short timeframe that causes clicks, you could raise the sample buffer size. 

Edited by Sheens

This is not related to software glitches, i don't think.

I don't think this is cable related. I don't change cables when i turn off the midi device and the bug stops. I don't change cables with the gr20 plugged in and on and i turn off the inst setting in rme totalmix on the track.

I think this is a shielding issue... Or something to do with the power supply used for the inst that is somehow mixed up with the midi.

The clicks are in exact time with the blinking light on the rme ucx indicating midi traffic.

With regards to the suggestion that the issue may be power supply related; it could be some sort of "chassis shield" issue.

Is everything that you have interconnected referenced to the same ground connection at a single wall receptacle in a star ground configuration?

If so, an easy test to try would be to flip the polarity of the AC power plug for the Boss BRC power supply in your AC outlet. Just pull it out of the AC, flip it over, and shove it back in to see if the relative position of the Hot and "Neutral" somehow relates to the effective shielding of the GR-20 and its interconnections.

Edited by Abe Minah
  • Like 1

You nailed it. Reversing the plug for the Gr20 resolved the issue. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I'd ask how you new. I'm so grateful you did.

Your answer also explains how I went for years without ever hearing it. If I had a 50/50 shot of plugging it in such that it wasn't an issue, I might have not had a discoverable issue at least half the time. 🙂

Edited by Gswitz