Help! Recorded instruments don't line up with clicktrack/tempo AFTER being recorded.

DaveXmas

Question

Help! 

Am tracking guitars, while recording, its in time, no latency between hitting the note and what I'm hearing... when stop recording the track in out of sync with the overall tempo of the track and needs moving about etc... why does this happen?!?!? 

When i import audio like drums etc... linesup striaght in time with the click so why don't my guitars record and stay with the click after i press 'stop recording' button?!?! 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Am using HP pavillion, wins 8, Core i5, 8GB RAM , loads of HDD available, asio, focusrite Scarlett solo 2nd Gen, am not using any plugins, just straight in dry recording 

8 answers to this question

Hi DaveXmas and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Just a couple of questions to zero in on what the cause may be:

Where is your Mix setting on your interface (and, BTW, what interface are you using)?

What are your buffer settings set at?

I am guessing the your interface's mix setting is full on interface playback and no DAW playback.  That would allow you to hear your guitar without delay, but may be delayed in Cakewalk due to the buffer settings.

Kind regards,

tecknot

The tempo needs changing? Or the start position of the clip is off by a fixed amount? What interface and driver mode?

If it's a fixed offset of samples/milliseconds, and you're using ASIO driver mode, you probably just need to enter a Manual Offset in Preference > Audio > Driver Settings  to acount fo un-reported 'hidden' latency in the interface (not to be confused to 'Timing Offset' for MIDI in Preference > Audio > Sync and Caching).

If it's a whole measure, it's probably due to a problem with how Cakewalk reads sample position from the interface when metronome count-in enabled. This seems to happen with some interfaces. Often rebooting will fix it, but I've heard of cases where it's persistent. You might try a different driver mode.

If it's actually that the tempo of the recording drifts steadily away from the click over time...  I dunno. That would be very unusual.

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

The tempo needs changing? Or the start position of the clip is off by a fixed amount? What interface and driver mode?

If it's a fixed offset of samples/milliseconds, and you're using ASIO driver mode, you probably just need to enter a Manual Offset in Preference > Audio > Driver Settings  to acount fo un-reported 'hidden' latency in the interface (not to be confused to 'Timing Offset' for MIDI in Preference > Audio > Sync and Caching).

If it's a whole measure, it's probably due to a problem with how Cakewalk reads sample position from the interface when metronome count-in enabled. This seems to happen with some interfaces. Often rebooting will fix it, but I've heard of cases where it's persistent. You might try a different driver mode.

If it's actually that the tempo of the recording drifts steadily away from the click over time...  I dunno. That would be very unusual.

4 hours ago, tecknot said:

Hi DaveXmas and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Just a couple of questions to zero in on what the cause may be:

Where is your Mix setting on your interface (and, BTW, what interface are you using)?

What are your buffer settings set at?

I am guessing the your interface's mix setting is full on interface playback and no DAW playback.  That would allow you to hear your guitar without delay, but may be delayed in Cakewalk due to the buffer settings.

Kind regards,

tecknot

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett solo and Asio driver. Buffer size is 112 smps

The start postion of the clip goes off by a fixed amount after I stop the recordingprocess.

Start by measuring the actual Round-Trip Latency, using the free CEntrance Latency Tester:

https://centrance.com/downloads/ltu/

Then subtract the Total RTL reported in CbB from the CEntrance-measured RTL, and enter that as the Manual Offset.  A positive value (the usual case) adds compensation to make up for the part of the actual latency that isn't being reported to CbB by the driver. A negative number subtracts from the automatic compensation in the somewhat unusual case that the driver-reported value is over-compensating.

This will usually be less than 50 samples, so probably not  a primary contributor to your issue, but it's a good thing to do in any case.

P.S. CEntrance has since made made the utility available again at this new URL:

https://centrance.com/driverfolder/CE_LTU_37.zip

Edited by David Baay

22 hours ago, David Baay said:

Start by measuring the actual Round-Trip Latency, using the free CEntrance Latency Tester:

https://centrance.com/downloads/ltu/

Then subtract the Total RTL reported in CbB from the CEntrance-measured RTL, and enter that as the Manual Offset.  A positive value (the usual case) adds compensation to make up for the part of the actual latency that isn't being reported to CbB by the driver. A negative number subtracts from the automatic compensation in the somewhat unusual case that the driver-reported value is over-compensating.

This will usually be less than 50 samples, so probably not  a primary contributor to your issue, but it's a good thing to do in any case.

The link goes to an error 404, can you recommend any other LTU's?

Thanks for your time

Hmmm... looks like they've changed their URL recently, but the link for the latency tester at the bottom of the page is not working for me:

https://centrance.club/downloads/

If it doesn't work for you, either, PM me an e-mail address, and I can send you the utility. It's a standalone executable. No installation or licensing required.

P.S. CEntrance has since made made the utility available again at this new URL:

https://centrance.com/driverfolder/CE_LTU_37.zip

Edited by David Baay

20 hours ago, David Baay said:

Hmmm... looks like they've changed their URL recently, but the link for the latency tester at the bottom of the page is not working for me:

https://centrance.club/downloads/

If it doesn't work for you, either, PM me an e-mail address, and I can send you the utility. It's a standalone executable. No installation or licensing required.

There are other ways of measuring actual latency, but the utility is quick and accurate.

This link doesn't work for me either, so I'll PM you my email address