The Biggest Virus

marcL

It drives me crazy! All developers urge the users to use the newest versions of their software. The arguments are to prevent virus interaction, more stability, better experience, ... But my experience is completely different, especially with Windows 10 (but not only).

From the beginning I had difficulty to define my language preference in Windows 10: English display language and Swedish keyboard language. Finally, some updates ago I managed to define this only language combination without any others that can be activated accidentally. But now those Microsoft development bastards have changed it again! And I have found no way to remove the language combinations with English keyboard without losing the English display language! Are they really so stupid or do they have fun to plague their users? In many programs (that use a modern layout) the settings get more and more stupid, intransparent, incomplete and illogical. I just hope CbB does not go this way!

In any case the biggest virus to me is Windows 10, because it has stolen me so many hours with its problems and updates!

2 hours ago, RobertWS said:

I could list many things I find irksome about Microsoft and Windows but still....that is a weird combination.

Setting the display language to e.g. Swedish does not only affect Windows, but a lot of programs set their translation also to Swedish and believe me there is so much inventiveness in translation that you often don't have a clue what some words mean in the programs' context! 😟

But on the other hand if I have a Swedish hardware keyboard (in the laptop even built in), then I do not want to set English to my keyboard language, because it is a nightmare to find all the special charaters! 😰

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Are the Swedish black and white keys on a keyboard different than this?

image.png.307cd61a8b81d57b1a2fb0241fc42e9c.png

1 hour ago, marled said:

Yes, on my keyboard there are no letters at all! The keys are only white or black. 😝

That's not really Bapu's keyboard. His looks more like this...

NZaACBf.jpg

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2020 at 1:51 AM, marled said:

It drives me crazy! All developers urge the users to use the newest versions of their software. The arguments are to prevent virus interaction, more stability, better experience, ... But my experience is completely different, especially with Windows 10 (but not only).

From the beginning I had difficulty to define my language preference in Windows 10: English display language and Swedish keyboard language. Finally, some updates ago I managed to define this only language combination without any others that can be activated accidentally. But now those Microsoft development bastards have changed it again! And I have found no way to remove the language combinations with English keyboard without losing the English display language! Are they really so stupid or do they have fun to plague their users? In many programs (that use a modern layout) the settings get more and more stupid, intransparent, incomplete and illogical. I just hope CbB does not go this way!

In any case the biggest virus to me is Windows 10, because it has stolen me so many hours with its problems and updates!

I've been wrapping my ahead once again about the short lifespan and more or less planned obsolescence in the small computer world.   When I commented to a friend that I use a pair of Delta 1010s (which I did exclusively until recently) he acted like I am sending letters on papyrus scrolls instead of e-mailing,   and the card is slowly going obsolete just because  it gets harder and harder to find a PeeCee that will even have the old style PCI slot...at this point you have to build them.  So, what was a very expensive interface just a few years ago is on the tipping point of just being archaic junque.  And there is not a DAMN thing to complain about the card and breakout box itself - extremely low latency and uncolored sound from the signal chain.

The Mac world is frankly as bad or worse...a new OS version almost always removes functionality that the old one has, and the "improvements"  have not been IMHO. 

Someday, CbB will probably do something that will mean I'll either be dragged from the Win 7 world or be frozen forever on what the last Win 7 compatible version is.  And there I will remain.  I've been chewing on this as I am at a crossroads as whether to add a UA PCIe card for their LA-2A plugin - or just put a WA-2A in the rack. The big thing is that in 10 years, the WA-2A will still have value, and I can't even be sure that PCIe card will still even have any functionality, so I am really leaning that way.