Bus fader affecting wet-dry ratio of reverb sends

jonathan

Question

I am wondering how to go about routing instrument tracks to a bus without having the bus volume fader affect the wet/ dry mix of my reverb sends on the instrument tracks.

Example: I have a sampled drum kit divided into 5 instrument tracks—Kick, Snare, Toms, Overheads, Room. I have reverb sends on each drum track set to different levels. I route these tracks to a drum bus. I turn down the volume fader on the drum bus and the reverb sounds wetter as the dry signal is attenuated; I bring up the bus fader and it dries up the signal as the reverb gets buried in the source audio.

Of course one solution is to put the reverb send on the bus instead of the individual drum tracks, but then the reverb level will be the same for all kit pieces. As stated, I have different reverb send levels for each part of the drum kit—perhaps less reverb on the kick, more on the snare etc.

I’m guessing the answer is simple, but somehow it is one of the mixing rudiments that I have overlooked.

4 answers to this question

I have basically the same question, but I'm using my reverb bus for tracks other than just those that are being routed to the instrument bus, so I don't want the instrument bus to affect the reverb level of those other tracks. The only things I've come up with are grouping those instrument tracks, rather than routing them to a bus, or using two different reverb buses, one for the instrument tracks/bus and one for all the other tracks. Any other options you can think of? To me, it seems unintuitive that, so long as the reverb sends from the tracks being routed to the instrument bus are set to Post, the relative wet/dry balance wouldn't follow.

23 hours ago, Ben Chase said:

I have basically the same question, but I'm using my reverb bus for tracks other than just those that are being routed to the instrument bus, so I don't want the instrument bus to affect the reverb level of those other tracks. The only things I've come up with are grouping those instrument tracks, rather than routing them to a bus, or using two different reverb buses, one for the instrument tracks/bus and one for all the other tracks. Any other options you can think of? To me, it seems intuitive that, so long as the reverb sends from the tracks being routed to the instrument bus are set to Post, the relative wet/dry balance wouldn't follow.

I typically send all my instruments to instrument buses and all my FX (like Reverb, Delay, Exc) to FX buses. This way your Reverb send is only going to the Reverb FX bus (a bus dedicated for Reverb FX only). All instrument buses (tracks that are sent to a bus) are dry and have no FX, they are only used to control level of instruments going to that bus itself.

Is this the same way you set up your routing ?