Output, Input, Soft Synths, Channel Assingments LOST!!

Kyhotay

Question

I am losing the I/O, MIDI channel assignments, SoftSynths, etc... after I have saved and later revisited the project.  I am launching Cakewalk through BandAssistant.

Any help would be appreciated as a whole weekend of work just went down the drain!

Brian

3 answers to this question

MIDI port assignments can get messed if your USB MIDI devices aren't powered up before booting and/or launching Cakewalk or if they're moved to a different port on your PC. MIDI channel assignments should be stable.

Whatever you do, when a project comes up out of whack, don't re-save it.  Close without saving, and make sure all devices are present and accounted for in MIDI preferences.

If that's not it, you'll need to give a more detailed description of the problem, when it happens, and what hardware is involved.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, David Baay said:

MIDI port assignments can get messed if your USB MIDI devices aren't powered up before booting and/or launching Cakewalk or if they're moved to a different port on your PC. MIDI channel assignments should be stable.

Whatever you do, when a project comes up out of whack, don't re-save it.  Close without saving, and make sure all devices are present and accounted for in MIDI preferences.

If that's not it, you'll need to give a more detailed description of the problem, when it happens, and what hardware is involved.

Thanks for responding David.  While I don't use USB MIDI Devices, it did make me think of some other potential areas that might cause the problem.  I had exported the piece I wanted to record in Cakewalk as a MIDI exported file out of Finale.  I was saving all my changes as a MIDI file.  When I set up a few instruments in GPO and saved as a *.cwp all was right with the world.  I even shut down the computer to see if that would change things but it all behaved as it should.

Maybe now I'll be able to change the CC7 data to CC1 so I can get it to play nice with GPO!

Thanks again for your assistance,

Brian

That makes sense; MIDI files don't store I/O assignment information.

As you probably know, CCs are easily transformed using Process > Find/Change.  But you can also copy them directly from one controller lane to another in the controller pane of the PRV. You can even copy velocity to CC1, which is handy for GPO instruments that don't respond to velocity.