Awesome Brass

bitflipper

Now this is some awesome brass.  He took a lot of flack for being a pop guy.  Hey Jude is awesome.  I got to hear it live once ending with all screeching trumpets.  I've always wanted to play trumpet like him but I'm a low brass player.

BTW that War Pigs cover was awesome.  It wasn't the brass as much as the singer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I like their music a lot  and   I have been giving some of their various tunes a listen ... I have even forgotten at times that I'm socially distanced and somewhat isolated ...

Yes The guy in the back is funny ..he is just too cool ... his presence adds good vibes to the video  ...

Kenny

On the War Pigs tune, the drummer did not play any of the killer Bill Ward licks that make that song so incredible and memorable.  Oh well.

The dame singing Sweet Child... love her.  She just sits there, so maturely, with just a little beat movement in her body, and is great at her role.  The whole group is great.

Edited by Toddskins

Might I suggest, for brass beyond... 

This particular live version of "Artistry in Percussion" by the Stan Kenton Orchestra, has SO MUCH going on in it.  I just lose myself in all the things being presented - incredible timing, drumming, percussion, horns playing against horns, melody competing with 2 rhythms ... all at one time.  Stan loved to intertwine Latin stuff into his arrangements.

This drummer, John Von Ohlen, does us proud.

I don't personally think the high brass goes with the guitar in those Brass Against vids. The tuba would be ok. Musically their stuff isn't as complex as the older vids posted. Playing in unison with a guitar on the chorus. Sorry to be a stick in the mud here. Just doesn't work for me. Either play the brass and back off the guitar or leave the brass out when playing the guitar.  These guys work hard to get their tone right only to have brass playing over it. 

I do like the vox drums and percussion though. Maynard Ferguson was one of my heroes back in the day when I played trumpet. I could hit the "triple C" as we called it but not for long and it was tough. Maynard makes it look easy. Maybe it was easy for him. I didn't have a top notch horn like him. Those expensive horns were likely tuned to play those high notes easier using the right mouth piece. Always liked the piccolo trumpet or E trumpets never played one.

Edited by Starise