I Have Headphones!

bayoubill

6 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Beyerdynamics DT 990 (open back) for listening

Beyerdynamics DT 770 (closed back) for tracking

if I was only buying 1 set 770's...

t

I split the difference and bought the DT 880s. Love them. Great for long mixing sessions. I bought a cheaper set of closed-back Sennheiser's for tracking. If I'd have had the money at the time, I'd have bought a pair of 770s.

I don't know about the 770s and 990s, but the 880s are available in several loads (ohms/resistance). If you're planning on also using them with a phone, e.g., get a lower ohm rating (60 or less; 32 ohms is one common number). If you'll just be using them with an audio i/f or other device with a better headphone amp built-in, a higher ohm set, e.g., 250 ohms, works great.

I second the Beyerdynamics. Most comfortable headphone you're probably gonna find as they feel like you're wearing earmuffs.. they go completely around your ears instead of smashing up against your ears and have velvet/velour type padding and they're comfortable enough that you can forget you're wearing them. 

I track w/ Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 ohm (closed back) 

And mix w/ Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 ohm (semi open back) 

If you only got one of those I'd recommend the closed-back DT 770 Pro 250 ohm and I'd get it here as they have a 15% off sale right now and you can get a new set of DT 770 Pro 250 ohm for $127.49 w/ the discount shipped free (normally $149.99)

https://www.altomusic.com/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-headphones-250-ohms-repack-dt770pro250-c01#child_index=1612

I've bought some different ones, but use them rarely.

A $20 USD pair of Sony off-ear headphones with all the foam gone are my go-tos. They barely touch my ears. I can wear them for hours. I've been doing it for years.

One of the nicer pairs I give to guests is AKG K240 55 ohms. My ears just can't breathe enough for long wear with these.

Edited by Gswitz

16 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Depends what for. Tracking? Editing? Monitoring a live performance? Working out? Or just lying in the dark enjoying some herbal therapy?

I have separate cans for each of these. Except for the working out use case. Don't do that.

Mostly for editing

for editing I'd take AKG K712,  great mid and high freqs, you hear EVERYTHING there. but very little bass and by far not flat in freqs....they sit on my head meh.

imo Sennheiser HD600 is a better allrounder, more flat, a little more bass than the AKG and sit somewhat better on the head.

the HD650 to me sounded great too, but mine had a little 'funny' thing I thought, moved part the sound horizontally a little it seemed to me.

must try bananabread, never had it..

I use the open back Sennheiser 598's for mixing/editing because they are comfortable (velour pads, light clamping), have one cord and low impedance for my UR44. I can wear these all day. Also have the Toneboosters Morphit headphones correction software. Also have the Sennheiser HD380's that I use for vocal tracking, cut the cord so it's one straight one instead of the coiled cable. The isolation is reasonable on these and they are comfortable to wear. I also use the HD280's with the video camera outside because the isolation is so good but they are less comfortable, higher clamping force.  I don't know where to go from the 598's because I like the single cord and the 600's/650's have dual cords. The DT880 might be worth trying, the 250 ohm impedance might still be ok with the UR44 since I cant get the output volume above 10/11.00 o' clock with my  598's, way too loud.

Nobody cares what I say, but I don't really get it. I've tried lots of headphones and while there's a little difference, I'd have to be made of money to spend 4-5 hundred on a pair of headphones. Now my kid buys these $200 blue toothy things. I don't want blue toothy things. Once you add the wire, the price comes way way down and they sound great. If I really want to hear the music, I run it through speaks. 🙂 I jam along perfectly happy with earbuds to $50 headphones and feel very satisfied.

Now my next guitar, I think I'm going to spend like crazy on that. I'm taking jazz guitar lessons and everyone everyone is playing a Gibson. I was one of two strat players and the other one just quit the class. Very lonely.

Right now, I'm saving my pennies and adding fun stickers to my guitars to make them feel new.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

I care what you say !! (lulz)  But does your guitar HAVE to be a Gibson ?

If not, THEN you can REALLY save some money.

Vintage (Trevor Wilkinson) make proper guitars (and Gibson copies), in you situation I would get one of his SG (VS6) or ES (VSA 535)copies fe, and take it to a really great luthier.

The guitar will sound great, somewhat brighter than a Gibson, but you could even have a Gibson pickup installed to get that sound, heck even have all the wiring and electronic matched the Gibson AND save quite a bit.

For jazz, personally would expect a wider SG neck to be better, to me it looks like his ES model has more of a Les Paul neck. 

Just what I would do, while I like cheap guitars more I totally understand people wanting the real thing. 

Edited by Sheens

18 hours ago, bayoubill said:

Which headphones do you use and where can I get them? Quick while XX feels guilty for trying to steal my Becan!

"Trying" is my favorite part. No bacon was actually stolen. And you're still gonna get new cans out of the deal. Well done!

Any thoughts on Massdrop knock offs? I have not bought from them but they purport to be quality versions for less money. Anyone have experience?