Cakewalk hangs

Eve Ripper

Question

Sometimes it really frustrates when starting a project gets me into hanging DAW.

Today I’ve got this thing after just dragging my drum stem in project. 

Sometimes it hangs after recording few takes.

My laptop is https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05186952

my audio interface is Roland Duo Capture Ex UA22.

is there something I can do to save my work?

image.jpg

4 answers to this question

Your laptop specs are not good in my opinion. A 5200 RPM hard rive is below the minimum requirements and 4 gigs is below it also. this is why it hangs, it cannot handle the work-load.

To fix it: 

Get a dedicated hard drive for all your audio that spins at 72000 RPM and load more Ram into your laptop, if you can

Edited by CJ Jacobson

I agree with CJ Jacobson. Your specs are really in the lower range. I noticed with the latter CbB versions (around v24.7 or something after that audio stretch improvement thingy) system load got heavier ... I was on a i5/8GB/SSD system at the time. Now dead from fan failure, and I'm working on setting up a new laptop system. I will go for 16 GB of MEM to use with CbB.

I would recommend considering a SSD drive upgrade. I really brings new life to older systems. It's an easy switch, you just clone your existing drive and swap them ... then things work as before. Lots of benefits : Speed, Thermal issues, Elimination of risk of mechanical failure due to impact.

Also I seem to remember that for Win7/8 the optimal MEM size was around 8 GB, for Win10 I guess it could be 16 GB for things to flow smoothly.

11 hours ago, Eve Ripper said:

Ok, thanks. It’s time to change laptop.

It may not be necessary to replace the computer, if you can just swap out the slow hard drive for an SSD, and maybe bump the RAM to at least 8 GB.

After those upgrades, the main limiting factor on that laptop will be the CPU, as the clock speed maxes out at 2.0GHz. You will probably be OK with audio tracks, as they are not that CPU intensive by themselves, but that clock speed will limit the number of plugins you will be able to use.

Audio will mostly be dependent on hard drive throughput, and that is where an SSD will help.

So I would just try an SSD first and see how that works. If all else fails, you can always use it with another computer!  There are some great deals available for < $100 on 500GB SSD drives these days!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&amp;DEPA=0&amp;Order=BESTMATCH&amp;Description=500gb+ssd&amp;N=100011693 600038463&amp;isNodeId=1

Edited by abacab