How to easily find new plugins?

wunderbier

Question

I have custom plugin layouts and often worry that I'll forget to add a plugin to the appropriate folder if I've installed several at one time without writing them all down (or checking my downloads folder, leaving download tabs open, etc). In Reaper, newly scanned plugins showed up in their own 'new' section of the plugin list temporarily. Is there a way to filter plugins by date or only show new plugins? It's not an everyday problem obviously, but it's nice when I don't have to do extra work to thwart ADHD-induced mistakes.

9 answers to this question

1 minute ago, wunderbier said:

I'll keep that in mind. I do install every single VST to the same folder, so it would be easy in that regard. I'm looking at grabbing the Computer Music plugin bundle, but kinda sweating the idea of adding 90+ plugins at once. 😅 Thanks!

I usually install them in a folder with the company's name. Helps me keep track of them. Keep in mind that 32 bit, and 64 bit VST, and VST3 plugins go in different locations.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chappel said:

If there is no way to sort plugins by date in the program you can do it the old-fashioned way by opening the folder the plugins are actually installed in and sorting them by Date Modified.

I'll keep that in mind. I do install every single VST to the same folder, so it would be easy in that regard. I'm looking at grabbing the Computer Music plugin bundle, but kinda sweating the idea of adding 90+ plugins at once. 😅 Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Chappel said:

I usually install them in a folder with the company's name. Helps me keep track of them. Keep in mind that 32 bit, and 64 bit VST, and VST3 plugins go in different locations.

Is there a technical reason why those plugins should go in different places? I typically only install one version (starting with VST3 and working backwards if there are problems), but I put everything into the same C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns folder. I haven't encountered a problem so far (I think) regardless of plugin type.

4 minutes ago, wunderbier said:

Is there a technical reason why those plugins should go in different places? I typically only install one version (starting with VST3 and working backwards if there are problems), but I put everything into the same C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns folder. I haven't encountered a problem so far (I think) regardless of plugin type.

My understanding is that 32 bit VST2  go in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins)

64 bit VST2  go in the C:\Program Files directory (C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins)

and VST3 go in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 directory.

And some plugins will install to the Steinberg directory in either C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86) unless you change the destination folder during installation. Any sub-directory will do as long as it's added to the VST scan path.

That's how I've been doing it and everything works fine. If I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me.

2 hours ago, wunderbier said:

That's interresting.

So vst3 doesn't need to be installed in its own folder.

You avoid things being messy by never having double versions of vst. 👍

1 hour ago, Kurre said:

That's interresting.

So vst3 doesn't need to be installed in its own folder.

You avoid things being messy by never having double versions of vst. 👍

I'm way too disorganized to handle multiple folders thanks to the aforementioned ADHD. Cakewalk has it's own directory, which I haven't touched, but everything else related to my music goes into one folder (with subfolders and symbolic links to the Cakewalk and VST folders) in My Documents.

6 hours ago, wunderbier said:

The VST3 spec calls for

• 64bit VST3 plug-ins to go in  C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and
  • 32bit VST3 plug-ins to  go in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

While CbB will use VST3 plug-ins installed elsewhere some DAWs do not. Most manufacturers follow the VST3 and do not give the user an option for an alternate install path. It is a bad idea to install VST3 plug-ins outside of the specified path.

The VST2 spec is silent about where plug-ins should be installed. This lead to manufacturers using a variety of "default" locations. In general, VST2 plug-ins may be installed anywhere EXCEPT in the VST3 folders mentioned above.