New Audio Interface advice needed

I have had a bad experience with both my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Scarlett 18i20 and returned them both to Focusrite under warranty. They are sending me a brand new replacement Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen. Unfortunately, I am soured on them due to all of the BSODs I was getting from the FocusriteUSB Root driver. I was thinking of selling this new one and getting a 3rd Gen but again, I am not crazy about Focusrite at this point. Can anyone recommend a USB\USB-c Audio interface that has 8 ins and outs, similar to my unit. I dont use the digital ins and outs.  I was about to get the Steinberg UR816C or maybe the Steinberg UR44C 6x4. Anyone have any experience with these? There are so few reviews on them, I do not use TB or firewire anymore.  Any other suggestions? 

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

I tried a gen 2 Scarlett Solo and I kind of feel the same way, that the drivers were less than stellar, had lots of instabilities. I didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting so perhaps I'm judging unfairly but there ya go.

I replaced it with an Audient ID22, which I adore.  It operates flawlessly on Windows 10, sounds wonderful, and it has the ability to take use my MOTU 8pre's inputs as well. Some illuminating threads on gearslutz about using the ID22 with the Behringer ADA 8200. Maybe not what you were thinking of, but it's an idea.

Thanks. Will look into it. I just found out that Focusrite screwed up my replacement unit.  My Scarlett was scheduled to be delivered to them today and then suddenly, it is on its way back to me because of the address. I simply printed out their own shipping label. SO, this will delay me another week or so. I have been without an audio interface for nearly two weeks already, So frustrating, This is after they had the wrong RMA and were going to ship me a totally different product. I am definitely done with these guys.

It depends upon how much you want to spend.  Lynx is a great unit but expensive.  I’m using an audient id44 now, which is everything you’d want, except is a 4x4 adda unit with digital expansion.  The only modern 8 adds unit I’ve used is the Roland.  It is a solid, good sounding unit.  

Money isn’t an issue but I don’t want more than I need, I want to keep it somewhat simple so I would never need more than 4 ins at a time (and only if I were transferring original 4 track tap3) and 2 out. I went for the Steinberg UR44C because I wanted to go with usb 3.1 for faster speed. I didn’t realize that the Scarlett 3rd gen usb c is still using usb 2.0. I also noticed that Amazon can’t deliver for 2 -3 weeks. Sam Ash says it is in stock and will ship immediately. I’ll give it a try and if it isn’t stable, will look at one of the suggestions above. Thanks. 

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

I have an RME UCX which I love.

I got a RME Quad Mic Pre seen here to go with it. That gives me 8 channels in 1u when I slip it out of the rack (which I don't do anymore. 🙂 ).

Linked with the Audient ASP 880 I get 16 channels. It's a good interface to grow with.

https://www.juno.co.uk/labels/Rme/ 

This site sells it sometimes for a good price. Also, they have an RME UC (which doesn't have the FX). I definitely use the FX a lot and would not trade my UCX for a UC for lest than the cost of a UCX. 🙂 

265866135_20191201_2208003.jpg.493265f73

• Great Idea 1

I like my presonus 1824 USB.  They have a USB c version but it is really just an interface thing, and nothing to do with performance.  It is usb2 whichever way you go, so you night be able to  find  A deal on the regular 1824 model.

If you want to spring for and have the interface available, you could look at their quantum line which have ultra low latency but need a thunderbolt interface.

I haven't had any crashes with mine at all.  It seems pretty stable here in both cakewalk and studio one and the latency on my system is quite usable.  Not going to quite numbers because they offer present more questions than answers ;)