Hiccup spikes in performance

Skeptik

I have my studio mostly setup and running again and I'm opening old projects and looking through them  for nostalgia sake and mostly everything is fine, except that every 15 seconds or so, I get a "spike" in the audio and I see the performance meter "red line" for a second and then everything goes back to normal.  I don't understand why.  It can't be my system specs because I've never had this issue before on less powerful pc's using the same software.  I'm also getting a "gargling" sound from some of my older plugins, I set the memory allocation to automatic to help the struggle, that used to fix it but it doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore.  My pc specs are .

i9-9900K oc @ 5.0

RTX 2080-ti 

32GB 3,000 MHz RAM

Win 10

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre-USB

Clarett OctoPre 8

I have the same specs to some degree (i9-9900KF, 32GB RAM. Win 10) and haven’t had any of those issues.

i just finished building it a few weeks ago and have been amazed by its speed.  The boot drive is an M2 (also contains Sonar) and most of my samples (a LOT of Superior Drummer stuff) are on another M2.

Are you using an HDD or SSD/M2 ?

3 hours ago, Skeptik said:

It can't be my system specs because I've never had this issue before on less powerful pc's using the same software. 

If the PC is new,  high specs alone don't guarantee smooth audio streaming.  Have you checked DPC latency and done the basic tweaks to prevent CPU throttling and DPC spikes (Disable SpeedStep,  C-States, Bluetooth and WiFi adapters in BIOS and set Power Managment to High Performance)?

16 hours ago, Greg Wynn said:

I have the same specs to some degree (i9-9900KF, 32GB RAM. Win 10) and haven’t had any of those issues.

i just finished building it a few weeks ago and have been amazed by its speed.  The boot drive is an M2 (also contains Sonar) and most of my samples (a LOT of Superior Drummer stuff) are on another M2.

Are you using an HDD or SSD/M2 ?

Sorry, I forgot to mention my HD's.  I have two 1TB NVME M.2 SSD's 

6 hours ago, Jon White said:

Many DAWs don't have these problems.

The same DAW on my system doesn't have these problems, so what's your point?  The only way to isolate what's causing them on HIS system is to troubleshoot (Which is why everyone else is offering HELPFUL suggestions)...

15 hours ago, JonD said:

The same DAW on my system doesn't have these problems, so what's your point?  The only way to isolate what's causing them on HIS system is to troubleshoot (Which is why everyone else is offering HELPFUL suggestions)...

My point is that Cakewalk seems rather plagued with these issues, compared to the other ones I've used routinely (and used so that I can get projects done with high surety of stabiity).  That's my point.  It's an objective reflection on functionality, and if we can't express these experiences, we will be in the land of illusion.  Cakewalk has stability issues in my experience (I've used it since 1988 under MS-DOS), and seems to also not do audio as well (stability and glitch-wise) as many mainstream DAWs.

Maybe my comment IS helpful, in that it may add to one's collection of input regarding DAW performance.

• Meh 1