Problems with VSTscan.exe

Every time I start Cakewalk, I got an error VSTSCAN.EXE not working.

Any thoughts ?

Running on Windows 7 Professionnel, hp , intel CORE i5 VPro, 2,6 GHz,  8 gigs Ram,  64 bits.  (post updated)

Here is the description :

Signature du problème :
  Nom d’événement de problème:    BEX64
  Nom de l’application:    VstScan.exe
  Version de l’application:    6.0.2.0
  Horodatage de l’application:    5e02bb53
  Nom du module par défaut:    VstScan.exe
  Version du module par défaut:    6.0.2.0
  Horodateur du module par défaut:    5e02bb53
  Décalage de l’exception:    0000000000025cc3
  Code de l’exception:    c0000409
  Données d’exception:    0000000000000000
  Version du système:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Identificateur de paramètres régionaux:    3084
  Information supplémentaire n° 1:    20df
  Information supplémentaire n° 2:    20df79cfbc4b646ccd658ba5aa1a89af
  Information supplémentaire n° 3:    9c54
  Information supplémentaire n° 4:    9c540f0e2866ca137f8e80400dc6a0c6

Thanks

Edited by David Bellemare

I also did a quick check on the BEX64 error - in general terms, and one thought was to change the failing application's Properties, to set the compatability-mode for Windows 7.

Here is a link to that page - might be worth a try.  VstScan.exe normally lives at: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities, right-click on it and go to Properties, and set the Comptability-Mode for running in Windows 7, and give it a shot.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/225540/discussions/0/487876568239148234/

Bob Bone

• Like 1

I have to make a fairly long phone call, so apologies for having to post this without opportunity to review the results. 

You can also take a look at some of the results from a Google search on the following terms:

VSTSCAN bex64

Perhaps one of those results holds an answer for you.

Bob Bone

On 4/3/2020 at 8:13 PM, Robert Bone said:

I also did a quick check on the BEX64 error - in general terms, and one thought was to change the failing application's Properties, to set the compatability-mode for Windows 7.

Here is a link to that page - might be worth a try.  VstScan.exe normally lives at: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities, right-click on it and go to Properties, and set the Comptability-Mode for running in Windows 7, and give it a shot.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/225540/discussions/0/487876568239148234/

Bob Bone

I tried it but it didn't do any difference

• 1 month later...

always the same problem with vstscan. I emailed with assistance and did what they asked me for, uninstalled Cakewalk, editing reg, deleting some keys, reinstalled and doen't wotk anymore.

I know I have some older vstscan instaled, with Sonar , but that shouldn't do that.

I reinstalled my virtual mellotron and did'nt work either...

Looks like it stays with the first scan versions it did before the problem happened.

I see in your earlier post in this thread, that you are/were running VstScan.exe version 6.0.2.0, I have 6.0.3.0 on my system.  Are you still running version 6.0.2.0?

Also, from what I gather, VstScan may be fighting with some other app that is running at the same time.  Can you please list all apps running, as well as the background ones you see down in the Windows System Tray area of your desktop screen?  (there is likely a little arrow pointing up, next to the little speaker icon down by the data and time in the bottom right part of the task bar, and if you click on that little arrow, it will expand to show you little icons for the background tasks that are running, like your antivirus software, perhaps NVIDIA settings, etc., )

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

The VstScan.exe program should be in the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities folder.

Can you please go into Control Panel, and take some screen shots of the various Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable libraries you have installed on your system?  I am wondering if there are some missing, perhaps.

Here is a partial list of the ones I have, so if you could grab screen shots of yours and post them in this thread, I can try to figure out if you are missing any:

image.thumb.png.8fab5ad7f9dd6d93210b602d34961f4e.png

5 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

The VstScan.exe program should be in the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities folder

This is true unless

• the install was forced onto a non-system driver
  • the OP has managed to installed SONAR and CbB on different drives

The former is OK as long as all Cakewalk DAWs and CbB are on the same driver

The later is almost guaranteed to be a problem

On 5/15/2020 at 6:39 AM, scook said:

This is true unless

• the install was forced onto a non-system driver
  • the OP has managed to installed SONAR and CbB on different drives

The former is OK as long as all Cakewalk DAWs and CbB are on the same driver

The later is almost guaranteed to be a problem

I am a bit confused by the above - as no matter what drive Sonar and CbB are installed on, don't both programs set the Registry parameter for VSTScanPath to point to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\VstScan.exe? 

No, versions of SONAR and CbB store the location of the scanner in VSTScanPath in different locations the registry.

For Example:

• CbB uses HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST
  • SONAR Platinum uses HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR\Cakewalk VST
  • SONAR Producer uses HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\Cakewalk VST

The default path for the scanner is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\VstScan.exe for 64bit DAWs but it is installed in a shared utilities folder at the same level with the DAW program folder on the drive were the DAW is installed.

There are registry entries shared by ALL versions of SONAR and CbB and this is where the trouble starts if the DAWs are all not installed on the same drive.

• Like 1

While installing on a non-system drive is allowed and there may be multiple versions installed; installing multiple versions on multiple drives is not allowed.

The installers are suppose to prevent this but I have seen cases where a couple of versions were installed on different drives and it causes some strange problems.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My VSTScan.exe has been corrupted.

Can anyone send me a working copy (hopefully from the latest version of Cakewalk).

While you are at it, perhaps include: VSTScan.exe.config

Thanks!  I can't get cakewalk to start up - just begins with the center black logo, then an empty frame with some controls on the top, and then it shuts down.