Amp sim sounds bad on playback

kjs00333

Hello all,

I just started using band lab and I'm having an issue with playback using a VST plugin - BIAS FX 2.  When I play my guitar using the BIAS FX 2 stand alone version for windows, it sounds great. Thick and full and all around great sound.  When I track using the VST plugin, the play back sounds weak and definitely not the same quality of sound I'm getting when playing live through the stand alone.  My interface is a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 and I am NOT using input monitoring of any kind. The switch is in the off position.  I do use input monitoring through Bandlab on the track that has the VST plugin enabled and it still sounds a bit weak.   I am using ASIO driver.  Is there any type of setting I'm missing that the sounds would be so different?  I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  This is not only happening with BIAS FX 2, but also other guitar sim programs that sound excellent as stand alone applications, but horrible as VSTs.    Any help is appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Lynn said:

Is your echo input turned on?  It must be on or you won't hear the effect in real time.  That's all I can  think of.

If you're talking about input echo (input monitoring) being enabled while tracking, then yes it's on.  That's how I can hear the output of BIAS FX.   Playback of these tracks does not sound the same as when they are going in, which is my problem.  Input echo should have no bearing on that. 

Edited by kjs00333

I wonder whether the signal, driving the VST plugin, is lower than the signal driving the stand-alone version.  Ideally, the signals would be the same level.  Does the stand-alone version have an input gain control which is affecting levels?

You could experiment by increasing the track signal level using the 'gain' knob at the top of the channel strip (after recording).  Alternatively,  the track signal level can be changed using  the menu "Process > Apply Effect > Gain".   

I don't have the BIAS amp sim and can't test the above suggestions.  

I've been using BiasFx  VST a couple of years now and never had any issues. Are you using the same preset in both standalone and VST? Same gain? Recorded clip also sounding bad? Track interleave set to stereo?  Do you have 'direct out' selected in BiasFx output settings?

I can't think of much else. Maybe you could describe further what you mean by weak.