Does it make you a little bit uncomfortable?

Reid Rosefelt

Using the current events for an angle to sell a product doesn't surprise me.  Some offers are "dual purpose" in that they really do offer us something we might like while referring to the virus in various ways..

Everything we see mostly has some kind of marketing embedded into it, at least here in the US it's that way. There's Black Friday sale, Labor Day Sale, on and on it goes. There is the -You have this product and for a a limited time you can upgrade to the next version of it for this much $$. As distasteful as it is , if there had been a Tsunami hit California...some insensitive marketer would be having a "ride the wave" sale. Of course no one in California would be buying any of it.  I feel insensitive in even saying it but I know someone would probably go for it.

This is a bit different since we have so many people at home now. It's really a GREAT opportunity to market. What better way to do it than download a copy of Cubase  or Ableton and play around with it.  Five years from now some kid will be saying, "Yeah, when I was off of school I downloaded a 90 Days free copy of Brand **** DAW and that's how I learned this. It makes a much better option than deciding to go out and see what trouble we can get into...,.but yeah. It's marketing. Seems just about everything is marketing nowadays.

Seems there's a product solution for every problem known to man. 

a98258_butt-crack_2-duct-tape.jpg

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

The reason I think it's okay to post it here is because this is the place where all these offers are posted.  Larry, if you want to take it down, that's fine with me.

But I don't go to any of the other Cakewalk forums.  You are the people I know.

Maybe if you aren't living in a place like my town, New York City, and hadn't already lost two friends to it already, as  I have, you might see it differently.  But I know that  many of you can feel what I'm saying, even if you haven't lost a friend yet.  And I sure hope you don't, because it is terrible.

But this page is a piece of heaven, a safe place.   I love that people are coming out with new products and having sales. I love coming here.  It's a distraction. It's a relief.  

Here I  don't want to hear about the Coronavirus at all.  I really don't.  And I don't want to get these emails every day.  That's on me. 

But if companies are going to bring it up, then I have my opinion and I've stated it, and I'm done.   

Bring on the deals!  😀  Saying safe means staying mentally safe too. 

This wasn't really so much an offer. Most people in the deals section also participate in the other part of the coffee house.  I think it's also a courtesy to check out other parts of bandlab.  They didn't owe us a deals forum and they did it as a courtesy.   If I were a mod it would be moved to the appropriate place.  While this website has a low membership it could easily be abused with more members.   I doubt this would have been invisible if it were in the appropriate place. 

It's a distraction all right.  With the current situation I may have to learn contentment.  I wish I had the discipline to blow if off for a week.  It doesn't stop there.  There's also KVR's Bargain Center Gossip. I go there first.  Then there is VI-Control and I've been easily influenced more than here.  10 years ago I would have forked out $$$ for something like Hans Zimmer strings and it's a hobby.   I always find your opinions quite valuable.  There are some on this forum I would call a doubting Thomas and read those as well.   I never fail to read your posts on here and VI.

I'm with. I'm tired of the doom and gloom.  On a side note my attitude was humbled last week when I got a call from my brother who photographed a wedding the weekend before and one of the bride's maids came down with a fever.  We had a family dinner that day.  I wasn't scared for me but my mom. Luckily it was a false alarm.  I had a college classmate die from it but he had major health issues from a liver transplant.   I'm trying to limit myself to FB for 15 minutes a day and start messing with my scores from the deals section. 

Sad as it is I have Syntoral and I have to start over because I've blown it off. 

I could make a never ending list of is it wrong to have _______ and not use it.

I made a thread in the coffee house about new goals in music production because off current conditions.  Bad habits seem to die hard though. 

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

6 hours ago, Starise said:

Using the current events for an angle to sell a product doesn't surprise me.  Some offers are "dual purpose" in that they really do offer us something we might like while referring to the virus in various ways..

Everything we see mostly has some kind of marketing embedded into it, at least here in the US it's that way. There's Black Friday sale, Labor Day Sale, on and on it goes. There is the -You have this product and for a a limited time you can upgrade to the next version of it for this much $$. As distasteful as it is , if there had been a Tsunami hit California...some insensitive marketer would be having a "ride the wave" sale. Of course no one in California would be buying any of it.  I feel insensitive in even saying it but I know someone would probably go for it.

This is a bit different since we have so many people at home now. It's really a GREAT opportunity to market. What better way to do it than download a copy of Cubase  or Ableton and play around with it.  Five years from now some kid will be saying, "Yeah, when I was off of school I downloaded a 90 Days free copy of Brand **** DAW and that's how I learned this. It makes a much better option than deciding to go out and see what trouble we can get into...,.but yeah. It's marketing. Seems just about everything is marketing nowadays.

Seems there's a product solution for every problem known to man. 

a98258_butt-crack_2-duct-tape.jpg

Every developer outside the US markets to Americans.  We have the most money.  The only one that doesn't honor BF is Image Line.  Their response is we're in Belgium.   I wanna know is where on earth did you find that picture and what does one put in a search to get such thing? The ultimate plumbers butt?

The idea "behind" the pic goes back several years on the forum. I just found it roving around on Google :) Someone put up a pic of a product called Crack Spackle on the old CW forum. I actually found the video for it. 

Marketeers capitalizing on any situation was what gave me the thought. I mean you can find almost anything put there now to fill a perceived need.  The plug in guys really don't need to market to me, just lower the price and if I like it and can afford it, I'l probably buy it.

• Haha 3

We gave 30 JamPoints if anybody was making purchases anyway, to defray cost for those folks.  Otherwise, we realized we had just released 4GB+ of free sound content (not a demo) and have free versions of our flagship software products for guitar/bass, mixing/mastering, etc that have gear to be able to make music completely free during this time.   Having our headquarters in Italy made this hit home really hard and fast and we're definitely not taking it lightly nor trying to profit off of a crisis by any means.  

We give a realistic status via this news item on our site as well as what free software people can use while they are stuck inside.  We also live stream daily and we field questions about how to live stream for those who are trying to stay making their living with music whilst their gigs, lessons, recording at a studio, etc are cancelled.  We do have a surge of interest in our iRig Stream and such because tools like iRig Stream do help people give lessons and stream their music online but that surge was organic and not having to do with anything we would ever do to exploit such a situation that has hit us very hard (and I know it has hit everybody hard - just imagine the worry we had when Italy's cases and deaths grew multiple times over one weekend, worry for our friends and families... and then it just continued to get worse across the world - that's not the kind of "we are not alone" that we want to see we want to see things get better).    Honestly, the streams are also a nice diversion and it is nice to see some of the artist guests talk to fans while they can't do so directly on tours etc.

Of course my colleagues and I want to stay in business and that will be challenging for just about everybody on our planet at this point, we enjoy what we do and want to keep doing it but also want everybody including our friends, family, IK users, any human beings and creatures of all sorts to pull through this with their health and livelihood intact.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

TBH, Ableton's 90 day Suite trial is fairly generous. And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't really like Live all that much.

Steingberg is also offering a... not-quite-as-generous trial of 60 days. But they offer a bunch of products.

This is a fairly good opportunity for a lot of younger people to use their free time to learn a new skill.

Edited by Cristian
  • Like 1