Does it make you a little bit uncomfortable?

Reid Rosefelt

How some companies are kinda using this calamity as a marketing opportunity?   It's a very thin line.

I mean... you want to give something to people--then really give them something.  Lose some money to help musicians.   Maybe a credit like IK so they can buy something they actually want.  Not something they don't want or already have. 

But a temporary demo?  I don't know.  You should ALWAYS make that available. 

Probably the best response I've seen so far was Fluffy Audio, where they totally gave us that piano. free.  They didn't take a cent for it. They just used that gift to appeal to our best selves and donate.  I'd like to see more like that. 

• Like 8
  • Great Idea 1

Completely agree Reid.   I   also like what Fluffy Audio  has done  and  actually  give   the   generated money    to the cause. ....while yet,   giving   something  'solid'   to the   musicians.         

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

How some companies are kinda using this calamity as a marketing opportunity?   It's a very thin line.

I mean... you want to give something to people--then really give them something.  Lose some money to help musicians.   Maybe a credit like IK so they can buy something they actually want.  Not something they don't want or already have. 

But a temporary demo?  I don't know.  You should ALWAYS make that available. 

Probably the best response I've seen so far was Fluffy Audio, where they totally gave us that piano. free.  They didn't take a cent for it. They just used that gift to appeal to our best selves and donate.  I'd like to see more like that. 

Wasn't IKs credit only good for up to 30 % of the purchase price?

I agree also, but I can also see their side...they are losing money too...losing lots of sales.
While an act of kindness will always be well received, some just aren't able...and I understand
that also.  You don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater!

• Like 6

Does it make you uncomfortable how people are "using this calamity" to expect freebies?

Jokes aside, altruism should be an individual choice. To me, demanding altruism from someone else doesn't sound right. Just take the freebies that you like and thank the giver for it (and cclarry et al. for spreading the word), then tune out those you don't care for.

Even if it doesn't have value for you, don't underestimate the value of an extended demo for others. For some people unable to go to their workplace, having easier options to set up temporary replacement systems at home can bring plenty of value.

(and if anybody is curious - no, I don't work for a music software company, this post is not a defense of my employer)

• Like 6

Full disclosure: I work in advertising, so I'm getting an inside view of how the current pandemic situation is affecting various sectors and industries. It's a genuinely terrifying time, and a lot of money is going to be lost -- which doesn't just affect the corporate bottom line, but also the lives of the employees who depend on those industries for their income. In the case of the marketing opportunities that crop up in a time of crises, it's a very difficult set of decisions that the business world in general will have to confront, and some really choppy waters to navigate: they are watching their markets collapse (or drastically change as people transition to working from home and alter their shopping and buying patterns); they are watching their earning projections and marketing plans become basically meaningless overnight, and with so much chaos they have no real idea what tomorrow or next week will hold; and they are trying very hard to minimize the impact this will have on their employees and customers. And so they are trying to find what positive side they can to this crises. I personally have no problem if a company tries to flow with the times and get through this with minimal damage, as long as what they do isn't exploitative. And by exploitative, I mean things like price gouging, tasteless advertising that makes light of the crises, product or service offerings that have too many strings attached or are offered as a generous bonus for the times but in reality are merely old deals in new clothing, etc. Folks like Fluffy Audio giving away things for free and/or redirecting money to a worthy cause is great, and they set a wonderful example and deserve credit for it. But Folks like Steinberg offering fully functional versions of their products for two months free, with no strings attached, doesn't bother me either. I believe their normal demo time is 30 days? They don't have to do anything at all, and if they can give folks something to use for a little while and NOT lose money in the process, I have no issue with that. Part of their reasoning, I'm sure, is they want to give folks exposure to their products -- you use Dorico Elements for two months, and love it so much you decide to pay for it. Good for you, great for them. That doesn't bother me, either. They are not forcing anyone to do anything, and selling their products is their business and the only reason they exist, and in the end everybody gets something. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, as long as they are not exploiting anyone or anything to achieve it.

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

I would prefer this be in the coffee house instead of coffee house deals.   Maybe it's time for those who subscribe to bandlab stop thinking that Deals is the only place to post things because no one bothers to read anything else.  

I'd say this has brought me to some level of contentment.  I have no income and I guess this is what it takes.   It starts to make me regret all of the stuff I put on credit.

• Like 3

I get why they are doing the temporary demos. A lot of companies are trying to give people something to do while everyone is on lockdown and hopefully eventually make customers out of them so it's part out of kindness and part advertising. I'm not too bothered by all the sales. They need to get them in while they can because a lot of people won't have the money for when typical spring and summer sales will happen this year, either.

• Like 2

I like the offers and temp demos. They help keep me distracted. And I see a bit more than I would otherwise.

Music software companies are probably thinly capitalised so it would be better if we can keep these firms can keep afloat until society can reboot from the human malware.

@Reid Rosefelt is a guru on offers so we should also respect his views here.

Edited by synthmeister
  • Like 1

The reason I think it's okay to post it here is because this is the place where all these offers are posted.  Larry, if you want to take it down, that's fine with me.

But I don't go to any of the other Cakewalk forums.  You are the people I know.

Maybe if you aren't living in a place like my town, New York City, and hadn't already lost two friends to it already, as  I have, you might see it differently.  But I know that  many of you can feel what I'm saying, even if you haven't lost a friend yet.  And I sure hope you don't, because it is terrible.

But this page is a piece of heaven, a safe place.   I love that people are coming out with new products and having sales. I love coming here.  It's a distraction. It's a relief.  

Here I  don't want to hear about the Coronavirus at all.  I really don't.  And I don't want to get these emails every day.  That's on me. 

But if companies are going to bring it up, then I have my opinion and I've stated it, and I'm done.   

Bring on the deals!  😀  Saying safe means staying mentally safe too. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I thought the Drums On Demand product giveaway was thoughtful and generous.  At first only mailing list subscribers were included in the giveaway but the next day they opened the giveaway to everyone.  I was able to purchase a $60 US song construction kit (multi instrument loop package) for $10 US.  Unfortunately it seems their generosity was abused by some people downloading multiple selections.  What is it they say, "No good deed goes unpunished".

Years ago Drums On Demand provided Cakewalk with a sample song construction kit for distribution with Music Creator.  That is how I became aware of Drums On Demand and their loop packages.  I've always wanted a complete package to play with and now I have one.

• Like 1

I've been this >< close to asking the same question several times this week because some of it does come across as being a bit distasteful to me. Freebies are one thing and can be taken as a "maybe you'll remember us when it's over type thing", but pushing discounts for (whisper it quietly) - things that people don't really need - given that in some cases it's hard to get some things that you do really need is questionable. That said, as always, nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head so if people are daft enough to buy something they don't need that they can't really afford then whose fault is that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Very much agree.  I wish Ableton would take this opportunity to, for once, provide existing Standard users with meaningful discounts.

Ableton didn't do any marketing, they only rose the trial time discreetly.

Doing a sale would be exactly what OP complains about, using a calamity as a marketing opportunity.

Anyhow, I don't think people should be overthinking the motivations for the sales.

I did see a couple sales with somewhat insensitive wording, but I would file that under just "laziness",  and just assume people simply used the same wording they always use for sales, forgetting the circumstances, which is a bit dumb. but not malicious.

Edited by pottering