Docked Plugins

Michael Warren

I may be missing a setting somewhere, but when I mnimize several screens, hovering over the minimized tab does not show name or thumbnail. My os is w10 pro 64 bit. I usually end up wasting a lot of time opening a tab, then closing since it’s not the one I want to focus on. That’s in c by b. In a normal windows desktop, hovering a mouse over minimizes tab shows a thumbnail and app name. Any suggestions on how I could work around this?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Warren

On 4/2/2020 at 9:06 AM, Michael Warren said:

. . . when I mnimize several screens, hovering over the minimized tab does not show name or thumbnail.

4 hours ago, tecknot said:

Do you have show tooltips on? That should give you a pop-up with the name of the plug-in and the track it's on.

I am not sure what "several screens" means, but I often minimize soft synths.  They then show up as minimized window icons in the lower left corner of my main Cakewalk desktop. In Cakewalk I have ToolTips on.  Hovering over the minimized FX window icons does not display any information about the soft synths.  

If I click on the overlapping boxes on the left side of a minimized window icon, it will restore a soft synth. If I click on an X (right side), it closes just as if I Xed out the soft synth itself.  If I right-click on the left side or the center, I get some options, but no information indicating which soft synth is which. I get the same options when I click on the "FX" box to the left of the overlapping boxes.

Minimized soft synths:    image.png.b3b1caa713fe7152131d51a05002eb1b.png    Right-click options:    image.png.49353d2da988d44b6965aae4ba3527c1.png

In Windows [10], if I hover over the Cakewalk icon on the task bar, I get a miniature version of my Cakewalk project.

image.png.89e15a80039e981e7ddf92d9390e4ccc.png

If I hover over the mini-project tool tip, I see the soft synths superimposed on my monitors where they would be restored.  There is no indication of which minimized icon window belongs to which soft synth. When I stop hovering, the "pop-ups" disappear.

I am used to restoring and minimizing the plug-ins one by one to find the one I am looking for, but I generally have less than a handful minimized.  I can understand that if someone has more, it can be extremely frustrating.

To be clear, at no point when I just ran though this step-by-step to write this up did I see "a pop-up with the name of the plug-in and the track it's on."  If there is a setting I can change to make that happen, I would like that.   Thanks for any other help you (or any one else) can offer.

Edited by User 905133

For now, instead of using Windows minimize try docking plug-ins in Multidock.

Docked effects have a tab with the plug-in name and track hosting the plug-in.

Docked synths have a tab using the name from the synth rack.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

46 minutes ago, scook said:

Good suggestion!! I tried this before and decided for the 3-5 soft synths I usually have, I can keep track of them by the order in which they were minimized.  Also, with a second monitor, it has become second nature to just slide them around as needed rather than minimizing them.

However, I just tried it again with a one-monitor Workspace and then floated the Multidock.  That is definitely be useful to me if I get back into piling up soft synths.

That being said, this past week, I started to get back into working with hardware sound modules. Of course, if I start routing them individually though through soft synths-as-FX, having them in a single multidock with tabs would be very convenient.  And it works well with Track View on Monitor 1 (full screen), Console on Monitor 2 (full screen), and using "D" to show/hide the soft synths in the Multidock as needed.

Thanks! 

11 hours ago, scook said:

This is a nice feature which would be even better if the tabs could be re-ordered

I think I have mentioned this before but the MultiDock is a bit under appreciated and could be made even more powerful.  i.e. 

Tabs able to show more than one plugin.. Imagine if you could see all the plugins from one track / buss in a tab for example with all controls accessible from one place.

46 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

if you could see all the plugins from one track / buss in a tab for example with all controls accessible from one place.

It is almost there if one converts an FX Rack to an FX Chain and docks the FX Chain.

This places all the plug-ins for a track/bus into a single tab. The effects are displayed at the bottom of the FX chain. From there one can open the plug-in UIs, reorder, add or delete plug-ins.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1