35 Automation Lanes!?!?!?!?

I have a lead guitar track I'm trying to adjust, but what the heck? I click the add automation lanes and 35 lanes get added! Many of them have activity.

I'm new, so I'm gobsmacked. I remove all the automation lanes, but still I see a bunch of lines in the waveform for the solo that look like automation - many lines, different colors. I try to add an automation lane again, and same thing - I get DOZENS of them.

What am I doing wrong? How can I clear ALL automation from this track so I can start fresh? I just want to tweak the volume a bit!

Image below shows my volume adjustments in bright green. What is all that other stuff?

Thanks...

Many Lanes.jpg

Just  removing the Automation Lane doesn't remove the Envelopes. Try this to remove the envelopes.

To Delete ALL the envelopes or envelopes in individual Automation Lanes:

To delete several or all envelopes
1. Select the data that contains the envelopes you want to delete—you can select parts of tracks, one or more whole tracks, or all
tracks.

Use the Edit > Delete Special command to open the Delete dialog box.

2. Select only Track/Bus Automation if it’s listed.

3. Click OK.
Cakewalk deletes any track and clip envelopes that are in the data you selected.

If you to keep some automation but delete others, open the Automation Lanes and select just the lanes that contain the envelopes you want to remove. To select a lane click the top left corner above the  -  sign. Press and hold the Ctrl key to select multiple lanes.

Then use Edit/Delete Special to delete the unwanted envelopes, which will also remove those Automation Lanes.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Chappel said:

Just  removing the Automation Lane doesn't remove the Envelopes. Try this to remove the envelopes.

1. Select the data that contains the envelopes you want to delete—you can select parts of tracks, one or more whole tracks, or all
tracks.

3. Click OK.
Cakewalk deletes any track and clip envelopes that are in the data you selected.

If you to keep some automation but delete others, open the Automation Lanes and select just the lanes that contain the envelopes you want to remove. To select a lane click the top left corner above the  -  sign. Press and hold the Ctrl key to select multiple lanes.

Then use Edit/Delete Special to delete the unwanted envelopes, which will also remove those Automation Lanes.

Thanks, I figured it out and did it the hard way, deleting all envelopes individually. Still not sure where all that stuff came from...

Thank you for the help!

5 minutes ago, Barry Seymour said:

Thanks, I figured it out and did it the hard way, deleting all envelopes individually. Still not sure where all that stuff came from...

Thank you for the help!

You're welcome. I wish I had posted that sooner to save you the trouble.

6 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

. Still not sure where all that stuff came from...

If I was going to guess, based on a VERY similar experience, you had write automation turned on and forgot to turn it off. I had a similar experience.  I was setting some levels with the faders with Write Automation on, then, a second time through I started tweaking some knobs on Reverb and compression to find the right settings. .  Since I forgot to turn off the Write Automation,  Cakewalk dutifully paid attention to what I had done and kept doing it and my knob twiddling was recorded for posterity.

• Great Idea 1

17 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

If I was going to guess, based on a VERY similar experience, you had write automation turned on and forgot to turn it off. I had a similar experience.  I was setting some levels with the faders with Write Automation on, then, a second time through I started tweaking some knobs on Reverb and compression to find the right settings. .  Since I forgot to turn off the Write Automation,  Cakewalk dutifully paid attention to what I had done and kept doing it and my knob twiddling was recorded for posterity.

That seems like a pretty good guess.

51 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. So many buttons, so much to forget, ha ha.

25 minutes ago, Barry Seymour said:

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. So many buttons, so much to forget, ha ha.

If you want to make sure nothing is Write Enabled, there is a Clear all automation write enables button in the Mix Module in the Control Bar. If anything is Write Enabled it will turn red, as shown in the image below. Click it to turn off all write automation.

317970136_ControlBarClearWriteAutomation.JPG.d1b321573521c988d34d88ce36d52144.JPG

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

The most important thing is to remember mistakes and not repeat them, but always move on to bigger, better and more innovative mistakes. At this point in my career, my mistakes are truly world class!

Completely OT - but I had to acknowledge one of the better quotes I've read it quite some time.    👍😃

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StudioNSFW said:

The most important thing is to remember mistakes and not repeat them, but always move on to bigger, better and more innovative mistakes. At this point in my career, my mistakes are truly world class!

Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment! 😄

Another one I like is "A smart man learns from his mistakes; a wise man learns from others' mistakes."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chappel said:

If you want to make sure nothing is Write Enabled, there is a Clear all automation write enables button in the Mix Module in the Control Bar. If anything is Write Enabled it will turn red, as shown in the image below. Click it to turn off all write automation.

317970136_ControlBarClearWriteAutomation.JPG.d1b321573521c988d34d88ce36d52144.JPG

Excellent tip, thanks!

On 4/1/2020 at 11:19 PM, Chappel said:

tracks.

3. Click OK.

Thanks for this. This issue has driven me crazy in the past. Never figured out it was a “delete special” move. 

• Like 1