Obnoxious bug with zoom control

v2020.01 Build 28

Sometimes when a prject is playing and I adjust Horizontal Zoom Control at the bottom right corner, the program gets stuck on that and seems to be zooming in endlessly, continuing to the play the track, and the program doesn't respond to any input whatsoever.  I have to End Task it.  Please fix this

I usually zoom with Ctrl+Alt+Scroll Wheel, but just tried the buttons and cannot reproduce any issue. And I don't recall seeing any other reports of this. In order for the Bakers to fix whatever you're encountering, you'll need to give them a project and/or recipe that reproduces it consistently.

On 4/1/2020 at 10:27 PM, MashedBuddha said:

v2020.01 Build 28

Sometimes when a prject is playing and I adjust Horizontal Zoom Control at the bottom right corner, the program gets stuck on that and seems to be zooming in endlessly, continuing to the play the track, and the program doesn't respond to any input whatsoever.  I have to End Task it.  Please fix this

I’ve been having this issue as well!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 11:27 PM, MashedBuddha said:

v2020.01 Build 28

I've had this issue twice in the last 2 days

I've had this happen as well. To free up Cakewalk without having to End Task it and lose your work, you can Ctrl+Alt+Delete to Task Manager, right click on the Cakewalk Application and attempt to create a dump file. As the dump file is created it will halt Cakewalk from continuously running and you'll be able to zoom back out and carry on working. You may have to make a dump file more than once to force Cakewalk to stop. Just remember to delete the dump files if you have to do this a few times as they can take up a lot of space.

If I hit Play then Zoom and it hangs, I can hit the WIN key to escape the Horizontal Zoom slider, then Right click Task bar and Click ‘Show desktop’ to regain control.

If  I Zoom then hit play and it hangs I have to WIN key then Task manager and End Process for Cakewalk.

I have since Cleaned my Video drivers and re-installed, as well as swapped from a firewire interface to a USB one.  Projects that hung every time aren’t  Hanging now. They still jitter and stutter between 75%-100% Horizontal zoom, but have stopped hanging all together.  Not sure which worked.  I have cleaned Video drivers before and still had it happening so I’m not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry @Ben Staton, I tried that when it happened to me last and it remained stuck unfortunately.  :/ The only way I could even get the audio to stop playing at all was ending the task, which obviously killed CbB.

In a way I wish this happened more often for me, because it's extremely rare, and usually when I'm in the middle of something deadline-crucial so I can't do more tests.

• 1 month later...

What I've found is if you have access to your ASIO control panel, ALT-TAB to that (or hit the Windows key to bring up the start menu then run it). Lower your latency down to something stupid so it forces CbB to drop out. Once that happens, you should be able to get control back.

I've only found that this happens on my lower powered machines where they're under a significant load, but on my beefier machines I can't get them even close to reproducing this. I can see why this one is hard to catch...!

• 2 weeks later...

What helped me was to regain control by using Alt+Tab and letting it go zoom crazy for a few minutes until it says "dropout engine" and then it allowed me to save. Just wait, even thought it feels frustrating 

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, Alt-Tab over to another program hasn't been helping me. This has me on the edge. A few times I've had no choice but to end-task. What the heck happened with CbB over the past two updates? It's been rock solid up until this.

This is listed as a bug fix for the most recent release. Well, it didn't fix anything. If anything it's worse. The version prior only got 'stuck' once in a while. But now it's happening about 50% of the time I reach for that slider.

Sorry for vent; but since there still doesn't appear to be a way to submit a bug report (none that I can find), I guess I'll just do it here.

I've been with cake for far too long to leave now. And this is my first real bug/problem. But it's such a deal breaker for me considering how frequently I use this little tool. So I sincerely hope this gets resolved ASAP. Because I can't continue if it stays like this.

This looks like a really tough one to crack. On one machine of mine, I can fairly reliably get things to stick and it looked like this was a good pointer for what was the cause, but on every other machine the same process works correctly.

My initial thought was it was a CPU usage thing; the machine that is choking and getting stuck is in desperate need of replacing and is usually running near the limit of its abilities, and I've found that's when I run into the most issues with this bug. I find it hard to make my other machines work as hard to get it close to this kind of load so that's where the line of thought was going.

However, I was phase aligning 2 wave files with no effects on there at all, zoomed into the sample level and the zoom got stuck during playback, so if it's a CPU thing, this was a different bug exposing the same problem.

What are your machine specs, @Gregg Markus? And how hard are you pushing your projects when it happens? We might be able to narrow something down between us to help Ben get a handle on it.

Interesting. Obviously there's *something* underlying that certain procedures or combinations of effects or hardware is exposing.

What's your machine specs too? Let's see if there's anything common between us. My specs are in my sig (top machine is the one that's crapping out on me)