Visual Clip Gain

JL

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Yeah I see that however CbB has arbitrary clip automation envelopes, not a static gainstage like there. My point is its somewhat harder to apply to the waveform. If it was  a simple gainstage we'd have done it a long time ago.

Would it be difficult to maximize the visual to the current track height scale by default ? This was talked about in another thread, it would at least keep the wave form relatively visible - the scaling would change ( and still be adjustable ) of course - but just changing the track height would keep the waveform relative.

• 1 month later...

Visual Clip gain seems so arbitrary, why not Select all and normalize to -3 dBFS? Realistically, if you say had a tracking accident and one of the clips doesn't match an earlier clip within the track, the normalization applied to the track would ensure they are reasonably consistent ...and if that works then you could just select all clips in the track and "Bounce to clip(s)" boom you have a complete stem. 

I don't see what the issue is, if you want to see more of the waveform, just make the channel taller.

Also, if you've noticed, cakewalk renders the waveform preview by scanning the entire clip(s) so I don't think that waveform information is just stored arbitrarily in memory and therefore the preview is immutable.

21 hours ago, Jason Lashua said:

I don't see what the issue is, if you want to see more of the waveform, just make the channel taller.

It's nothing to do with making the Waveform easier to see. Detailed editing of clip gain is much more intuitive if you can see how loud or quiet that part is visually to other parts of the take / track.

I am talking here about stuff like a single vocal track that has been chopped up into  phrases, then words and then down to syllables for production purposes ..timing  - tuning and level edits at the micro level.

Edited by CosmicDolphin
  • Like 1