EZ Bass NOW Available!

cclarry

Bougth it , installed it , tried , didn't touched it since .... for me it's  as simple as fake or uncomplete marketing , i love them and use their tools but on this on , i'm dissapointed in that area , at least .....

On 6/3/2020 at 11:02 AM, Ozz said:

Is it something truly useful, or another plugin that after a week of toying with it, will now be shoved in the closet with the other unused toys?

🙂 Probably for some, yes

10 minutes ago, Zo said:

Bougth it , installed it , tried , didn't touched it since .... for me it's  as simple as fake or uncomplete marketing , i love them and use their tools but on this on , i'm dissapointed in that area , at least .....

I bought it, installed it, tried it, uninstalled it, I don't need it, and it takes more time and hassle for what I use things like this for, I can program up a place holder with MODO Bass or Trilian, and that's all I use them for, placeholders during creation, then play the bass line with a real bass in the end. This would just cause excessive time wasting for me fluffing around with everything.

It does seem like a very good plug if that's what you are after, doesn't sound all that great IMO, MODO Bass sounds better. It has some nice features, but I just don't need the extra distraction.

Edited by ensconced

2 minutes ago, ensconced said:

I bought it, installed it, tried it, uninstalled it, I don't need it, and it takes more time and hassle for what I use things like this for, I can program up a place holder with MODO Bass or Trilian, and that's all I use them for, placeholders during creation, then play the bass line with a real bass in the end. This would just cause excessive time wasting for me fluffing around with everything.

I'm gonna give it more time , quality time , right now ,conditions at home aren't optimal creation wise , gonna try to move and have creative times as well as spiritual and healthy oriented .... my body is giving me signs of "wtf zo "

• Like 2

Thanks folks,  I think for now, at least, you've saved me some $$.   I'll wait and see if improvements are made to it that would make it worth my while.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

I have had good results for what I am going for. I like old school low end bass lines with a laid back feel. Think Pink Floyd, Skynyrd, and the Doobie Brothers. I am still in the learning phase I can tell you that for sure, and it's not as easy as it is to get results with EZD or EZK. 

My first outings with it on one of my songs I was getting really good results on my Surface PRo, which is a touch screen. Trying to do the same song on my main music computer hasn't been as successful, IDKW. But I think I can get better bass lines out of it than I can play. That's for sure.

I still think Toontrack hit it out the park on this one. I really do. I still love this software and it will be used for everysong I will make from now on.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grem said:

I have had good results for what I am going for. I like old school low end bass lines with a laid back feel. Think Pink Floyd, Skynyrd, and the Doobie Brothers. I am still in the learning phase I can tell you that for sure, and it's not as easy as it is to get results with EZD or EZK. 

My first outings with it on one of my songs I was getting really good results on my Surface PRo, which is a touch screen. Trying to do the same song on my main music computer hasn't been as successful, IDKW. But I think I can get better bass lines out of it than I can play. That's for sure.

I still think Toontrack hit it out the park on this one. I really do. I still love this software and it will be used for everysong I will make from now on.

For , there s some stuff that i don t like the smell of , editing approximation is one of them , looks for me more like a release candidate than a finshed product . All i can say is tha my other bass stiff gonna stil be used more often from what i seen .

calling something ez while it s not at all the case is strange ... if i have to spend 30 min , the whole concept of replacing a real session bassplayer for fast writting recording. Isn t met .

I think EZinstruments are shining most because of lots of available MIDI usable for a different styles so providing way to use real players grooves. style, 'tricks'.

I am happy to have EZkey not because it sounds exceptional (I just bought 'by design' only 1 EZ extension) but as platform for running all their MIDI libs and use them with other VSTi.

I had similar concept with EZBass but it gave me much more to be honest. Don't care too much about sound as have other bass VSTi which I like (MODO or Trilian).

I have no bass so no way to play even simple tracks by myself. So previously I often recorded guitar, converted it by Melodyne to MIDI and then use bass VSTi. But articulation things were poorly translated of course (not mentioning I cannot play all spectrum articulation of bass on guitar to sound as bass player)

But with EZbass instead I can use it directly, having also available lots  of MIDI groove/styles to use.

But about providing and replacing tracks for bass (or other instruments) please do not forget about power of Band in a Box.

Maybe it looks not too pretty and modern but it gives possibility to generate tracks for almost any chords progressions and it is real recording of real bass player so is pretty  cool. 

The 'disadvantage' is here as it is audio track so if you are not happy about something you cannot edit it easily other way than audio (cut/replace/move etc) and there is not way to fully control what BiaB generates (if you like it you can freeze it - if not try again etc) .  Anyway in many cases it is - I believe - the simplest way to have track which sounds like real bass track. However BiaB is not cheap with all real tracks especially audiophile edition if you would like to have the best possible quality...

edit:

Forgot mention:  There are also pretty good Amplesound bass VSTis with riffer as tool to avoid painful work with articulation in MIDI directly but not compatible in this area with other manufactures VSTi of course.

Edited by Piotr
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Piotr said:

Forgot mention:  There are also pretty good Amplesound bass VSTis with riffer as tool to avoid painful work with articulation in MIDI directly but not compatible in this area with other manufactures VSTi of course.

Hey Piotr - have you tried both (EZ Bass/Amplesound basses)? I'm potentially interested in getting one (not sure which one yet) and was interested in hearing a few opinions.

57 minutes ago, antler said:

Hey Piotr - have you tried both (EZ Bass/Amplesound basses)? I'm potentially interested in getting one (not sure which one yet) and was interested in hearing a few opinions.

Yup. Have them both. But to be honest my experience with EZB is not very big yet. Played with it few times so there is a big chance I missed how to do what I have tried better and easier.

Anyway comparing both I prefer ASBs sound over EZB so far but not tried too much to play with amp sims and EZB yet. There is a chance EZB DI + great bass amp sim would give more possibilities to create sound. There is however option to mix pickups  (for some reason in Effects) what change tone significantly.

AS Basses have been also extended by lots of new nice features in ver3 like amp sims, better fxs. So far they have also policy not charging for any updates even if major version is changed... Very cool...    I started with ver1 - now have ver3 and no single dollar asked for such upgrade even if they changed sample libraries and rebuilt GUI significantly with lots new nice features (like amp sims) !

Riffer is also very useful. It is still a little pain as always when needed to modify single notes to add flavors but much easier to deal with than programming key switches in plain MIDI track (what I personally hate as lazy old boy). They could improve it with adding some smart tools to do some mass operations...

EZB gives another things which I really appreciate.  I like direction of VSTi development to automate things about creation although they seem not to be all fully completed. For instance I recorded guitar into EZB and while it recognized properly my articulation idea translation was pretty terrible so anyway hard  manual work needed in that case.

Strong point of EZB is automatically  adjusting  bass to chord progression (like in EZKeys). Not possible inside AS (but if you are in Studio One you can try to use its power however articulation things need to be secured against transposition).

I expect Toontrack will be releasing lots of styles MIDI libs for EZB soon so in case of having libs with proper articulations coded it will be many ready grooves to pick. But it will cost additional money for sure. 😕

About MIDI grooves currently available in EZB well... I picked randomly some and rather was not impressed.... To be honest lots  of them are not interesting at all. I had hard times to match groove to chord progression to be happy with results. But maybe I am doing something wrong ? 🙄

Or maybe bassists are playing such rubbish and I didn't notice  ;)

Anyway provided by AS riffer bass examples sound like from different league to my ears...  Although they are static - no option to automatically adjust to chords. You need do it manually. So again something better something not... Also in riffer there are examples sounding badly like tapping example on ABJ... brrr.. pour plastic...

And you are browsing over files/directories... so not really convenient... In EZB you have nice browser with multiple filters like playstyle, genre, type, signature etc

There is also interesting option in EZB  Tap2find but it needs big MIDI library to really have chance for something what is close to what I tapped (52% of similarity for result is often useless). So maybe after buying some MIDI pack I would have better chance...

Sorry for chaotic writing, little tired today after work so just putting what raises in my head when thinking of those plugins :)

The more I am trying to compare them it is harder as they are so different animals... It is easy to be lost.

Maybe best approach what to pick would be starting from what you really need to have like a creating  of 'internal list' and see which one is closer ?

Bass is kind of strange animal as in many mixes is destroyed anyway by distortions/saturation etc But what workflow you are planning to use? 

If you are songwriter I believe you will appreciate EZB for many things to make life easier. It is more complicated to learn then AS but for those helpers it is worth to spend some time to master it to minimize manual work (it is my plan ;)

On the other side if you are good piano player you could master AS keyswitches and be able to be happy with it...

If I need something really fast only for practicing or experimenting sake I am recording it on guitar using THU and preset guitar-to-bass but of course it sounds little odd (although articulation is kept nicely ;)  

• Thanks 1

In fact Piotr i suspect brands to put crappy presets to sell expansion , i had this feeling with massive x and i def have it with ezbass 

you re absolutly right the built bass pattern are terrrible. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zo said:

the built bass pattern are terrrible. 

Has anyone tried using them with Metal songs/music. They all pretty much sound like that's what they were shooting for. There is no walking bass line that I found in the groovs... yet.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

13 hours ago, antler said:

A few things good to know about buying AS VSTi:

- wait for deal, currently there is not the best time to buy basses, as there are deals for guitar.

- every time they are releasing new instrument they are making deal for the same type so with releasing new bass or bigger update they will do it again

- unfortunately - and this is a little pain - to get a fat deal you would need to buy more at once as they are discounted much more then.

For instance price for 4 electric basses bought separately currently would be 4*$119=$476 but buying them all in 1 order give price $308.

So if they were in sale it would be even better

- there are also extensions for Jazz bass and Precision bass but it is the best to skip them because of 2 reasons:

they are not doing any discount to whole price so anytime price for an extension is added as full price to sum

and there is a chance at one point they will integrate them into VSTis with no additional cost (as they did for electric guitars)

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Has anyone tried using them with Metal songs/music. They all pretty much sound like that's what they were shooting for. There is no walking bass line that I found in the groovs... yet.

Grem, you can be right. Indeed metal things seems to be more useful.  Need to give it a try.

Instead of providing a library where at best i m 50 % close in tap to find , with ok stuff in every genre ...they should let you choose the type of library you want 

1) general one (actual one )

2) jazz , bleus 

3) metal 

Ect ...it would have made more sens but they clearly want to sell those ... 

The glide is unusable here or might don t k ow how to use , variations are great in busy pattern , but my bassline use to fallow kick here and there , busy bass lines is what i hate ...

Edition is 1990 .... and promised features are not there , and they re blaming daws for that ... witch is false since i can drag and drop audio from any daw in padshop for exemple ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

EzBass has an update out.

Thanks for the heads-up. There's also an update to the Audio Sender. Of course, EZbass is the first VI listed by the Product Manager...and the Audio Sender is listed last.

• Like 1