EZ Bass NOW Available!

cclarry

I can't drag audio from a track in Cubase into EzBass.  I can drag MIDI though.  If I drag the audio from a Windows Explorer into Cubase I can drop it.  But I can't take a Cubase audio blob and drop that.   Both kinds of dragging from a track work in Cakewalk By Bandlab the current early access release.  I only have EzBass 1.0.2, nothing newer is shown in the Toontrack manager for me.

7 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

Yup.  I've done both in Studio One 4.6 with really good results.   MIDI editing is a royal P-I-T-A until they fix the sensitivity of the notes.  Nearly impossible to lengthen or shorten individual notes without a ton of trial and error.  How does something like that slip through QA???

Zo, I'm getting a pretty nice tone just using Ignite Amps SHB-1 with the EZBass picked DI patch.  Even better with other sims.

How do you manage to drag MIDI from a track to EzBass? It's not working for me in Studio One 4.6

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I can't drag audio from a track in Cubase into EzBass.  I can drag MIDI though.  If I drag the audio from a Windows Explorer into Cubase I can drop it.  But I can't take a Cubase audio blob and drop that.   Both kinds of dragging from a track work in Cakewalk By Bandlab the current early access release.  I only have EzBass 1.0.2, nothing newer is shown in the Toontrack manager for me.

In Cubase, I think that's an issue (no drag/drop) when you're running as an Administrator.

Setup a test account (non Admin)... and see if you can then drag/drop.

I know this doesn't make a lot of logical sense, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

I would never run any audio app as Administrator.  Ever.  And you shouldn't either.

And this is dragging INSIDE Cubase, so no system rights are involved -- from a Cubase track to a Cubase hosted plugin.  I can drop audio from Windows Explorer into Cubase just fine.  But when you try and drop audio from a track inside Cubase into Windows Explorer you don't get a wav file.  Instead you get a text file.  Here's an example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<vst-xml version="1.2">
    <region id="449366240">
        <filename>E:\Music\Cubase Projects\Testing-348\Audio\SC-Moonkits-HyenaGroove-110.wav</filename>
        <start>0</start>
        <end>418908</end>
        <projectTime domain="quarterNotes">0</projectTime>
    </region>
    <sourceApp>Cubase</sourceApp>
</vst-xml>

I'm not sure if there is some sort of setting in Cubase perhaps that would make it do a more normal file drag and drop?

As a result of this, I don't think you can drag audio from a Cubase track into EzBass.  EzBass I guess could add a handler for Cubase's crazy text file drop (which looks to be some sort of VST related thing maybe).

6 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

In Cubase, I think that's an issue (no drag/drop) when you're running as an Administrator.

Setup a test account (non Admin)... and see if you can then drag/drop.

I know this doesn't make a lot of logical sense, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

I would have thougth the opposit

Turns out Cubase/Stienberg only support dragging audio out using the VST-XML format.  So anything that doesn't support that can't be a drag target for audio.  And it's by design.  I found links to a utility app someone wrote that you could drop into and then drag back from in the right format, but it can't be downloaded anymore (the host they were using is out of business).

http://vstxmltranslator.blogspot.com/

As a result the only way EzBass will work in Cubase is if they modify their plugin to accept these VST-XML files as drag sources.  I doubt Toontrack would be willing to do that though.  Oh well it works in CbB. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Turns out Cubase/Stienberg only support dragging audio out using the VST-XML format.  So anything that doesn't support that can't be a drag target for audio.  And it's by design.  I found links to a utility app someone wrote that you could drop into and then drag back from in the right format, but it can't be downloaded anymore (the host they were using is out of business).

http://vstxmltranslator.blogspot.com/

As a result the only way EzBass will work in Cubase is if they modify their plugin to accept these VST-XML files as drag sources.  I doubt Toontrack would be willing to do that though.  Oh well it works in CbB. 🙂

You rock MAt and by the way your literraly scared the hell of me during session now with your post notification lol ...man this nadlab notification is like an ultimatum

18 minutes ago, GroverKen said:

EzBass 1.0.3 showing in my account!

yep several fixes but nothing on drag and drop ...

Cool that the damping and tempo bug have been fixed

Sorry, misspoke: this morning I could import both MIDI and audio but the audio only worked if I select the file through the "Select Audio" drop-down.  Just updated to the most recent version and still no drag-and-drop AND I can't even select a MIDI file from a project to import into EZBass let along drag it into the UI.

1 hour ago, Marc Cormier said:

Sorry, misspoke: this morning I could import both MIDI and audio but the audio only worked if I select the file through the "Select Audio" drop-down.  Just updated to the most recent version and still no drag-and-drop AND I can't even select a MIDI file from a project to import into EZBass let along drag it into the UI.

MArc , for the Mdidi thing , could you do it before update ?

25 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

Yes!  That's the frustrating part, Zo.  They fixed one bug and introduced another.

Damn i swear i was dowloading the update to update and been notified by your post ...a chance 

When you say imported midi you mean via the open thing or drag and rop ?

IF drag and drop , from daw or daw browser ?

27 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

Yes!  That's the frustrating part, Zo.  They fixed one bug and introduced another.

On the plus side, they're on top of the updates/bug fixes and they've always been good with that.  I just got it and looking forward to using this. :) 

• Like 4

Hey, Zo.  So I can drag MIDI from a windows explorer window into the bottom of the Song Track timeline in EZB.  Midi imported via the Open File option in EZ Bass doesn't work in 1.3 but it did in 1.0.  I'm in Studio One 4.6, Windows 10.  No drag and drop working from within EZB.

Edited by Marc Cormier

So now that this has been out for a couple/few weeks......what are users here thinking? 

Any major problems, flaws or inconveniences?  Any minor nitpicks??

Is it something truly useful, or another plugin that after a week of toying with it, will now be shoved in the closet with the other unused toys?

Will the included loops cause an abundance of VERY similar, and rather generic sounding songs, or are they actually usable, and editable to the point where a non-bassist (such as myself) could have a realistic (or as realistic as one could expect) bass part in a song.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger, but don't want to waste money on something that's not going to do the trick.

I've watched numerous youtube vids, but I never know if those people are shilling......I've seen two that were somewhat critical (both from the same person, though) regarding the poor performance he was experiencing with audio tracking.....

Anyway, any input here would be appreciated......If it's truly decent, I imagine I'll probably get it within the next couple days...

Thanks