EZ Bass NOW Available!

cclarry

Purchased from Best Services in the low $130 range.  Ser Num was instantaneously added to my Best Services account.  Able to immediately download and activate by Toontrack Product Manager.

Thanks to all who posted Best Services as a source for this one!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I was working with the Drum and Keyboard tab last night. In combination with the Audio Tracker and the Grooves that come with EZB, I am starting to piece together some really good sounding bass lines with lots of variety and flash!!

I have found with the keyboard midi dragged into EZB you can use the left hand or right hand. Each one gives different results. Now also add the midi drum to EZB and you have three choices that can cover almost the whole song. 

Now look for grooves based on those generated clips and you can slice and place little fills all over the place. 

Yep, they hit this out the park!!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Grem said:

I was working with the Drum and Keyboard tab last night. In combination with the Audio Tracker and the Grooves that come with EZB, I am starting to piece together some really good sounding bass lines with lots of variety and flash!!

I have found with the keyboard midi dragged into EZB you can use the left hand or right hand. Each one gives different results. Now also add the midi drum to EZB and you have three choices that can cover almost the whole song. 

Now look for grooves based on those generated clips and you can slice and place little fills all over the place. 

Yep, they hit this out the park!!

Make a vid and show us how it's done.

I haven't had time to play whiff it yet.

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

I thought about it. But I am no good at that! 

Most of this has been found out here at work (where I am right now). We've been getting some breaks and I was able to dig into EZB a lot more than I thought I would. 

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

haven't had time to play whiff it yet.

Let us know what you think of it. I am curious to see what a bass player thinks about it. 

I also hooked up TH-U bass amp and Amplitube SVT amp to the DI preset of EZB and man that really opens up the sound of that thing!! 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, Bapu said:

I haven't had time to play whiff it yet.

The one Larry posted recently in this thread cleared up a couple of things that were puzzling me. I missed the bit where you had to tell it if it was keyboard or drum MIDI initially and it clarified the drum options.

I had a play around last night with one of the 4/4 "Oh Yes" patterns in EZkeys.  (Its only a quaver away from a copyright violation 😉) The bass parts generated went exactly instant Chris Squire but they were pretty good.

I have been playing around some more.

First off I wanted to confirm that chord recognition was taking place in EZBass and was not being transferred from EZKeys.  This was my understanding but I wanted to make sure. When dragging my own MIDI parts the chords were correctly interpreted, including inversion. I think creating your own very simple MIDI piano phrases and and dragging them in is a good way to start to understand the way EZBass interprets the data. With simple triads with no left hand part only the rhythm and chord is available (doh!)  when there is an inversion EZBass uses the lowest note, not the root note to create its part. It would be nice to have the option to do either.

Next I wanted to try complex time signatures and played around with some MIDI from the EZKeys Seventies Prog pack.  Everything worked OK.  I got a really nice thing going with some of the very busy 7/8 EZKeys parts without any extra editing. The transition option works pretty well if you select the most appropriate transition for the part. From there you can move over to grid editor and tweak it.

I notice there are no factory grooves in 5/4, 7/8 etc. so I am hoping they will add these. I also think they need to do a Rickenbacker expansion.

2 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

The transition option works pretty well if you select the most appropriate transition for the part. From there you can move over to grid editor and tweak it.

Yes, this is what I am finding out too. The wav I posted was hardly any editing in the grid editor. I was just trying to see what EZB could do on it's own.

It surprised me that you said EZB didn't recognize the chords of the midi dragging into it from EZK. Since I was just working with both as is, I can only assume that I didn't notice this due to both being in the key of C and me working with a very simple chord progression.

35 minutes ago, Grem said:

It surprised me that you said EZB didn't recognize the chords of the midi dragging into it from EZK. Since I was just working with both as is, I can only assume that I didn't notice this due to both being in the key of C and me working with a very simple chord progression.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, that was clumsy wording on my part. My curiosity was, did the chord names come from some meta data that was dragged across from EZKeys or where they determined in EZBass from the actual notes. If it was the former it would have complicated the workflow with non-EZKeys MIDI.  Chords are recognized regardless of the source.

I have yet to try "jazz" chords and see if they confuse EZBass.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grem said:

Here is a wav that I made with EZ Bass, EZ Drummer, EZ Keys. This is waht EZB can do.

Although not fresh or dynamic it was functional for what the chord changes were. I'm going to have to dig into it one of these day. 🤪

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

functional for what the chord changes were.

Yes, that's what I was trying to do here. If you listen to the hit hats in the beginning,  I used those midi clips from EZD to generate the bass part. It was mostly one note, but in time and beat with the hi hat. From there you can add the transitions that Glynn mentioned. And what I found out was that you could take that as far as you want to go. The same patterns are used towards the end, just embellished with the transition setting and the 'Find' feature in the browser. 

Another great feature of EZB is the Timing/Swing. You can use that on the whole song or just on a section. Gives a loose feel. If you listen to my example, you can hear the bass has that loose feel. All the notes were on the money with either the keyboards or drums. I adjusted the Swing setting and that opened up the whole piece.

I can see someone using this to get some great grooves going.

OK i pulled the trigger , i hope i won't regret it , i'm pretty happy with NI / modo / trillian , mainly because i do very link to drums type of bass , no bass lines feeding the whole time ect ... just hits and licks , so time to try that  .

No very impressed by the Audio exemples of that , i here a lt of processing but the DI does'nt feel as detailed as what i cited , or am i tripping ?

Can we make our own midi libraries (as a starting point) ?