EZ Bass NOW Available!

cclarry

23 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Still, one thing I do know from playing bass is that sometimes the best part is extremely simple. You don't have to be a hotdog.  The bass player serves the song

Yes, exactly. Well said. And it's being this "Extremely simple" "Extremely well!" that separates the good ones from the run of the mill crowd.

I just used the Audio Tracker (before I watched Larry's video) on a clean guitar trk (the whole song) and the results note wise was on the money. The playing that was generated wouldn't be that useful without some major editing. However, after watching the video Larry just posted, it gave me some ideas about how I could have gone about it better. 

So, I am going to keep using the same guitar part (because it works well with EZB) and try the different options I learned about in the video to see what it can generate. It seems that the little effort I put into getting the generated part, is what I got out of it!!

One of the great things about EZ Drummer, EZ Keys is building your part in that instrument. You can save different versions of any part of song  and go back later and find where the midi came from.  Once you drag it to a track there is no record of what it is made of.  Im sure it is same in EZ Bass. Im another guitar player who enjoys playing bass and is unsure about spending the money for software. maybe it will be useful to build a track with EZB and then learn it and play it in.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BassDaddy said:

One of the great things about EZ Drummer, EZ Keys is building your part in that instrument. You can save different versions of any part of song  and go back later and find where the midi came from.  Once you drag it to a track there is no record of what it is made of. 

Yep. Took a while for me to figure this out! I was like "Why would I want to save in the vst?" Duh!!

One of the things EzBass  seems to really excel with is transposing recorded bass lines, so even if you are a bassist it would be useful. You could play, edit , get ideas and save them to use later. So still a lot of fun to be had in that way.  I was thinking (Not being a bassist) I could transpose all the bass loops  I have, even get loops from bassists I really like, then import them in to use a playing styles.    Geddy up

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

13 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

I don't recall seeing this mentioned, but does it have MIDI Out?

Yes if you enable it.  But it only sends MIDI from it's track/Groove browser/interface.  It doesn't seem to pass through MIDI.  So if I turn it's sound off and record on it's Cakewalk MIDI input track I don't get any MIDI out,  If I play the track back I still get no MIDI out.  But if I put the recorded MIDI onto EzBass's track it does send it out.

I'm not sure that's a big deal really, but I did notice it when trying to play around with turning it's volume to 0 and replacing it with MODO bass.

oEIVYJ.jpg

• Like 2

I love all the Bass authoring features in EzBass.  The UI is very nice and powerful.  I really hope they bring all these improvements to EzKeys and EzDrummer.  But at least for me I really think I like the sounds in MODO bass more (a lot more).  Am I just an idiot?  The two basses included with EzBass seem nice and all, but from a audio tone/settings view I was kind of underwhelmed.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

But at least for me I really think I like the sounds in MODO bass more (a lot more).  Am I just an idiot? 

I don't think we are!! 'cause I was thinking the same thing as I am playing around with it. I think if I get the midi the way I want in EZB, then drag the midi over to a trk on MODO bass....

Yes!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Grem said:

I think if I get the midi the way I want in EZB, then drag the midi over to a trk on MODO bass....

I am using the same strategy with EZKeys. Only 1 sound pack on bigger sale bought. Only buying MIDI packs and using them as MIDI track to feed other piano VSTi which I already have...

But....

In this case I am afraid it could be not such simple... Straight notes probably no problem... But articulation things I wouldn't expect other bass VSTi react exact in the same way and sound the same way...

• Like 1

I think, for those with "better" instruments, this would be the strategy for all the "EZ" line...
write your MIDI parts, and then use the MIDI to drive those "better Instruments"...

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Yes if you enable it.  But it only sends MIDI from it's track/Groove browser/interface.  It doesn't seem to pass through MIDI.  So if I turn it's sound off and record on it's Cakewalk MIDI input track I don't get any MIDI out,  If I play the track back I still get no MIDI out.  But if I put the recorded MIDI onto EzBass's track it does send it out.

I'm not sure that's a big deal really, but I did notice it when trying to play around with turning it's volume to 0 and replacing it with MODO bass.

I'm not sure what you mean, I've been using it to drive MODO bass all day?  I'm using Studio One, which I find has some of the best midi routing for plugins.  I do have to turn down the volume on EZbass, but I love that it also works from the browser.  I can record a new part to my DAW just by switching and combining different clips.

Otherwise excellent piece of software.   Also, where is this 1.3.0 version listed in the manual?  EZKeys is about the only thing not importing and causing it to crash S1?

Edited by Topcheese
Correcting false bug report

15 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I think, for those with "better" instruments, this would be the strategy for all the "EZ" line...
write your MIDI parts, and then use the MIDI to drive those "better Instruments"...

Except for midi is limited, so that's why they give you features in EZbass to create something more expressive in it.  Unless you play it live and record the performance ... right?

2 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Also it might help, but in S1 it won't record unless "Monitor" is enabled on both tracks.  Maybe it's the same in Cakewalk?

8 minutes ago, Topcheese said:

I'm not sure what you mean, I've been using it to drive MODO bass all day? 

Inside Cakewalk I have EzBass and MODO Bass with the MIDI and sound tracks split out.  On MODO Bass I have the MIDI track input set to EzBass and echo turned on.  I go to the EzBass MIDI track (which is set to fed MIDI to EzBass) and I play keys on my keyboard.  EzBass gets those keys and plays those notes but doesn't pass the notes through to MODO Bass.

If I record the notes in EzBass's track or drop MIDI into EzBass or even play the EzBass GUI it does pass through.  But it doesn't pass through MIDI coming from Cakewalk into EzBass.  The MIDI has to be inside EzBass.

It doesn't route through the notes in Cubase 10.5 either.  With Cubase though I can easily setup a MIDI track going to two instruments.  But since Cakewalk doesn't have that kind of MIDI routing, it would be handy if EzBass forwarded on MIDI input to it to the output.  That way I can quickly compare and contrast things.  Might just be me, but I'd expect EzBass to output anything it's actually playing to the MIDI out but it doesn't seem to be doing that.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Inside Cakewalk I have EzBass and MODO Bass with the MIDI and sound tracks split out.  On MODO Bass I have the MIDI track input set to EzBass and echo turned on.  I go to the EzBass MIDI track (which is set to fed MIDI to EzBass) and I play keys on my keyboard.  EzBass gets those keys and plays those notes but doesn't pass the notes through to MODO Bass.

If I record the notes in EzBass's track or drop MIDI into EzBass or even play the EzBass GUI it does pass through.  But it doesn't pass through MIDI coming from Cakewalk into EzBass.  The MIDI has to be inside EzBass.

I see what you mean about the "midi thru" not being there, but then why are you even using EZbass to record to begin with.  If you want the features of EZbass then you'll have to record into it to get those features.  If you like the sound of MODO bass, then just record the other way around, then use the tools in EZbass to do what you need.

Sorry if I'm missing something again.

I just tried and EzDrummer doesn't forward MIDI either so I guess it's consistent.  I only noticed and cared because I have projects that already have MIDI that I wanted to see what EzBass's sound would do for them.  So plugging it into that creates a situation I'd like it to pass trough the MIDI.  Kontakt lets you choose if incoming notes are passed along, which is maybe why I expected EzBass to do it.  For a new project I don't think it's all that big a deal.  But I still think it's wrong to not at least support it as an option though.