Anyone setting new goals for their music production?

kitekrazy

Just curious since our lives are being altered. I have a lot of tutorials yet to view.   I just finished all 6 parts of Live 10 on Udemy. It does make me realize that so much in our DAW have sufficient effects that you ask yourself why did you bother messing with over 1000 3rd party stuff.

So I'm not sure what to do next with music software.  

I keep thinking that I should really use the down time to get busy with the music, but in truth I've hardly touched the DAW pc for a week. Forcing myself to do it rarely amounts to anything worthwhile. Keep forgetting that I have the Groove 3 pass, so might look at some of that tomorrow and maybe that will start something off if I can stay awake long enough - however interesting the subject matter EK's voice is a bit like a bedtime story for me and I'm usually falling asleep 15 minutes in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

I keep thinking that I should really use the down time to get busy with the music, but in truth I've hardly touched the DAW pc for a week. Forcing myself to do it rarely amounts to anything worthwhile. Keep forgetting that I have the Groove 3 pass, so might look at some of that tomorrow and maybe that will start something off if I can stay awake long enough - however interesting the subject matter EK's voice is a bit like a bedtime story for me and I'm usually falling asleep 15 minutes in.

I think that is quite easy when one spends time looking at DAW deals even though no income to buy stuff.  Groove 3 has soured on me because everything is done in Logic.  I'm becoming a fan of Udemy.

I'm finishing up my Doug Marks' guitar lessons from when I was 14. That's no joke. I bought his VHS lessons way back then and I just never got to complete them, I always went off on my own tangents. But I bought his new lessons couple years ago and I intend to finish them. Doug Marks was part of my childhood so they have sentimental value too. I mean, I used to prank call the guy and he was a good sport and humored a kid. You've got to make time to practice on your instruments themselves outside of songwriting. A lot of guys don't practice anymore and they just pick up the instrument to record something real quick and put it back down. The only time I really practice anymore on guitar and bass is when I'm sitting in front of the TV at night which is just about every night and that's good, because if I don't do that I may go 4 weeks without touching my bass guitar and while I'll not have lost any of my technique in that time my calluses will be gone by then. 

I've been getting ready to get ready to start something. That qualifies as almost a goal.

I recorded a bunch of stuff tonight and erased all of it. If a track was recorded in solitude and no one ever heard it, was it still a song? Most of it almost sounded like something..I was mainly laying tracks down in two different DAWS to isolate a problem I was having with a VSTi. In Cakewalk I just bumped my mod wheel and I had sound from the instrument the midi was tied to. The mod wheel is CC#1 tied to volume. In the other DAW it did nothing. This was after messing around with it for two hours writing midi control automation into the track yada yada yada. I opened it up again and it worked. I have no idea what I did to fix it.

I guess my "goal" was to do something. I accomplished that. My next goal is to do something else that involves making music and not messing with a DAW.

9 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I think that is quite easy when one spends time looking at DAW deals even though no income to buy stuff.  Groove 3 has soured on me because everything is done in Logic.  I'm becoming a fan of Udemy.

TBH although I always look, there is usually very little in the deals forum that is all that interesting to me, so it doesn't take long. I'm pretty much done with jumping through hoops to get freebies that I'll never use. I only have the groove 3 pass because I was given it, hence why I tend to forget about it. The DAW used doesn't really bother me as when I remember that I have it I look at stuff where the DAW is irrelevant.

7 hours ago, paulo said:

TBH although I always look, there is usually very little in the deals forum that is all that interesting to me, so it doesn't take long. I'm pretty much done with jumping through hoops to get freebies that I'll never use. I only have the groove 3 pass because I was given it, hence why I tend to forget about it. The DAW used doesn't really bother me as when I remember that I have it I look at stuff where the DAW is irrelevant.

I got a deal from them some time ago where I'm billed monthly until I stop it.  Hal Leonard stuff is now part of Groove 3 and I start to pay attention to some of that.  My main dish a Groove 3 is the lack of attention given to the most popular DAW Fl Studio.  When they have it's been half assed.  I also got the same type of deal from MPV and they have more for FL.  

13 hours ago, Starise said:

I've been getting ready to get ready to start something. That qualifies as almost a goal.

I recorded a bunch of stuff tonight and erased all of it. If a track was recorded in solitude and no one ever heard it, was it still a song? Most of it almost sounded like something..I was mainly laying tracks down in two different DAWS to isolate a problem I was having with a VSTi. In Cakewalk I just bumped my mod wheel and I had sound from the instrument the midi was tied to. The mod wheel is CC#1 tied to volume. In the other DAW it did nothing. This was after messing around with it for two hours writing midi control automation into the track yada yada yada. I opened it up again and it worked. I have no idea what I did to fix it.

I guess my "goal" was to do something. I accomplished that. My next goal is to do something else that involves making music and not messing with a DAW.

For me that would be improving on a real instrument.

• Like 1

No new gear acquisition here or even seriously considered but I was sort of blessed in a weird way by the Shelter in Place order - I had literally just finished tracking the keyboard parts by an really good pianist for a debut album for my ex-fiancee when the word came down that the whole county was now "Shelter in place".  She's got one of THOSE voices - real Adele/Celine Dion quality, power and range, but is also a day-jobber and so getting her in the studio to record the vocals had to be worked around her erratic schedule and subsequently the project was just creeping along.  Suddenly her job was just not there and as she still lives here in a spare bedroom, suddenly she was basically confined to the studio. While living with an ex is a very special kind of experience, it's made up with by the fact that we can suddenly take the time and really work on each song until we're both satisfied with the performance and still make much faster progress than what was happening before the Rise of the Covids. I haven't been this deep in an album for years, and it's been great to not even bother watching the clock to get the tracks just so.   We've now got a couple "In the can" and a several queued up to be mixed, with I think 4 songs to go for vocal tracking.