No Audio but VU meters move...

Scott Doherty

Question

Hi all,

Recently setup Cakewalk but here are my main issues:

I get the common error "The following tracks and buses are currently assigned to a silent hardware output...Master"

However I have assigned my Master, as well as all other tracks and buses, to outputs, switched hardware preferences, even switched hardware (maudio fast track, line6 firehawk, built in headphone jack) to no avail.

BUT, my first track is a midi track with EZdrummer and when I select the snare in ezdrummer it makes a sound, the vu meter on the drum track moves, on the drum bus moves and on the master fader moves.... However, I have my guitar plugged into an audio track and the vu meter moves when I play but no sound whatsoever. 

I have updated all drivers, deselected and reselected different input/output drivers, hardware, etc. Nothing seems to help. I get audio from the midi channels carrying all the way along the signal chain but none from the audio channels.

Has anyone run into something like this before?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

13 minutes ago, Scott Doherty said:

I have my guitar plugged into an audio track and the vu meter moves when I play but no sound whatsoever. 

To hear live input from the DAW, input echo must be enabled on the track. It is the button to the right of the record button

Monitoring this way will result in some delay between the time the strings are plucked and when the sound arrives to your ears. The amount of this delay is determined by the ASIO buffer settings and plug-in in the project. Most interfaces, M-Audio included have a direct monitoring feature which sends the signal going to the DAW directly to its outputs along with the rest of the audio from the DAW.