Midi notes get choked off

Hi,

I'm just starting to use Cakewalk. I have some midi songs that used to play on Sonar 5 fine. I'm using a Ketron SD2 as my sound module. But in the new cakewalk some of the midi notes get choked off. I know that midi modules have a limit to how many notes they can play at one time but i have a few songs with just a basic drum beat, organ and bass. And it happens there too. How can I fix this?

On 4/1/2020 at 1:44 PM, Roxy McDaniel said:

some of the midi notes get choked off

What does choked off mean here?

Do you mean some notes do not sound, they do not sound but show up in the events list/notation view, they do not get recorded, they sound but are cut off early (duration shortened) or what? I am sure you know exactly what you mean, and that "choked off" means exactly that to you, but spend a few minutes and a few descriptive words that explain exactly what you are doing, what you expect, and what is happening to help the rest of us.

I have some MIDI files that were not done by be so there are no flaws in them. ;) They used to play perfectly in my previous setup, when I had Sonar 5 with my Ketron SD2 module and windows XP.  Now I have win 7 and the latest cakewalk by bandlab and those very same files do not play correctly. What happens is that a certain note or group of notes which are supposed to have a longer duration get cut short. That's what I mean by getting choked off. Many years ago I used to have a module that could only play very few midi notes at the same time. So I thought this might be the problem here but I have a Midi song that only has a sparse drum groove, a bass part and simple chords (4 notes) and yet there are notes that don't sound for the designated duration.

I'm at a loss I don't know how to fix this.

This happens to me if one note is too long and it bumps into another. I've had to manually adjust ( or shorten) the offending note so it doesn't clip off the next note. As far as I know It has been this way since Sonar 8.5.3.  I don't use external sound modules anymore, just VST or DXI instruments.

BTW, this is very noticeable in the bass synth Trilian.  

Have you tried quantizing your midi notes? In particular, note durations.

I do a good deal of my work with midi. Although I’m never going to be confused with a midi master I do spend a considerable amount of time making sure my midi notes “look” right in the staff view. Doing this type of housekeeping almost always produces the desired result in audio with zero notes being choked, as you say.

M.

This sounds like it might be the duration of the notes being shortened.  If you're familiar with the Piano Roll View, you might check the duration of the notes there, where you can select the offending notes and edit them at once or singly.  Consult the manual or the numerous videos on editing if you have any questions.  Good luck.