Live recording with Cakewalk!

Rico Belled

Hey y'all,

We did our first test recording at my regular Friday gig and it came out great, wanted to share it!

I brought my XPS 13 (oldie, model 9333) and a Roland VS100; we ran a kick mic and overhead for the drums, stereo for the keys and I grabbed a send from the main PA for the vocal. Jeff is such a powerful singer I think he's peaking the pre on this POS mixer they have there so it's a little... well, let's say it's dirty!

All recorded into Cakewalk, which recorded flawlessly for 75 minutes at a time both sets; no overdubs, every note you hear was played live, no tracks, no click (obviously LOL). Full disclosure: I did have to use drum replacer for the Kick because the mic moved right against the head. I did NOT move any notes and DR actually was amazing: had to remove maybe 10 double triggers that shouldn't be there, and add just 1 extra trigger that didn't show. Finally, as I recorded the midi from my Kronos as well, I was able to separate the bass from the rhodes, and send the data from the latter to a Lounge Lizard, just to have a little more options to mix. No quantizing or moving of notes though. Eventually I might use the Midi to perhaps trigger Trilogy and really mix this thing!

Lemmeno what ya think!

R

Edited by Rico Belled
  • Like 2

Great job Rico! I never noticed (yet, half way through song) the singer's mixer showing any signs of distortion. Sound like some of that 'paid for' harmonics that we add!! Good video too. 

And you used the DR? If you wouldn't have siad anything I would have never known. Excelent job.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grem said:

Great job Rico! I never noticed (yet, half way through song) the singer's mixer showing any signs of distortion. Sound like some of that 'paid for' harmonics that we add!! Good video too. 

And you used the DR? If you wouldn't have siad anything I would have never known. Excelent job.

Thanks Grem! Jeff sings so great that a little distortion doesn't matter! And the Drum Replacer was just for the kick, but yes it worked AMAZINGLY!

15 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Well placed overheads can capture the bulk of a good drum-kit sound.

This is a great example of that...

Well done

Yes sir ! Dave does a lot of recording at his house so he knows what he's doing. It's just a single small diaphragm placed right over the middle.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Make me want to do more of this!

Rico

P.S. Attached a picture from my end! That's the Kronos 61, a Korg Taktile 49 and one of my beloved XPS 18s for charts and Ableton .

ricopips.jpg

Edited by Rico Belled

Hey Rico, I knew that it was just the kick you use the DR on, and I was listening for anything out of place on just that kick and I didn't hear anything!! Like I said, great job!!

Tools can do wonderful things when placed in the right hands!

• Haha 1