Tune In Tomorrow

Hidden Symmetry

track8, a little impersonal a title; this was a lot of hard work I'm thinking.

I'm loving the guitar, and them horns is tres sexy!
Is that a wah, as in your foots on it? Or something programmed?
Your chops are killin' me dude, you're "schoolin' the hell outa me"!

I'm a guitar player so the horns are a bit loud when doubled up with the guitar.

That kick is so working for me on this one...

thumbs, Thumbs and more

t

This is very nice! It's hard to judge the mix because I enjoy the music and playing so much. I get a  lot of Mezzoforte vibe here :)

A couple of things you could try to improve this further:

- everything  sounds   nice open wide stereo but drums are very narrow, maybe a wider reverb on the snare wouldn't hurt

- the kick is very snappy in this context and quite hard rock, you could try soften the hit/attack (with a Cakewalk percussion strip if you have it) or try another sample, or just cut between 2-4kHz

- are you sure you want to have the sax and guitar unison such a uniform sound? Why not separate them a bit: other brighter than the other and/or pan them a bit apart

Anyway, I could listen to this all day and forget about lockdowns and place myself somewhere warm and a drink in my hand and and...

Well done!!

Good suggestions.  The melodies are in unison but are panned a bit off each other.  I will check it out again, maybe give them a bit more space.. This was an internet collab, drums are sub-mixed so can't do much, just a hint of room verb . I'll check the beater though.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

What have I been smokin'? Could have sworn this was track8?

27 minutes ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

I'll check the beater

Going with my initial response. Kick is "working" for me; YMMV.....
Especially in the context of the guitar tone, which is not a "warm and fuzzy big box" Gibson;
well mostly, I'm at 3:30ish now. Still not an L5....

1 hour ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Is the gtr, solo at 1:30 too loud?

NO!

t

I would print it, but, serve Your vision, remember, I'm an old (heavy emphasis on that old) rocker.....

Thanks Tom,

Yeah, track 8 turned into track 7!

This project is pretty much wrapped up, just checking others ears. Sometimes I overlook the obvious.

Several months out of the year I make a conscious effort to develop an idea or write a tune each day. These are 10 out of around 60 from 2019 & have plenty from previous years as well.

After working on these for a while now I'm ready to get onto the next batch.

Cheers & be safe...

• Like 2

@Hidden Symmetry I was listing to Mix 1 but change to Mix 2 when I got to it.  which did cause a momentary stutter on the furry paw tapping ;) 

Overtones of Steely Dan, cool grooving, mix two sounds nice here on the Adam's, like Imu2002 I just enjoyed it sweet playing, nice tones, good airy balance, why would you ask for more :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I didn't think the guitar solo at 1:30 was too loud - it sounded just right in the mix.

Cool smooth jazz instrumental - very relaxing.

The mix sounds radio ready to me - nice job.

13 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@Hidden Symmetry I was listing to Mix 1 but change to Mix 2 when I got to it.  which did cause a momentary stutter on the furry paw tapping ;) 

Overtones of Steely Dan, cool grooving, mix two sounds nice here on the Adam's, like Imu2002 I just enjoyed it sweet playing, nice tones, good airy balance, why would you ask for more :) 

5 hours ago, garybrun said:

It was really hard to concentrate on the mix as the song gets you into the groove and you forget you are trying to critical listen.  🙂
Well done...   like it.

Thanks for the comments & feedback guys, appreciate it. The project is done.

Edited by Hidden Symmetry

16 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

really cool, thanks for the morning jazz wake-up!   -Tom

Your welcome- thank you!

15 hours ago, freddy j said:

Radio ready, pal.  Love that funk-jazzy guitar work and that interesting growling sound that comes in panned left around 1:27.  Great composition, performance, and mix!!!

Thanks the kinds words & glad you dug the tune.

• 1 month later...

The ONLY thing that stuck out to me were the hats and the cymbals at times. There's points of the song where it just seems like they take over and then when they disappear I'm back into the song again.

Really impressive work and coordination of so many intricate parts.

I don't think the solo's

On 4/9/2020 at 4:47 AM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Getting close to final mix & masters, need to know if this mix is in the ballpark..Is the gtr, solo at 1:30 too loud?

thanks & be safe...

Larry Carlton?  Lee Ritenour?  Who are you!  Love your songs.  Sounded like a 335, no? I didn't think the solo was too loud.

Edited by David Sprouse