Recording Violin

6 hours ago, Bridget Murphy said:

Piezo pickups can sometimes produce a harsh, unnatural sound when recorded, especially compared to the natural sound you hear live.

The Op hasn’t been on the forum for 2 years. They have a few threads they started and abandoned. 

Since when did that matter... here. :D

I've recorded acoustic guitar with a piezo bridge p/u, a LANCE humbucker p/u, and a diaphragm mic at the same time all routed to separate tracks for a nice blended sound.

My two cents for this OLD thread:

When I record my electric violin, which has 2 piezo pups per string (zeta jazz violin), I try to use either a mic'd bass amp, or simulated bass amp. It helps tremendously to tame the harshness.

Well, that 2 cents didn't go very far, did it?

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:36 PM, sjoens said:

Since when did that matter... here. :D

I've recorded acoustic guitar with a piezo bridge p/u, a LANCE humbucker p/u, and a diaphragm mic at the same time all routed to separate tracks for a nice blended sound.

That sounds like an interesting idea. Thank you for sharing.

Another option is to record with a piezo pickup, then run the audio through an IR to emulate it going through a mic.

Something like this will do the job:  https://pasttofuturereverbs.gumroad.com/l/ovkEn?layout=profile  

Any reverb or cabinet plugin that supports IR's will do the job, although I found I had to increase the gain to the plugin significantly (using an FX chain gives you up to +12db pre/post gain).